Challenge Criterium RS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RDY

by RDY

I'm still holding out for 32s or 33s.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

George46GR

by George46GR

My Crits RS 27, make a lot of .... "noise"(?) Does anybody else have this issue? The sound does not come from the wheel itseft, as I noticed that when I ride on the white line (which is smooth in general), the noise dissapears. It seems that the noise comes from the low quality of the tarmac.

The GP5000 (clinchers and STR) of my friends do not make this sound. Is it due to high rolling resistance or due to the tread pattern ? Any suggestions ?
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I got a set of 27mm at 50% to try on my Farsports 24mm internal/30 external wheels that are on their way. I'm using Continental GP5000 clinchers with latex tubes on 23/30 wheels currently. I've used that combo for a long time and have been reluctant to try anything that might be slower, but I thought I'd give these a go.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

208 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:27 am
Interesting. I might run 28f/30r when time comes to replace my pzeros.
That would be my pick as well.

Aryeh

by Aryeh

I just tried mounting the 27mm version of these tires on my farsports hyper (24mm int, 30mm ext) and I got both tires on the wheels with some difficulty but it wasn't terrible. I tried seating the front tire with my air compressor and I could not get it to seat although I was able to seat it with a CO2 canister. But for the last hour, I've been struggling to get the rear tire to seat. I tried my air compressor, CO2, with the valve, without the valve, with sealant, without sealant, but I can't get it to seat. My air compressor only goes up to 120psi and it seems that it isn't strong enough to seat it.
I'm going to the LBS tomorrow to get my new frame built up, I'm gonna ask them for help.
I've never had this happen with any other tubeless tire I've tried.

by 208

Aryeh wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:18 am
I just tried mounting the 27mm version of these tires on my farsports hyper (24mm int, 30mm ext) and I got both tires on the wheels with some difficulty but it wasn't terrible. I tried seating the front tire with my air compressor and I could not get it to seat although I was able to seat it with a CO2 canister. But for the last hour, I've been struggling to get the rear tire to seat. I tried my air compressor, CO2, with the valve, without the valve, with sealant, without sealant, but I can't get it to seat. My air compressor only goes up to 120psi and it seems that it isn't strong enough to seat it.
I'm going to the LBS tomorrow to get my new frame built up, I'm gonna ask them for help.
Hey mate, try putting some soapy water on the bead of the tyre. Sometimes the tyre grips the hook of the rim enough so that it won't click into place and the soapy water let's it shimmy a little so it can seat properly. This has worked for me whenever I've encountered this problem.

Aryeh

by Aryeh

208 wrote:
Aryeh wrote:
Hey mate, try putting some soapy water on the bead of the tyre. Sometimes the tyre grips the hook of the rim enough so that it won't click into place and the soapy water let's it shimmy a little so it can seat properly. This has worked for me whenever I've encountered this problem.
That worked combined with the air compressor.
I hope it's not this difficult if I ever need to put a tube in.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Aryeh wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:21 pm
208 wrote:
Aryeh wrote:
The tube itself should be enough because you're not losing air. But if you're in a pinch a squirt from your bottle or dare I say it, some saliva might be enough to get the bead to seat.

by 208

Aryeh wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:21 pm
208 wrote:
Aryeh wrote:
Good stuff.

Yeah same as me, never been able to seat my pzeros with just the pump itself. I just use one of those airshot things.

The tyre may stretch a little and click into place a little easier next time. Or just spit on it :lol:

Aryeh

by Aryeh

Is it normal to get bubbles coming out on the edge of the tire? Could it be because of the soapy water?Image

mashiehood

by mashiehood

mine loosened up considerable after a couple of months - relatively easy to take off and put back on

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Aryeh wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:14 pm
Is it normal to get bubbles coming out on the edge of the tire? Could it be because of the soapy water?Image
From what I've read, these tires take a lot of sealant for the initial seal.

Aeo

by Aeo

Normal, same thing happens with Vittoria, Veloflex, and other cotton tyres
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

Mocs123

by Mocs123

My new wheels are coming in either Friday or Monday and I'm planning on mounting 27's on them. I've tried Tubeless once before (GP5KS-TR) but have been back on latex tubes the past year and a half. Since these seem much harder to seal than the S-TR's how much sealant do you recomend injecting into each tire? I used 30ml with the S-TR's but figure that might not be enough if these take some sealant to seal.

Also, has anyone tried Challenges own brand of sealant?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Mocs123 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:19 am
My new wheels are coming in either Friday or Monday and I'm planning on mounting 27's on them. I've tried Tubeless once before (GP5KS-TR) but have been back on latex tubes the past year and a half. Since these seem much harder to seal than the S-TR's how much sealant do you recomend injecting into each tire? I used 30ml with the S-TR's but figure that might not be enough if these take some sealant to seal.

Also, has anyone tried Challenges own brand of sealant?
For reference:
I put 45mL of Orange Seal in a 25mm Strada Pro H-TLR in autumn seasonal conditions and it dried completely in 5 weeks. With most other tires, 45mL of Orange Seal lasts ALL of autumn/winter riding.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com