Giant Propel 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:37 pm
Is that PAINTinside the BB86 shell? :shock:

Hambini moment
Whaat?? :shock: Where is this pic from?

Looks like poorly custom repainted frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

Roadrocket wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:33 pm
Whaat?? :shock: Where is this pic from?

Looks like poorly custom repainted frame.
Dream Build | NEW Giant Propel Advanced SL | 2022 - 2023 | NEW Cadex Aero Wheelset
road bike channel YouTube
https://youtu.be/z9zBE6Do0tA
Attachments
road bike channel propel 2023 dream build.jpg
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

CustomMetal wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:49 am
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:14 am
The Scott loses points for absolutely looking horrendous.

The Canyon was pretty close to vaporware for the past 12 to 18 months. It is becoming available now, and the builds are well priced and pretty interesting (the Rotor DA9200, DT looks really good imo).

Giant and SL7 the best looking bikes for me.
Both also sub 7.
Interesting.. I find the Scott the best looking.. 😳🙄
Agree with you! Probably one of the better considering ride feel to
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

jude188 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:30 am
FlatlandClimber wrote:
The Canyon was pretty close to vaporware for the past 12 to 18 months. It is becoming available now, and the builds are well priced and pretty interesting (the Rotor DA9200, DT looks really good imo).
Canyon loses points for lack of adjustability. There's lots of innovation in handlebars at the moment in my opinion (for example Speeco) and so being able to fit 'standard' parts is important. I'm 184cm and ride a 38cm bar day to day (and would like to try going down to 36cm) and know folks who race on 28cm bars! The Canyon CP0018 only goes down to 39cm... All well and good having a quick bike but if you can't get yourself into an optimally fast position comfortably it's kind of pointless.
For sake of curiosity i asked Canyon if they can change lenght of the cockpit before they ship the bike.
Nope, you have to do it yourself + pay full retail for a version of your desired lenght (and width).
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

spartacus

by spartacus

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:07 pm
jude188 wrote:
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Canyon loses points for lack of adjustability. There's lots of innovation in handlebars at the moment in my opinion (for example Speeco) and so being able to fit 'standard' parts is important. I'm 184cm and ride a 38cm bar day to day (and would like to try going down to 36cm) and know folks who race on 28cm bars! The Canyon CP0018 only goes down to 39cm... All well and good having a quick bike but if you can't get yourself into an optimally fast position comfortably it's kind of pointless.
For sake of curiosity i asked Canyon if they can change lenght of the cockpit before they ship the bike.
Nope, you have to do it yourself + pay full retail for a version of your desired lenght (and width).
And that's if any are in stock. And yeah, slap a 36cm bar on a competitive bike and now it's faster than any aeroad. That and the bizzare seatpost design has made me lose all faith in canyon and their engineering. How can you take them seriously?

spartacus

by spartacus

jude188 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:02 pm
spartacus wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:23 pm
The SL7 is has excellent ride quality and can use any cockpit. With the canyon you can't even buy a different cockpit and the seatpost is jank. The giant is the only bike so far I've seen that I would consider against the sl7, especially if it's cheaper.
Not the Factor Ostro VAM? Interested as to why not?
It looks good on paper but I'm not that familiar with them and I never see them around. In the US you can get better support buying something like a specialized is all.

RDY

by RDY

K4m1k4z3 wrote:

Hambini moment
Nah, man. It's a DREAM BUILD. Obviously they color matched the retaining compound to the frame's paint :D

pmprego

by pmprego

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:07 pm
jude188 wrote:
FlatlandClimber wrote:
But its cheaper. Just ride what they give you. (I'm being sarcastic!)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Custom painted bearing/BB cup bores are the new hotness.

Robius

by Robius

K4m1k4z3 wrote:

Hambini moment
Oh my goodness it's properly painted for real. :lol:
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

RadB

by RadB

I can imagine the staccato sound of a gun going off as a hambini BB gets pressed in. The file work on the ISP and steerer tube was painful to watch.

darrydonds

by darrydonds

bobones wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:02 pm
Any news on the prices of the framesets?

The TCR Adv SL frameset retails for around £2.5k, which is good value compared to many of the other top frames, so it's hard to see how Giant can justify a big hike on that.

It will be interesting to see if Giant keep going with the TCR as its USPs are not attractive to the mainstream market, namely external cables and rim brake options, and the new Propel is light enough that I don't see many people preferring the TCR unless they specifically want external cables or rim brakes.
Or, a considerably more affordable price.

Jz91

by Jz91

bobones wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:02 pm
Any news on the prices of the framesets?

The TCR Adv SL frameset retails for around £2.5k, which is good value compared to many of the other top frames, so it's hard to see how Giant can justify a big hike on that.

It will be interesting to see if Giant keep going with the TCR as its USPs are not attractive to the mainstream market, namely external cables and rim brake options, and the new Propel is light enough that I don't see many people preferring the TCR unless they specifically want external cables or rim brakes.
External cables aside, I'm still trying to figure out if I should go for the tcr or propel as almost every ride where I live entails long climbs.

There's still some weight difference that leaves me wondering and in doubt.

Edit: in both cases I'm talking about the SL frame so no 9kg Propel with rival

Sace

by Sace

Martin.dk wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:47 pm
Regarding weight. I live in Denmark, and we don't have anything even remotely close to a mountain. It's pancake flat where I live, but with a lot of wind. Plus I'm a recreational rider so everything about the Force/Ultegra bike works for me
Yeah I live in the same-ish area as you and would not bother about the weight either. The wind is much more annoying here than the hills :D

The Ultegra version is priced close to what I gave for my SL7 Ultegra last winter. Now the SL7 is way more so I agree that the pricing of the Giant seems fair! If it wasn't for the seatpost I would go with the Canyon but I also lost all faith in that design.

Btw. For me the ISP design is much worse than a propritary handlebar/stem combo. I sit relatively low and would never buy a bike and cut it to my saddle height.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

Sace wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:04 pm
Martin.dk wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:47 pm
Regarding weight. I live in Denmark, and we don't have anything even remotely close to a mountain. It's pancake flat where I live, but with a lot of wind. Plus I'm a recreational rider so everything about the Force/Ultegra bike works for me
(...)

Btw. For me the ISP design is much worse than a propritary handlebar/stem combo. I sit relatively low and would never buy a bike and cut it to my saddle height.
And apparently this system doesn't save that much weight anyways. I always thought it was a weight thing but it is not. I can't understand the decision. The isp is immediately a "not interested in this bike".