Giant Propel 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Joris818

by Joris818

I emailed Deda and they have the wedge in their online shop. It's 40 euros including shipping which I think is fairly expensive but it seems like it will do the job.
I made the purchase yesterday, I'll report back when it arrives.
https://dedaelementi.com/giant-d-shape-spacer

ColnagoJohn

by ColnagoJohn

Anybody know what the biggest tyre size will fit the propel in the real world? i know the official blurb says 30mm max, just wondering if anyone had tried 32mm or something like that? looking at getting corsa control pro tyres in 32mm as my training / bad roads tyres onto shamal wheels with internal width of 21mm.
i dont physically have my framset yet otherwise i would measure the clearance on 30mm tyres myself

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

ColnagoJohn wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:37 pm
Anybody know what the biggest tyre size will fit the propel in the real world? i know the official blurb says 30mm max, just wondering if anyone had tried 32mm or something like that? looking at getting corsa control pro tyres in 32mm as my training / bad roads tyres onto shamal wheels with internal width of 21mm.
i dont physically have my framset yet otherwise i would measure the clearance on 30mm tyres myself
Not sure, but tyre size will depend on the wheel. A 32mm tyre on a 21ID wheel might be ok but on a 25mm ID wheel might not fit well.

Maddie

by Maddie

This is with 28 GP5000 TT TR on 24int/30ext wheels from FarsportsImageImageImage

Maddie

by Maddie

6.62kg without saddle bag and bidonsImage

HBike

by HBike

Maddie wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:52 am
This is with 28 GP5000 TT TR on 24int/30ext wheels from FarsportsImageImageImage
Nice - what is the tire width on these rims and how much space is there approximately - it is difficult to deduce that from the images, just looks barely sufficient.

Nice bike, looks like EXS Aerover cockpit.

mazador

by mazador

Maddie wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:13 pm
6.62kg without saddle bag and bidonsImage
What's going on at the rear axle/ dropout? And is that an aftermarket derailleur hanger?

Maddie

by Maddie

The tires measure 30.5mm. On the front it's maybe 3mm distance to fork and at the chainstays it's 4-5mm. I think 30mm will not work on the fork but I haven't tried. 30mm should be alright at the back. But 32mm...? I don't think so.

I removed the paintjob completely. The silver part is an aluminium drop out that is glued to chainstays and seatstays. I have a thread in the gallery forum where you can read everything about it: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174933

It's an aftermarket direct mount hanger. I de-anodized it and then anodized it blue

HBike

by HBike

Maddie wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:38 pm
The tires measure 30.5mm. On the front it's maybe 3mm distance to fork and at the chainstays it's 4-5mm. I think 30mm will not work on the fork but I haven't tried. 30mm should be alright at the back. But 32mm...? I don't think so.

I removed the paintjob completely. The silver part is an aluminium drop out that is glued to chainstays and seatstays. I have a thread in the gallery forum where you can read everything about it: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174933

It's an aftermarket direct mount hanger. I de-anodized it and then anodized it blue
Thanks!

mazador

by mazador

I'm in the process of moving parts to a new Advanced Pro 0 Di2. Couldn't find many weights for the bits and pieces online, so put anything that was fairly easy to pull off the bike on a scale.
GPS mount + bolts: 32g + 9g
Front aero cage: 36g
Rear aero cage: 26g
Cage bolts 4x: 5g
Thru axles: 35 + 44g
Carbon thru axle lever (4mm): 20g
Seatpost (base + clamp hardware): 194g (111 + 83g)
Seatpost Di2 battery expander: 11g
Seatpost clamp rubber cover: 4g
Front derailleur mount (inc bolts): 16g
Topcap (inc bolt): 7g
Aero SL stem 110mm: 236g
Stem bolts 4pcs: 15g
Stem faceplate: 22g
RD hanger (2 pcs + screw): 13g (12+5)
Steerer expander: 42g
Stem spacer 10mm: 6g each
Stem spacer 5mm: 3g each
Stem spacer 2.5mm: 3g each
Seatpost wedge: 30g

Don't really want to cut the hydraulic lines and pull Di2 cables so can't directly get the frame, topcone, final spacer etc. Will do some estimates by subtraction later. There is about 200g in the small parts and the stem and seatpost clamping hardware are pigs. The SLR stem is about 100g lighter, but makes sense to wait for the CADEX cockpit later this year (Autumn?). Giant could have made some easy gains as there is a reasonable amount of low hanging fruit: machined thru axles (TL12SL), alternate seatpost clamping hardware (haven't seen anything outside of aliexpress), carbon FD mount (nothing out there?) and a direct mount hanger (Sigeyi GNT-TH2) that isn't lighter but lets you remove the link from the RD. Overall not too bad though and a few positive suprises.

I only took notes not pictures, but most of the parts are still on the workbench if anyone is interested.

patliean1

by patliean1

Maddie wrote:

I'm currently running my Propel with Magene's EXAR Ultra DB508 wheels paired with GP5K 28s and TPU tubes. 23int/30ext. The tires measure 30mm at the wheel. Last week I experimented using GP5K STR 30c tires ran tubeless. The tires measured about 30.5mm. No problems with clearance, but I just didn't like they way the felt overall. I prefer the road feedback and tire profile of the 28s.

The Magene EXAR is stellar combo with the Propel. Only my Craft Racing Works CS5060 wheels are probably an even better setup, but that front wheel on the CS5060 can be twitchy at times. Magene needs to update their decals though. Yuck

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Joris818 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:45 am
I emailed Deda and they have the wedge in their online shop. It's 40 euros including shipping which I think is fairly expensive but it seems like it will do the job.
I made the purchase yesterday, I'll report back when it arrives.
https://dedaelementi.com/giant-d-shape-spacer
Hey!
Does it work out?

eugenechristophe

by eugenechristophe

Quick question, I recently adquire a Propel 2023, and I've got the idea to put an integrated handlebar.

We can only use the Cadex or the Pro, or can we use another brand with te Od2 compatibility?

Thanks!

bedampft

by bedampft

eugenechristophe wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 3:30 pm
Quick question, I recently adquire a Propel 2023, and I've got the idea to put an integrated handlebar.

We can only use the Cadex or the Pro, or can we use another brand with te Od2 compatibility?

Thanks!
Any OD2 will do. BUT!!! you absolutley have to use a D shaped spacer to fill in the gap. Best to use an aluminium one from Deda for example.

kitchencity

by kitchencity

Maddie wrote:
The tires measure 30.5mm. On the front it's maybe 3mm distance to fork and at the chainstays it's 4-5mm. I think 30mm will not work on the fork but I haven't tried. 30mm should be alright at the back. But 32mm...? I don't think so
Useful info, thanks.

That's surprisingly much tighter than a TCR. By way of comparison, I've a '22 Advanced TCR also with a 30.5 WAM tyre and clearance under the crown allows a 8mm rod to pass with a rattling fit, a 9mm rod lightly touching to pass but not a 10mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com