carbon spokes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xsnailx

by xsnailx

I see that carbon spokes are getting more momentum within chineese oems.
(lightbicycle, drive etc.)

now they are available on aliexpress too. https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/1005004626324990.html
i was thinking about rebuilding my uphill race wheels, wich consist of the following :

Hubs: BITEX RAR9 + Novatec A291SB Superlight
Rims: Farsports FSD25t-23UL
Spokes + Nipples: dt aerolite + Alu Nipples

i have calculated that gain shall be around 58g (44 pcs *(4,34g[dt aerolite]-3g[carbon]), but my question is - will it be worth the hassle?
maybe berd spokes ~2,4g ? are better option (as i have a berd builder 30km around)?

or maybe just forget it and keep the great servicability and simplicity of normal spokes?

jff

by jff

Well, it's up to you, but personally I would say that 430euro for the spokes + two? hours of relacing for 58 gram of savings is noth worth the hassle.
With berd spokes, it's a hassle as well to lace them properly and then I'm not talking about the aerodynamic disadvantage of them.

Going for carbon spokes can be worth if you'd get a good price on a complete wheel(set) with carbon spokes, but other than that you'd better keep the original ones you have.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aesch

by Aesch

jff wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:58 am
Well, it's up to you, but personally I would say that 430euro for the spokes + two? hours of relacing for 58 gram of savings is noth worth the hassle.
With berd spokes, it's a hassle as well to lace them properly and then I'm not talking about the aerodynamic disadvantage of them.

Going for carbon spokes can be worth if you'd get a good price on a complete wheel(set) with carbon spokes, but other than that you'd better keep the original ones you have.
Second that

blackcatwheels

by blackcatwheels

I'm not sure if you'll be able to use standard rims with carbon spokes. The ones I'm using require much larger diameter drilling. Nipples are completely different. Also angles are really important as carbon spoke should go straight from rim to hub without any bend
Handbuilt wheels.
I ride wheels I build, I build wheels for riders
-----------------------------------------------------
https://carbonone.pl/
https://blackcatwheels.ch/

xsnailx

by xsnailx

Thanks all for the replies :) decided to leave them as is and go for a 30g savings on casette (Sram XX XG-1099 vs XTR - [kcnc 10 speed mtb 11-36 is unobtanium atm] / New ul bitex casette body : https://www.bitexhubs.com/htm/pd_detail ... =R07T-NHC2).

it is a pity that extralite does not allow ratios over 1:1 on road hubs an i like to have 36 rear /34-50 front to keep cadence on a few races that have > 25% climbs here

milanv

by milanv

xsnailx

by xsnailx

milanv wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:57 pm
Nice thread
viewtopic.php?t=169803
Thomas, do you have any idea how to save some grams further from this wheelset ? :) any help will be appreciated i am desperately hunting for last grams without compromisig durability and raceability for my Extralite -> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171157&start=15

Dont feel comfortable with full aluminium casettes tho ;-)
blackcatwheels wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:00 pm
I'm not sure if you'll be able to use standard rims with carbon spokes. The ones I'm using require much larger diameter drilling. Nipples are completely different. Also angles are really important as carbon spoke should go straight from rim to hub without any bend

blackcatwheels

by blackcatwheels

xsnailx wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:34 pm
milanv wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:57 pm
Nice thread
viewtopic.php?t=169803
Thomas, do you have any idea how to save some grams further from this wheelset ? :) any help will be appreciated i am desperately hunting for last grams without compromisig durability and raceability for my Extralite -> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171157&start=15

Dont feel comfortable with full aluminium casettes tho ;-)
blackcatwheels wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:00 pm
I think the easiest would be to lace those wheels with extralite hubs. You would save few grams.
Handbuilt wheels.
I ride wheels I build, I build wheels for riders
-----------------------------------------------------
https://carbonone.pl/
https://blackcatwheels.ch/

xsnailx

by xsnailx

blackcatwheels wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:50 pm
I think the easiest would be to lace those wheels with extralite hubs. You would save few grams.
front - yes but what is stopping me is the rear - because they will not allow me to use 36/34 ratio as per their website: "CyberRear freewheel mechanisms are suitable for road and cyclocross use (and not MTB) with a maximum shortest ratio of 1:1.
Shorter ratios may produce excessive torque and damage freewheel mechanism."

need to think about it if 34/34 will be ok

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com