Giant Propel 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

benelliracing

by benelliracing

DeeDoubleYou wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:13 pm
FFS, how is he now managing to spam me via email after being blocked on here!?
No one has been blocked, messages outside the forum are allowed. :smartass:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

benelliracing wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:43 pm
DeeDoubleYou wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:13 pm
FFS, how is he now managing to spam me via email after being blocked on here!?
No one has been blocked, messages outside the forum are allowed. :smartass:
Sorry, I thought it was the same person that kept posting in here about some crappy plastic insert for the stem that the moderators stopped?
Either way, I think unsolicited emails to people trying to sell stuff in that way is a dick move.

spartan

by spartan

new colorway introduced in taiwan. maybe in summer 2024 it will be in stock LOL

Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

serif

by serif

New gıant tcr Do you know any progress?

gransport

by gransport

Anyone hear anything on when we may start seeing Porpels in the US? I know they randomly trickle in, but my LBS isn't getting much info from their rep.

HBike

by HBike

CharlieDG wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:02 pm
What are people's impressions of the SLR 1 50mm wheels? I currently ride the SLR 1 42mm wheels, which are shallower at 42mm and narrower at 19.4mm. They are lighter though. Will I notice much of a performance upgrade moving from the 42 to the 50? I am attracted by the aero properties of the deeper and wider rim.
Im interested in that, too. The rims are the same shape as the Cadex Ultra 50s as far as I know and should perform nicely. But I would be interested in experience with tubeless setups, actual width of tires (e.g. GP5000 S TR 28c ...) etc.
I think they provide a nice package regarding aero and weight for the money, in addition to Giants generous weight limit compared to many other brands.
The SLR 2 were criticised for the larger hub engagement angle, so that should translate to the SLR 1, too.

bedampft

by bedampft

HBike wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 4:27 pm
CharlieDG wrote:
What are people's impressions of the SLR 1 50mm wheels? I currently ride the SLR 1 42mm wheels, which are shallower at 42mm and narrower at 19.4mm. They are lighter though. Will I notice much of a performance upgrade moving from the 42 to the 50? I am attracted by the aero properties of the deeper and wider rim.
Im interested in that, too. The rims are the same shape as the Cadex Ultra 50s as far as I know and should perform nicely. But I would be interested in experience with tubeless setups, actual width of tires (e.g. GP5000 S TR 28c ...) etc.
I think they provide a nice package regarding aero and weight for the money, in addition to Giants generous weight limit compared to many other brands.
The SLR 2 were criticised for the larger hub engagement angle, so that should translate to the SLR 1, too.
They're fine. Have been on them for about 4k now. Havn't used my 36mm since I got the 50s. The 12° engagment is not really an issue, same goes for cross winds. But I kinda hate the noise, quite fed up with loud freehubs by now. The ride feel is way nicer then the 42mm Rims. I'm running them with 25mm Pro Ones (measured 27,5mm), TL Setup was easy (never had any issues on Giant Rims so far).

New colors (for most Bikes) will be announced in autumn, same goes for a new Defy. Next year Trinitiy, and after that a new TCR, but the later not before 2025.

HBike

by HBike

bedampft wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 10:20 pm
HBike wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 4:27 pm
CharlieDG wrote:
They're fine. Have been on them for about 4k now. Havn't used my 36mm since I got the 50s. The 12° engagment is not really an issue, same goes for cross winds. But I kinda hate the noise, quite fed up with loud freehubs by now. The ride feel is way nicer then the 42mm Rims. I'm running them with 25mm Pro Ones (measured 27,5mm), TL Setup was easy (never had any issues on Giant Rims so far).

New colors (for most Bikes) will be announced in autumn, same goes for a new Defy. Next year Trinitiy, and after that a new TCR, but the later not before 2025.
Thanks.

JayDee81

by JayDee81

Engagement angle isn't an issue on road bikes if it's not something like 90° and even then it would be useable I guess. You simply pedal all the time on a road bike and don't have to adjust for roots and things like when you ride off road.

Poddle

by Poddle

Haggarty wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:52 pm
Is anyone able to provide the size measurements for the aero bottle cages of both the down tube and seat tube for the 2023 propel?
Want to see if either might work with my frame (which isn’t a propel)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interested in this too as I'd like to fit a Propel bottle cage to the downtube of my 2021 TCR, only because the cage fits so neatly.

Mindflash

by Mindflash

HBike wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:10 am
Can confirm, in general very nice wheels.I am currently running stock Giant tires in 25mm and will move to 28mm. The are narrower than wheen width and expose wheel lip to rock chips. Hate the freehub noise too. It is L O U D. 😮

RDY

by RDY

Poddle wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 2:50 pm
Haggarty wrote:
Is anyone able to provide the size measurements for the aero bottle cages of both the down tube and seat tube for the 2023 propel?

Interested in this too as I'd like to fit a Propel bottle cage to the downtube of my 2021 TCR, only because the cage fits so neatly.
I'd imagine they work ok with most frames with a wideish downtube ... but besides looking neat, I doubt there's much aero gain as there's no aero bottle and they're more minimalist than the more integrated BMC ones.

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

Just something to note, the cages are tight. Very tight. I use Elite Fly 550ml bottles and they certainly require a very deliberate action to remove them, I can't see you losing one over a bump in a hurry!

CharlieDG

by CharlieDG

Anyone know when the Propel frameset will be avaiable in the UK?

Haggarty

by Haggarty

RDY wrote:
Poddle wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 2:50 pm
Haggarty wrote:

I'd imagine they work ok with most frames with a wideish downtube ... but besides looking neat, I doubt there's much aero gain as there's no aero bottle and they're more minimalist than the more integrated BMC ones.
I have just received one and fitted it to my BMC roadmachine01. The down tube one actually matches the contours of the frame well. Issue is I now need a matching one and fairly certain the seat tube one won’t work well with my frame!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com