Challenge Criterium RS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Yoln

by Yoln

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:11 am
RDY wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:18 am
Depends on the road surface. On slick asphalt, yeah, they're lethal. But IMO no more so than similar tires. I.E. I've found the GK Slicks just as bad as Strada Bianca HTLR on smooth asphalt. On rougher tarmac they're certainly not class leading, but not dangerous either.

But the amount of time I ride on smooth asphalt, is very small, and smooth wet asphalt is close to nil.

Anyway once available in larger sizes, these should be my tire of choice for dry weather given the excellent RR at 60psi, and good puncture protection. Challenge say end of year / early next for the bigger sizes. I'd guess there will be a 30 and 33 if they conform to sizing in other tires.

Not my experience at all. With 40mm Strada Bianca Pros I went down instantly (slid out both tires) while taking a slow corner at about 25km/h with barely a lean and no brakes. Everyone else in my group made it around with no issues on regular narrow road bike tires. The road was damp and the surface was standard asphalt/bitumen.

Check the comment section here: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... r#comments
Thanks, that's what I meant by elaborate, didn't realize your experience was coming from the strada-Bianca

Well... that sucks... I had big hopes for these tyres but I won't even try them after reading BRRs comments in the strada-b
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

pkaro

by pkaro

I really want to get these tires but the comments about wet weather grip have me seriously hesitating. I think I'll just go to Conti tires at 28 mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelB

by MichaelB

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:11 am
RDY wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:18 am
Depends on the road surface. On slick asphalt, yeah, they're lethal. But IMO no more so than similar tires. I.E. I've found the GK Slicks just as bad as Strada Bianca HTLR on smooth asphalt. On rougher tarmac they're certainly not class leading, but not dangerous either.

But the amount of time I ride on smooth asphalt, is very small, and smooth wet asphalt is close to nil.

Anyway once available in larger sizes, these should be my tire of choice for dry weather given the excellent RR at 60psi, and good puncture protection. Challenge say end of year / early next for the bigger sizes. I'd guess there will be a 30 and 33 if they conform to sizing in other tires.

Not my experience at all. With 40mm Strada Bianca Pros I went down instantly (slid out both tires) while taking a slow corner at about 25km/h with barely a lean and no brakes. Everyone else in my group made it around with no issues on regular narrow road bike tires. The road was damp and the surface was standard asphalt/bitumen.

Check the comment section here: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... r#comments
Crikey - just fitted a pair of these to my Commter/All road bike. Not Winter here yet, but coming soon.

So if the 40mm Strada Bianca Pro tyres are shite in the wet, whats an alternative that grips in the wet and is OK for the odd gravel in the 36-40mm size ?

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

I looked for the tires withn Germany as they seem to be far superior to S TRs; but no luck except for one dealer at full price. Not gonna throw 90€ / each at them
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

tomask

by tomask

Hi,

Does anyone have mounted them and tested?
It would be intresting to find the real application opinions. How they test on the road. I am little bit concerned about the grip.
For example Getaways are fast and very supple. Even too supple for me and inserts are must for my weight 95kg, without inserts snake bite garanteed.

Cheers

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

Bumping this thread- has anybody got some miles in on these yet? @ LanceLegstrong ?

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

I have a few hundred miles or so on them. All dry weather. I like them so far. I have them set up on my Zipp 404s running around 63/67 psi based on SRAM's guide. I haven't ridden in wet conditions but I've pushed them hard in corners and the grip is fine; haven't felt any slipping or sliding. I don't think I'd be able to tell any difference compared to GP5000s. But I also haven't ridden in wet conditions yet. I'm a fair weather cyclist for sure, so if it's raining I'm likely to just stay indoors. And if it's a race, I'd probably just throw on my LightBicycle wheels with GP5000s, really only because I haven't tested these in wet. Maybe I can take them out after it rains and push a little bit and try not to crash to test them out.

Overall, I'd probably buy them again at the right price. They look sweet on my bike and I'm vain so I care about stuff like that. I'm fine with only using them in dry conditions for now. I also have white shoes that I only wear in dry sunny conditions. GP5000s are cheaper by around $30 per tire these days, which is a big consideration.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

Thank you for the feedback, I'm trying to decide between these and GP5000s TR at the moment.

I was shocked at how thin the conti was compared to the TL version, not sure if it would Stand up to my roads, hence the interest in the challenge tyres.

I will wait to see if I can see any wet weather feedback- sometimes I get caught in bad weather living in the UK so it is a consideration for me.

e4rthm0ver

by e4rthm0ver

Bumping the thread up Any real world wet grip impressions?

mriddle

by mriddle

I installed these tires a couple months ago. While these are not Criteriums nor do I have any experience with them in wet conditions I am starting to have these threads coming off from the tire bed area. Otherwise great tires but unfortunately I would likely not buy again based on these loose threads. Too expensive to have this going on.
Attachments
CCD207B4-6AD2-42D5-8B11-86067BEA24AE.jpeg
F71C5928-0D33-4260-972F-9B6E0E7984DD.jpeg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mriddle wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 2:34 pm
I installed these tires a couple months ago. While these are not Criteriums nor do I have any experience with them in wet conditions I am starting to have these threads coming off from the tire bed area. Otherwise great tires but unfortunately I would likely not buy again based on these loose threads. Too expensive to have this going on.

It’s definitely a thing that happens to the protective strip covering the bead.

viewtopic.php?p=1719561#p1719561

warthog101

by warthog101

I'd give these criteruiums a go if I could find them at a reasonable price.
I hate riding in the rain so wet grip doesn't concern me.
They are up there with Conti tubeless, in terms of price, so won't be happening.

warthog101

by warthog101

mriddle wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 2:34 pm
I'd just cut the loose threads off and keep riding.
Rode Conti GP4k S2 for years and they did the same.
Never an issue if I just cut the threads off as I found them.

Matte86

by Matte86

Does anyone know if I could run these with a TPU tube?
I love the white color and I'd like to mount a pair on my Roval CLX I and try them as I need to replace the TC26 I have on now..
Besides, being a cotton tyre and not a vulcanized one, do you reckon I'm going to loose a lot in rolling resistance or with a Revoloop Race Ultra I could stay on par on what has been tested?
thanks

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Matte86 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:13 pm
Does anyone know if I could run these with a TPU tube?
I love the white color and I'd like to mount a pair on my Roval CLX I and try them as I need to replace the TC26 I have on now..
Besides, being a cotton tyre and not a vulcanized one, do you reckon I'm going to loose a lot in rolling resistance or with a Revoloop Race Ultra I could stay on par on what has been tested?
thanks
Been racing these in crit's with RideNow tubes and like them so far. I don't feel like I'm loosing much grip compared to the TC's (26mm) I was using before with Vittoria latex tubes.

From the BRR testing these have a lower RR than your previous TC26's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com