Giant Propel 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jz91

by Jz91

jude188 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:58 am
Martin.dk wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:37 am
I really like the look of this. Especially the horizonal top tube 🤩

And the Force/Ultegra models a ok priced i DK as well as 👍🏻
Not that light though given that they use a lower grade frameset. Someone posted in another thread that the version with Rival is going to come in at 8.2kg which would mean the Ultegra version would be around 7.8-7.9kg. That's not awful these days but also not impressive and kind of a shame given how light the builds around the SL frameset seem to be coming out. I'd guess that with the SL frameset (~200g) and new Cadex wheels (~200g) you'd save another 400g which would take it down below 7.5kg which feels much more interesting. Typically, the price difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra bikes (with all other components the same) seems to be around £1,500/€1,500 which which would bring this bike down potentially around the £8,000/€8,000 mark (if they also dropped the Dura Ace power meter)? This is still an absurd amount of money for a bike but at least it's under £10,000/€10,000!

I don't understand why bike brands don't seem to be offering top tier frames with groupsets that people should actually buy. Dura Ace just doesn't make sense given that even Shimano say that Ultegra performs just as well. The only difference Dura Ace and Ultegra is <200g of weight (when you ignore Dura Ace level consumables like chain and cassette).

It's one of the things still pushing me towards the Ostro over either the Tarmac SL7 or this new Propel. You can get the top tier frameset with a sensible groupset and when you calculate out the value proposition it isn't too far off an Ultegra specced SL7 with upgraded wheels and aero bars. An Ultegra tier Advanced SL version would make a lot of sense imo. But it is what it is... :noidea:
I've checked the weights of the SL on the Japanese website.

Size S it's stated at 920g !! I'm actually surprised complete builds come at 6.8kg albeit without pedals.

As I live in a place with lots of mountains I'm still not sure the propel is the best choice.

I would have liked to see 100g or so less on the frame. True weight includes seat post but the ISP clamp adds another 100g to the frame.

jude188

by jude188

Jz91 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:36 am
I've checked the weights of the SL on the Japanese website.

Size S it's stated at 920g !! I'm actually surprised complete builds come at 6.8kg albeit without pedals.

As I live in a place with lots of mountains I'm still not sure the propel is the best choice.

I would have liked to see 100g or so less on the frame. True weight includes seat post but the ISP clamp adds another 100g to the frame.
I think it's probably fair to take ~65g off the frame weights for the SL models? I say this based on the fact that the ISP clamp is ~105g and an example seat post (Factor Ostro VAM) is ~170g. So to compare to other frames maybe 855g? But you're right that's still not that light. I reckon a lot of the lightness is actually in the new Cadex wheels which are ~200g lighter than a lot of the competition.

So S-Works Tarmac SL7 is still the lightest? Followed by Ostro VAM, Aeroad CFR and Propel all in a similar ball park?
Last edited by jude188 on Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:14 am
The Scott loses points for absolutely looking horrendous.

The Canyon was pretty close to vaporware for the past 12 to 18 months. It is becoming available now, and the builds are well priced and pretty interesting (the Rotor DA9200, DT looks really good imo).

Giant and SL7 the best looking bikes for me.
Both also sub 7.
Interesting.. I find the Scott the best looking.. 😳🙄
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Mocs123 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:48 am
When they first posted prices the Advanced SL was $10,000USD and the Advanced Pro was $5,800USD now the prices are $12,500USD for the Advanced SL and $8,000USD for the Advanced Pro.

