Challenge Criterium RS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Matte86

by Matte86

At the moment I’m running the Rs with Reveloop inner tubes, but on the crux for the Getways I used their sealant as it seemed it would have helped in keeping the yellow color.. it didn’t and my LBS had to pour half bottle in each tyres to make them seat
Now after 3 months and a half sealant in bott tyres dried completely
Clearly this sealant stuff is quite annoying

Having said that both RS and Getways are probably the best tyres I’ve run so far

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aryeh

by Aryeh

My tires went from 70 to 20 psi overnight. I initially put in 40ML sealant. I just put in some more. Hopefully they seal.

George46GR

by George46GR

@Aryeh I am afraid that the air retention of the Crits RS is not their "strong" point. They definetely do NOT hold air very well. But for me, this is not a deal breaker as I always check my tyre pressure before my rides. OHG .... they are so supple.....

Yet they make some "noise"... I do not know if this is aerodynamic noise due to their tread pattern or rollong resistance noise.

Does anybody happen to know if the 28mm that are listed in bike discount are the 27mm relabeled or a newer 28mm version ? In the official site, there is only the "new" one, the 28mm wide. But is it actually an newer 28mm or a relabeled 27mm one?

Some more info: On the side walls of the 27mm version is written: 700 x 27 x 622, whereas on the newer one is written: 700 x 28 x 622. Whos knows.....
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

I'll add a data point and say I haven't had any air loss with my RS. I have some Vittoria Corsa Pro and they're maybe a little more supple, but I lose a decent amount of air from those. The RS don't lose any overnight. I usually use around 60ml of sealant on fresh tires, then top up with 10-15ml every so often. They did take a bit for the initial seal and I needed a few days of riding around and reinflating every night. But once I got that first good seal, they've been rock solid air tight.

George46GR

by George46GR

I have also added (approximately) 60 ml of orange sealant (endurance) in each tyre but still have issues with their deflation during the night. But I can handle this....

Mocs123

by Mocs123

@BikeTyson - Curious as to how they compare to the Corsa Pro's.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Mocs123 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:58 pm
@BikeTyson - Curious as to how they compare to the Corsa Pro's.
So I ran the Criterium RS in 27 and the Vittoria Corsa Pro in 28. The RS were a little tighter getting on the wheels, and like I said, took a few days to get them seated and sealed correctly, but have been great since. The Vittorias still lose 5psi or so overnight and I can't figure out where from. I would have to say the Vittoria are a little more supple and ride smoother, but they also measure bigger as well so it could be partially because of the higher volume. They're both fast rolling. On paper the RS are slightly faster, but in the real world it's hard to notice any difference. The tread are both great. I raced many crits on the RS and always felt confident railing corners at high speeds. The Corsa Pro are on my everyday bike and I love the comfort of them. The Corsa Pro do seem to wear faster. I got around 3 months from the rear and it's squared off and the tread is slick. The RS still have lots of life though way less miles. The tread does seem just a little more robust.

So overall, the RS is slightly faster, narrower, and lighter. So it's my crit tire. The Corsa Pro is more supple, so they'll be on the everyday bike for now for comfort. But they wear faster so I might switch that up for a longer lasting training tire. I'm actually really interested to try the Criterium RS in 30 when they get released because I think the higher volume will make them an amazing tire. Maybe even run 28/30 on the crit bike.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Thanks @BikeTyson.

I got my wheels in this morning and got the tires on the wheels, though they are the toughest tire to mount I've ever used. I've got one to seat, but I've got the other I can't get to seat. My little air compressor just get enough juice.

Aryeh

by Aryeh

Mocs123 wrote:Thanks @BikeTyson.

I got my wheels in this morning and got the tires on the wheels, though they are the toughest tire to mount I've ever used. I've got one to seat, but I've got the other I can't get to seat. My little air compressor just get enough juice.
I had the same struggle. Using the soapy water trick seemed to help.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I've finally got both of them seated and am trying to get them to seal. I put 50ml of sealant in each and have been spinning them and laying them flat -switching sides every hour or so. If they hold air well enough to do my four hour ride tomorrow I'll get to ride my new bike - if not, I'll have to wait for NBD.

I hope these things are really good because as of now I'm thinking I should have just stuck with GP5K and latex tubes!

RDY

by RDY

I highly recommend using bead wax for all HTLR Challenge tires. It makes seating a lot more painless. Also whacking them in the oven for 20 minutes at 60C makes them a lot more pliable. Sealing, Caffelatex and Oko have always worked well in my experience. Vittoria and OS Endurance were hopeless.

George46GR

by George46GR

RDY wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:29 pm
I highly recommend using bead wax for all HTLR Challenge tires. It makes seating a lot more painless. Also whacking them in the oven for 20 minutes at 60C makes them a lot more pliable. Sealing, Caffelatex and Oko have always worked well in my experience. Vittoria and OS Endurance were hopeless.
I also use Orange seal Endurance and I am not very satisfied with their air retention. Thus, I don't mind pumping them up before every ride.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

RDY wrote:
I'd not heard of bead wax before - any in perticular that you recomend?

I'm using Challenges own sealant, but have used OS Endurance in the past. I may have to get some Caffelatex and try it - The front tire seems like it sealing fairly well, but the rear tire doesn't seem like it likes to stay about 40 psi or so. In fact I had my bike loaded up for my 100K ride today, but had to swap it out out last minute to my spare bike since I was worried I'd get stranded with a low tire up on the mountain somewhere.

RDY

by RDY

Mocs123 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:17 pm
RDY wrote:
I'd not heard of bead wax before - any in perticular that you recomend?

I'm using Challenges own sealant, but have used OS Endurance in the past. I may have to get some Caffelatex and try it - The front tire seems like it sealing fairly well, but the rear tire doesn't seem like it likes to stay about 40 psi or so. In fact I had my bike loaded up for my 100K ride today, but had to swap it out out last minute to my spare bike since I was worried I'd get stranded with a low tire up on the mountain somewhere.
Shindy 08-901 is the only one I've used and am aware of. I'm sure you could use beeswax though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aryeh

by Aryeh

My tires are holding air now but I had to add a bunch of sealant. It's probably at around 60ml per tire.