Giant Propel 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RadB

by RadB

Impressions from people riding on these revised wheels?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

pmprego wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:56 am
But if the steerer is non-round, how do they make it possible? The round clamping of the stem will just not tighten equally.

I'm very noob in this regard but I'm not seeing how does this work. Any clarification is very appreciated.
You can see here in this build video that the EXS Aerover (round clamping OD2) fits perfectly on the bike with the standard spacers

Not sure about the science behind it all but if it works, it works
RDY wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:05 pm
Does the stock spacer cover work with normal stems (for semi-integrated setup)?
Yes, the spacers work similar to Emonda and the Propel's stock bar/stem is semi-integrated to begin with as the cables run underneath, entering the bars directly through an angled-down centre hole as opposed to the stem which has a hollowed-out underside

lewisjd91

by lewisjd91

eins4eins wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:35 am
Is this the same colorway and its just lighting?

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:56 am
eins4eins wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:35 am
Is this the same colorway and its just lighting?
Yes.
Not quite, top one is Nebula link to Spanish giant they seem to get all the colours! bottom is Stardust link

IMO this is the best colour Swirly galaxy Image

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Yes you're right. Not the same paint. I actually like the nebula a lot more. The bike looks almost completely black from most angles.

I ordered a Stevens Arcalis frameset but now i can get the Propel SL frameset as well. I love the idea to build a light aero bike, but i'm not sure about the ISP. I fiddle a lot with saddles and saddle height.

js

by js

A fun question for us armchair aero-nerds - If Kristin Faulkner had ridden the new Enviliv (Propel) instead of the Langma, would she have won Strade Bianche on the weekend? Her move went with a touch over 40k to go, she was solo into the last km climb, finishing 18 seconds down from first in the end.

I get it's the riders that make the race (plus the odd horse), but given it was one rider solo and then two team-mates doing the most critical chasing of Faulkner, so presumably no tactics beyond catching up as soon as possible, I have to think this may have been one of the few cases an aero frame and handlebar could have really helped.

Seems Liv / Jayco are missing a beat not supplying the best "breakaway bike that just happens to climb well" for a rider like Faulkner too.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

js wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:29 pm
A fun question for us armchair aero-nerds - If Kristin Faulkner had ridden the new Enviliv (Propel) instead of the Langma, would she have won Strade Bianche on the weekend? Her move went with a touch over 40k to go, she was solo into the last km climb, finishing 18 seconds down from first in the end.

I get it's the riders that make the race (plus the odd horse), but given it was one rider solo and then two team-mates doing the most critical chasing of Faulkner, so presumably no tactics beyond catching up as soon as possible, I have to think this may have been one of the few cases an aero frame and handlebar could have really helped.

Seems Liv / Jayco are missing a beat not supplying the best "breakaway bike that just happens to climb well" for a rider like Faulkner too.

We will never know. Kristen may have built a gap faster, which would have been reported across team radio and rallied chasers earlier. But yes, given the timing of her attack, the Enviliv would have been a better choice.

pmprego

by pmprego

Given the timing of her attack she should have taken the most aero setup she could find. She would not have won with it because sd worx managed their chase to catch her in the final ramp so she could not respond or hang on with them.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pmprego wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:40 am
Given the timing of her attack she should have taken the most aero setup she could find. She would not have won with it because sd worx managed their chase to catch her in the final ramp so she could not respond or hang on with them.

Judging by Vollering's interviews, she seemed surprised that Kopecky bridged to her, though in hindsight Vollering likely would not have caught Kristen without the help. She seemed even more surprised at the finish when Kopecky contested for the win.

RDY

by RDY

js wrote:

I don't know how clearance may vary on the new Enviliv to the new Propel, but for the new Propel, 30mm tires are a really tight fit at the back from my understanding. Maybe tighter than you'd want to run with some big chunks of gravel being picked up by the tires at SB. It looked like her bike had 30s.

pmprego

by pmprego

RDY wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:37 am
js wrote:

I don't know how clearance may vary on the new Enviliv to the new Propel, but for the new Propel, 30mm tires are a really tight fit at the back from my understanding. Maybe tighter than you'd want to run with some big chunks of gravel being picked up by the tires at SB. It looked like her bike had 30s.
Good remark. The langma has clearance for 32mm

benelliracing

by benelliracing

User banned for two weeks for continuing to spam the forum after being warned

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

What’s the difference between non SL advanced and advanced pro? Carbon seat tube?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

BadBoyR wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:45 pm
What’s the difference between non SL advanced and advanced pro? Carbon seat tube?

Not sure I understand the question fully, but I think you are asking what the difference is between the non-SL models?
Advanced and Advanced Pro have the same frame, Pro has the one piece fork off the SL and will have better finishing kit

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

DeeDoubleYou wrote:
BadBoyR wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:45 pm

Not sure I understand the question fully, but I think you are asking what the difference is between the non-SL models?
Advanced and Advanced Pro have the same frame, Pro has the one piece fork off the SL and will have better finishing kit
Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

sethjkay
Shop Owner

by sethjkay

RDY wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:37 am
js wrote:

With the stock Cadex tyres that measure 27.5mm when inflated to 70psi, there is around 6mm of clearance between the tyre and the chainstays on the new Propel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com