That probably puts it out of the price I'm willing to spend on a bike.
Wait...what just happened??? I had seen earlier sites that had $5800 as well. I was just waiting for the US website to upload and was gonna order. Now...nope. Back to Canyon, I guess.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

My favorite new bike.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Yeah, $8K for the Advanced Pro kinda takes them out of the value territory since Specialized, who has always been priced at the top of the market has the Tarmac SL7 Expert for the same price. I had already planned on ordering one in December, but I guess I'll either look for a better value bike or just keep riding what I've got already.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

spartan

by spartan

wtf giant. they seem to be price gouging at this point. we will raise price to match Spec/Trek/Scott ...
Canyon i really wanted to buy the new AeroRoad. minimal drag penalty for external cables. They still refuse to do a complete revamp of the seatpost
to fix the play.

https://www.tour-magazin.de/rennraeder/ ... tour-test/
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

spartan wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:48 pm
wtf giant. they seem to be price gouging at this point. we will raise price to match Spec/Trek/Scott ...
Canyon i really wanted to buy the new AeroRoad. minimal drag penalty for external cables. They still refuse to do a complete revamp of the seatpost
to fix the play.

https://www.tour-magazin.de/rennraeder/ ... tour-test/
But the indication of stack and reach doesn't comply with Canyons geometry table
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

bobones

by bobones

Any news on the prices of the framesets?

The TCR Adv SL frameset retails for around £2.5k, which is good value compared to many of the other top frames, so it's hard to see how Giant can justify a big hike on that.

It will be interesting to see if Giant keep going with the TCR as its USPs are not attractive to the mainstream market, namely external cables and rim brake options, and the new Propel is light enough that I don't see many people preferring the TCR unless they specifically want external cables or rim brakes.

spartacus

by spartacus

The SL7 is has excellent ride quality and can use any cockpit. With the canyon you can't even buy a different cockpit and the seatpost is jank. The giant is the only bike so far I've seen that I would consider against the sl7, especially if it's cheaper.

Jz91

by Jz91

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the two piece system with giants own integrated bar?

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

Is that PAINTinside the BB86 shell? :shock:

Hambini moment
Attachments
Propel BB86.jpg
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

jude188

by jude188

spartacus wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:23 pm
The SL7 is has excellent ride quality and can use any cockpit. With the canyon you can't even buy a different cockpit and the seatpost is jank. The giant is the only bike so far I've seen that I would consider against the sl7, especially if it's cheaper.
Not the Factor Ostro VAM? Interested as to why not?

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Propel and SL7 are same aero, SL7 is lighter, and my LBS deals Spesh. I am not getting a new bike any time soon but I know what I would get... SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

jude188 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:58 am
Martin.dk wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:37 am
I really like the look of this. Especially the horizonal top tube 🤩

And the Force/Ultegra models a ok priced i DK as well as 👍🏻
Not that light though given that they use a lower grade frameset. Someone posted in another thread that the version with Rival is going to come in at 8.2kg which would mean the Ultegra version would be around 7.8-7.9kg. That's not awful these days but also not impressive and kind of a shame given how light the builds around the SL frameset seem to be coming out. I'd guess that with the SL frameset (~200g) and new Cadex wheels (~200g) you'd save another 400g which would take it down below 7.5kg which feels much more interesting. Typically, the price difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra bikes (with all other components the same) seems to be around £1,500/€1,500 which which would bring this bike down potentially around the £8,000/€8,000 mark (if they also dropped the Dura Ace power meter)? This is still an absurd amount of money for a bike but at least it's under £10,000/€10,000!

I don't understand why bike brands don't seem to be offering top tier frames with groupsets that people should actually buy. Dura Ace just doesn't make sense given that even Shimano say that Ultegra performs just as well. The only difference Dura Ace and Ultegra is <200g of weight (when you ignore Dura Ace level consumables like chain and cassette).

It's one of the things still pushing me towards the Ostro over either the Tarmac SL7 or this new Propel. You can get the top tier frameset with a sensible groupset and when you calculate out the value proposition it isn't too far off an Ultegra specced SL7 with upgraded wheels and aero bars. An Ultegra tier Advanced SL version would make a lot of sense imo. But it is what it is... :noidea:
Regarding weight. I live in Denmark, and we don't have anything even remotely close to a mountain. It's pancake flat where I live, but with a lot of wind. Plus I'm a recreational rider so everything about the Force/Ultegra bike works for me
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes