Giant Propel 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ColnagoJohn

by ColnagoJohn

vincentb89 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:09 pm
I've enquired last week with my giant lbs in Paris and they told me beginning of July the earliest for the 38/40 model
yeah im waiting on the 38bar x 110 stem. maybe my patience will run out and i buy a cheap stem and cheapest bars i can find just to complete my build because my experience with estimated deliveries is that they only ever go one way, and thats further into the future!!
Options are quite limited though for stems and even bars need to have the central hole for cable routing

bedampft

by bedampft

Eterna7m wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 pm
Got 'em

How's the handlebar doing bedampft?
Havn't got the time to build the bike as of yet. Maybe in the next 10 days or so.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

patliean1

by patliean1

Eterna7m wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:29 pm
I am sorry but what is going on with those spacers on the stem???
Rather than using standard round OD2 spacers, he instead is using the spacers that are specifically designed to be used underneath the stem.

Those same spacers came with my Contact SLR stem to of course accommdate routing the cables. But I had to separately order a set of oversized round spacers if I planned on running spacers above the stem.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163740192483

jezsanchez

by jezsanchez

Hey all, I've been watching this thread in the lead up to buying a Propel. I put together the new whip on the weekend. I ended up transferring my 38cm aliexpress vision metrons (long story but thought they were genuine from a FB marketplace but I'm fairly certain they are knockoffs. Regardless they feel great and I have run them for a year now with no issues). Stem will most likely be slammed and the steerer cut accordingly but it didn't feel right to cut the whole hog straight away.

Jez
Attachments
PXL_20240408_021143528~2.jpg
PXL_20240408_021120904~2.jpg

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

Where do you get that spacer/filler/adapter?
I really want to run a Pro Vibe Evo
Attachments
evo2.png
evo2.png (64.63 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
evo1.png
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

jezsanchez

by jezsanchez

Martin.dk wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:17 pm
If you can't get hold of one easily I'd be happy to model one up and you can have it 3d printed by a bureau close to you. PM me if needed.

Cheers

pmprego

by pmprego

Martin.dk wrote:
Is the filler an official giant supply?? I guess if it is, then a giant store/representative would get you one.

bedampft

by bedampft

pmprego wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:51 am
Martin.dk wrote:
Is the filler an official giant supply?? I guess if it is, then a giant store/representative would get you one.
No. Giant says only to use their stems.

PRO also has no spacer available. You have to use something else. From the issues I have atm, I would highly recommend not to use a plastic/ 3D printed one.

Maddie

by Maddie

EXS supplies a 3D printed spacer/filler for the integration of their Aerover on the Propel. The fit of this filler is very tight. And when I received the spacer adapter from Farsports (F1 handlebar), they sent the adapter plus the exact same 3D printed filler that I received from EXS. I'm sure if you contact one of these companies, they can send you one.

pmprego

by pmprego

bedampft wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:24 am
pmprego wrote:
Martin.dk wrote:

PRO also has no spacer available. You have to use something else. From the issues I have atm, I would highly recommend not to use a plastic/ 3D printed one.
That was my idea... nonetheless, cadex now has those new integrated cockpits with some of them having round clamping. How are they gonna solve it?

bedampft

by bedampft

pmprego wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:49 am
bedampft wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:24 am
pmprego wrote:
Martin.dk wrote:

That was my idea... nonetheless, cadex now has those new integrated cockpits with some of them having round clamping. How are they gonna solve it?
The Cadex come with a D spacer. But you can't get these seperate from Giant. At least not before the bars hit the shelfs in late summer.

Issue with the 3D printed ones is the sizing and also material. The one I got with the Avian Falcon 2 is to small and also made out of a rather soft plastic.
I'll hopefully get the Deda Vinci spacer (that is Aluminium) in the next 2 weeks. But up until then, I'm not riding the Propel. It's just not save.

KyleH

by KyleH

Im really surprised how light this built up. Missing pedals and bar tape but should still be under 16#. I didnt measure everything individually but I bet there is some weight that could be shed here with an EXS Aerover bar, lighter cages, and 9250 build but Im happy with how its set up now. Lighter than my 52cm SW Venge was with the same build.

Size small, 8170 group, Quarq D1/XCadey/9200 powermeter, Giant 90mm stem, Giant 40cm bars, Stealth Superlight Saddle, Roval Rapide CLXI wheels, Giant cages.

Last edited by KyleH on Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bedampft

by bedampft

Nice build!

Mine is 7,6kg all in and ready to ride. Size is ML.

Joris818

by Joris818

I just received my Bigrock Skyline handlebars. Quality seems to be great. However, it doesn't come with a D-shape wedge.
Did you guys just mount the handlebars without the wedge? Or am I missing something?

Edit: I replied before I reached the last pages in this topic. I have sent a mail to Deda to hopefully purchase an aluminium wedge.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jezsanchez

by jezsanchez

3d printing the wedge will be fine. Two options that will work is 100% in fill if printing in pla or get it printed in HP fusion jet PA11 which is very close to injection moulded properties.

That said, if exs or any other supplier can send you one that's even easier!