New bike time - 2023 Scott Addict, 2023 Scott Foil, 2023 Tarmac SL7, 2022 Madone...thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HBike

by HBike

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:32 am
HBike wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 am

Scott Addict has 5mm mandatory spacer as far as I know, so .15cm less reach. For an 58 frame the SL7 and Addict RC are almost equal in stack then when including these, but STA is smaller for the Scott, so you sit >6mm further back than on the SL7, depending on saddle height.
Your saddle setback is your saddle setback. STA is only a problem if the combination of STA, seatpost and saddle do not meet your setback needs.
LOL. Similar to reach, using your sentence: Use a different stem. Reach is only a problem, if the combination of HDA, stem length and frame reach do not meet your needs. ;-)

I would have to use a different post, as Scott provides a 20mm setback option only for 56 and up, another 300 Euros. I don't want to move the saddle too far forward with carbon rails, being a larger and stronger rider than average and having to use bumpy roads from time to time. The Tarmac system weight isn't that large.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

HBike wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:36 am

LOL. Similar to reach, using your sentence: Use a different stem. Reach is only a problem, if the combination of HDA, stem length and frame reach do not meet your needs. ;-)

I would have to use a different post, as Scott provides a 20mm setback option only for 56 and up, another 300 Euros. I don't want to move the saddle too far forward with carbon rails, being a larger and stronger rider than average and having to use bumpy roads from time to time. The Tarmac system weight isn't that large.

The bars/stem are a control surface and the distance from the steering center matters. The saddle is a fixed point. It does not move.

If you don't want to buy the correct setback post for your fit, that's your problem. It doesn't mean you move your saddle to compensate.

HBike

by HBike

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:02 am
HBike wrote:

The bars/stem are a control surface and the distance from the steering center matters. The saddle is a fixed point. It does not move.

If you don't want to buy the correct setback post for your fit, that's your problem. It doesn't mean you move your saddle to compensate.
Lame excuse in my opinion. I can apply your argument to the front, too.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

HBike wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:52 am

Tobin is right. A bike with long reach and a short stem will behave completely differently from a bike with short reach and long stem, for the same fit. Even if all other things are equal at the front.

But in the back, everything is fixed so there is no impact in any way whether you have the seat slid forward on a bike with slack STA vs slid back with a steel STA to reach the same final position.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

HBike wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:52 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:02 am
HBike wrote:

People seem to think that they can buy any bike and adapt their position to fit the bike, when the truth is there is a very small "window" of fit that is ideal for each people based on their proportions, flexibility, etc
How many threads do you see of people asking for fit advice because they have numb hands, neck pain, knee issues, etc?
Far too many IMO

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

These days i would guess either best price or availability is the thing? (or both)
Am i off saying i guess Scott is the easiest to get at a discount?
I'm still intrigued by S5 :-)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

George46GR

by George46GR

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:34 pm
These days i would guess either best price or availability is the thing? (or both)
What if someone (me...) wants the stiffest bike he can have? (no flexing seatpost, super stiff bottom bracket area). The new Scott Foil or the new Cervelo S5 ? Thanks
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

George46GR wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:27 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
What if someone (me...) wants the stiffest bike he can have? (no flexing seatpost, super stiff bottom bracket area). The new Scott Foil or the new Cervelo S5 ? Thanks
Not sure, but from what i have understood by reading, it would be S5.
Also, Scott uses PF86 (a standard which should be burried).
I would pick S5 and not look back.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

George46GR wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:27 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
parlee RZ7 lol. two-bolt aero seatpost. 1.25 inch steerer. carbon box stem. 35mm bars. im 85kg.