New bike time - 2023 Scott Addict, 2023 Scott Foil, 2023 Tarmac SL7, 2022 Madone...thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

Alright folks...after two years of not being able to find a damn thing in my size 61-62cm. I've finally caught a break.

Local Scott dealer has one 61cm 2023 Foil coming, should be here next week. They are also checking on getting a 61cm Addict. Early reviews on the new Foil say it is far more comfortable than the past generation Foil. Also, I know a guy that's high enough up at Trek he thinks he can get me a 62cm Madone by early Spring. Local Specialized dealer says they can get me a Tarmac by Christmas. So all of the sudden and rather unexpectedly I'll have some options.

Current bike is a 2017 Roubaix - so any of the above will be lighter even with electronic groupsets, leaning towards Rival eTap at this point.

Most of the bikes above with the exception of the Tarmac come with, what appear to be, good wheels. The Tarmac would leave enough in the budget to upgrade the wheels.

A couple of the group rides I do can get pretty feisty and one in particular has a hotzone that's 10 miles long that we'll do at 25-28mph. So some of my riding does have some relatively high speeds where some of the benefits of these newer frames might actually be worth something over my roubaix which a friend of mine now calls "the brick".

Many of my rides are 60-80 miles, hoping to add more centuries so some level of compliance is needed and why if I went with Scott it would need to be the 2023.

Right now this is how I have them ranked in my head:
Foil
Addict
Tarmac
Madone

I think the Tarmac is objectively better than the Addict, but it doesn't look as good (stupid reason I know) and it's quite a bit more expensive.

Given the shortage of bikes right now, I can't really test ride anything except the Scott next week. As a result I'd appreciate any thoughts and/or comments on the above bikes and what and why you'd prefer if you were in my shoes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Your top option "Foil".
It would be my choice to.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

the jackel

by the jackel

I'm not sure many people will have first hand experience of Foil and Madone so it will mostly be theoretical advice on those two. You have chosen 2 full aero and 2 aero optimised bikes. From the basic info above it doesn't sound like full aero matches the type of riding you do.

If that's correct then I'd go for the Addict. You prefer the look of it, it's cheaper and it's really not going to be objectively worse than the Tarmac. As popular as the Tarmac is I repeatedly hear that's it's not as comfortable as people expect. The tarmac is so popular round here that not having one seems like a more attractive choice.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

In these times i think you should pick the bike you think looks best.. seriously.. They are so close these days..

I would try the new madone if it was me.. I know the tarmac is a top pick, but it's soon "old" the scotts looks great but the resell is not so good on those..

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hm, looking at resale value, i have no clue what is the best option!?
Probably not starting off buying a new bike at all.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

Definitely the Foil or Madone as they're the newest

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Definitely the foil! Aero bikes also help with bigger frames as the tube shapes will be a bit stiffer (longer thinner tubes aren't as ideal especially if your bigger size = bigger power.. my second choice would be the Madone for the same reason but I can't get past the look of it
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

spartacus

by spartacus

the jackel wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:59 am
I'm not sure many people will have first hand experience of Foil and Madone so it will mostly be theoretical advice on those two. You have chosen 2 full aero and 2 aero optimised bikes. From the basic info above it doesn't sound like full aero matches the type of riding you do.

If that's correct then I'd go for the Addict. You prefer the look of it, it's cheaper and it's really not going to be objectively worse than the Tarmac. As popular as the Tarmac is I repeatedly hear that's it's not as comfortable as people expect. The tarmac is so popular round here that not having one seems like a more attractive choice.
The tarmac is super comfortable, if anything it could be stiffer

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:30 pm
I've never really cared about resale value...should I?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

OUGrad05 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:34 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
you should not
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:39 pm
OUGrad05 wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
you should not
Didn't think so. It's a shame so many bike shops treat possible customers like trash. Went by one of the local Specialized dealers today and it was a starkly terrible experience compared with my experience at the Trek shop and Scott shop. Disappointing for sure.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

OUGrad05 wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
No, buy what you believe in :thumbup:
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Conradsleight

by Conradsleight

Is Factor an option? Loving my new Ostro.

TheMalahat

by TheMalahat

I haven't ridden anything near the current generation Trek, nor have I ever even touched a Foil.

However I have the 2020 Addict RC20; they've since improved the specs a bit, and it's just a fantastic all around bike.

That said, I think the advice of what looks best as long as it feels good is on point for 99% of us. All these bikes could be ridden far better than I'm capable of 😅

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zero7

by Zero7

I'm in the camp that says buy whichever bike appeals to you the most.