Giant Propel 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

johnsonmoog wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:10 pm
I've just seen that Giant UK have some of the new Propels for order on their site, including this rather nice Propel Advanced Pro 0:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/prope ... 0-di2-2023
Just been looking at one in the flesh at my LBS. My one was in a box round the corner still!

blueridgemtns

by blueridgemtns

Nickldn wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:08 pm
johnsonmoog wrote:
I've just seen that Giant UK have some of the new Propels for order on their site, including this rather nice Propel Advanced Pro 0:
Shame 38cm bars do not come with the size S frame. It comes with 40cm bars, which makes it a no no for me.

It's not clear if 38cm bars will be available separately, but I guess it is possible to use other suitable bars with the new stem and keep internal routing. No idea which bars would work well tho.
Currently they do not have 38's available as an aftermarket purchase, which is silly as is the general spec. You need a bar that has a central hole/port in the clamping area. There are a number of good aftermarket options that have this port/hole: Deda Superzero RS, FSA Vision Metron Aero, Enve SES Aero, Aerocoach Ornix, 3T Aeroflux, and Prime Primavera Carbon Aero.

I have an XS Advanced Pro 0 DI2 that just arrived, I purchased 38's (they measure them as 40 but it's outside to outside) Deda Superzero RS bars, and my shop ordered me a 130 Giant Propel SLR stem. Generally speaking, if you want to see what Giant is offering stem and bar-wise, head to their Japanese site.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nickldn

by Nickldn

blueridgemtns wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:34 am
Nickldn wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:08 pm
johnsonmoog wrote:
Shame 38cm bars do not come with the size S frame. It comes with 40cm bars, which makes it a no no for me.

It's not clear if 38cm bars will be available separately, but I guess it is possible to use other suitable bars with the new stem and keep internal routing. No idea which bars would work well tho.
Currently they do not have 38's available as an aftermarket purchase, which is silly as is the general spec. You need a bar that has a central hole/port in the clamping area. There are a number of good aftermarket options that have this port/hole: Deda Superzero RS, FSA Vision Metron Aero, Enve SES Aero, Aerocoach Ornix, 3T Aeroflux, and Prime Primavera Carbon Aero.

I have an XS Advanced Pro 0 DI2 that just arrived, I purchased 38's (they measure them as 40 but it's outside to outside) Deda Superzero RS bars, and my shop ordered me a 130 Giant Propel SLR stem. Generally speaking, if you want to see what Giant is offering stem and bar-wise, head to their Japanese site.
Thanks for the advice, I'm sure it's possible to modify this Propel (unlike the last one which has some really strange bars), but for once I'd like to buy a bike with the right fit straight out of the box, not mess around with changing bits.

If I have to do that I might as well do what I always do and buy a frameset to build up from scratch.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

RadB

by RadB

I don't disagree bars are generally too wide for any sized frame, but it's the same issue across all brands afaik. Not sure I'd equate a bar swap with building up a whole bike, but don't let me talk you out of it. That's one more propel available for someone!

blueridgemtns

by blueridgemtns

RadB wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:44 am
I don't disagree bars are generally too wide for any sized frame, but it's the same issue across all brands afaik. Not sure I'd equate a bar swap with building up a whole bike, but don't let me talk you out of it. That's one more propel available for someone!
Yeah, the only major brand that gets it close to right while still having everything be easily swappable at this level of bike is Specialized BUT tack on an extra $1500-2000 and they are also completely unavailable. Trek and Canyon's dedication to one piece bars with weird stem length/bar width combos for which they don't have easy replacements for consumers is a mess.

Mindflash

by Mindflash

Advanced Pro 0 Di2 is 5399€ in Slovenia, that looks like a very good value in comparison to competition.

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

Mindflash wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:23 pm
Advanced Pro 0 Di2 is 5399€ in Slovenia, that looks like a very good value in comparison to competition.
That looks inrecdibly cheap in comparison to the UK pricing! (If £5999 is roughly €6800?)

Maddie

by Maddie

Mindflash wrote:Advanced Pro 0 Di2 is 5399€ in Slovenia, that looks like a very good value in comparison to competition.
Including VAT?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973U1 mit Tapatalk

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

Doesn't that say it's €6,199?

IvanZg

by IvanZg

DeeDoubleYou wrote:
Doesn't that say it's €6,199?
Those guys are always having some sort of deals on the bikes on stock so the red price will probably be the one you'll end up paying.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

pmprego

by pmprego

Just buy them in Portugal. Portugal just decreased bikes VAT from 23% to 6% (utilities such as gas and eletricity pays 23% because they are not considered essential products - bikes are). I'm talking about 1k-2k savings.

RDY

by RDY

pmprego wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:41 pm
Just buy them in Portugal. Portugal just decreased bikes VAT from 23% to 6% (utilities such as gas and eletricity pays 23% because they are not considered essential products - bikes are). I'm talking about 1k-2k savings.
Has to be in PT. Has to be at a shop that's actually abiding by the new VAT. Has to be at a shop willing to supply to a foreigner who's going to immediately take it out of the country. Which from what I've heard so far isn't too easy. Also unfortunately it's just complete bikes and maintenance & repairs atm ... parts are not included (despite being part & parcel of maintenance & repairs).

But I really hope this is the thin end of the wedge and it's EU wide soon. It should have been done 20 years ago.

pmprego

by pmprego

RDY wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:49 pm
pmprego wrote:
Has to be in PT. Has to be at a shop that's actually abiding by the new VAT. Has to be at a shop willing to supply to a foreigner who's going to immediately take it out of the country. Which from what I've heard so far isn't too easy. Also unfortunately it's just complete bikes and maintenance & repairs atm ... parts are not included (despite being part & parcel of maintenance & repairs).

But I really hope this is the thin end of the wedge and it's EU wide soon. It should have been done 20 years ago.
As I said, buy them in Portugal. In Portugal. Then you can take it whatever you want.

Any shop has to abide with the new vat law just because it is the law. Any shop cannot reject to sell just because it is to a foreigner because... Its against the law. Laws you know.

As for it should be done years ago... I would start by electricity and gas and food. Not bikes. But that's just me.

Lina

by Lina

RDY wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:49 pm
pmprego wrote:

A shop that doesn't follow tax laws and refuses sales just based on someone's nationality sounds like a shop that won't be in business for very long.

Also for what comes to taxes, VAT is one of the best types of taxation. It's very difficult to evade, no matter how you make your money you have to buy stuff. And if you're buying that stuff from legit shops, which most are you'll end up paying taxes on it. You can't go abroad to buy it at a lower rate unless you live on the border or it's a very big ticket item. Even if you get all of your money illegally and don't pay taxes on it you're paying VAT on everything you buy. It's also progressive on the way that the more money you spend the more taxes you pay. It doesn't discourage people from working or investing. Of course having lower rate for essentials like food, energy, utilities, etc. can be a good idea. Bikes could also be in that category for transportation reasons, especially for providing a green way of transportation that makes people do something other than sit on their asses all day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com