Giant Propel 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RadB

by RadB

Looks good, is that a Large? Have you ridden a propel with a pair of 65s previously?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stjepan

by stjepan

RadB wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:42 pm
Looks good, is that a Large? Have you ridden a propel with a pair of 65s previously?
Yes, it's a L. I haven't ridden a Propel before so it's new territory for me. But expect it to be blitzing fast. The wheels certainly are.
If anyone is interested, the weight with Cadex 65, 105 mech group set, Spesh Romin Mirror saddle and Ultegra pedals comes in at 8,48kg. That's without a computer mount and bottle cages.

RadB

by RadB

Okay, fwiw I run a pair of hyper 65s on my MY20, all I'm suggesting is be mindful giant didn't spec that pair...for a reason. As corroborated by myself and others here and in other forums, it is wildly unstable in certain conditions, usually descending at speeds over 65kph ime, and requires intervention of knee on top tube to keep it controllable. I'm not suggesting MY22 will behave the same, but I understand the geometry is similar, the wheelbase only a few mm more etc. so I would mindful on the first few descents, even if it turns out to be nothing. Either way, yes it will be fast 👍

stjepan

by stjepan

RadB wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:48 am
Okay, fwiw I run a pair of hyper 65s on my MY20, all I'm suggesting is be mindful giant didn't spec that pair...for a reason. As corroborated by myself and others here and in other forums, it is wildly unstable in certain conditions, usually descending at speeds over 65kph ime, and requires intervention of knee on top tube to keep it controllable. I'm not suggesting MY22 will behave the same, but I understand the geometry is similar, the wheelbase only a few mm more etc. so I would mindful on the first few descents, even if it turns out to be nothing. Either way, yes it will be fast 👍
Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware of this. So you are not talking about crosswind, just general handling control issues at those speeds with 65s on the Propel? Although, to be fair, my downhill skills prevent me from going over those speeds anyway. :)
I did manage to take the bike for a short spin yesterday with no real descents, just a couple of kickers so can't comment on that aspect yet. But wow is this combo fast! My last reference aero bike was Scott Foil 2021 with Zipp 404 Firecrest. This Propel with Cadex 65s "feels" much faster and the wheels also seem to hold speed better than Zipps and spin easier. I was grinning the whole way :D

pwhee

by pwhee

DeeDoubleYou wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:00 pm
It's finally here!
Very nice bike. What is your saddle height in the picture?

For some reason the Giant configurator advises me a Giant TCR size L and Giant Propel ML so I'm confused.

m3bas

by m3bas

RadB wrote:
I found this too running 60mm HED wheels. After a stage race with massive crosswinds that almost had me clipping out a foot to balance sometimes I went back to a TCR. It was super twitchy even at the best of times. I think the new Propel has identical geo to the TCR, which should make it a weapon, if I could get one I probably would.

RadB

by RadB

stjepan wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:21 pm
RadB wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware of this. So you are not talking about crosswind, just general handling control issues at those speeds with 65s on the Propel? Although, to be fair, my downhill skills prevent me from going over those speeds anyway. :)
I did manage to take the bike for a short spin yesterday with no real descents, just a couple of kickers so can't comment on that aspect yet. But wow is this combo fast! My last reference aero bike was Scott Foil 2021 with Zipp 404 Firecrest. This Propel with Cadex 65s "feels" much faster and the wheels also seem to hold speed better than Zipps and spin easier. I was grinning the whole way :D
Congrats! No not crosswinds, I've only had it descending. I've repeated with a 45mm front wheel and whoosh, problem is gone. Anyway, that's all boring, go and enjoy your new bike!

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

pwhee wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:56 pm
DeeDoubleYou wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:00 pm
It's finally here!
Very nice bike. What is your saddle height in the picture?

For some reason the Giant configurator advises me a Giant TCR size L and Giant Propel ML so I'm confused.
About 80cm, I'm 186cm tall.
I've got another Propel and a TCR which are also Large.
I don't know why the configurator would have deferent sizes, the geometry is pretty much identical!?
For reference, how my set up looks when on a TCR...
Attachments
6A7E4374-09AB-49A8-B3C1-A968F2BEC947.jpeg

pwhee

by pwhee

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like I'm in between sizes. Was considering ML for my next bike. I have ridden many large TCR's with 1.87 height and similar wingspan. 89.5 cm inseam and 78 cm saddle height. 120 mm stem with one 3 mm spacer. I used to ride 79.5 cm saddle height but lowered throughout the years with new pedals, shoes, insoles, saddle shape resulting in less stack height and getting older and less flexibel :)

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

pwhee wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:04 pm
Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like I'm in between sizes. Was considering ML for my next bike. I have ridden many large TCR's with 1.87 height and similar wingspan. 89.5 cm inseam and 78 cm saddle height. 120 mm stem with one 3 mm spacer. I used to ride 79.5 cm saddle height but lowered throughout the years with new pedals, shoes, insoles, saddle shape resulting in less stack height and getting older and less flexibel :)
Yeah, I was considering an ML as I think the size charts put me right at the top of it. But the fact that I've been riding "identical" geo bikes for the last 6 years or so I stuck with it Large. Also meant I could drop the stem and run with no spacers, whereas I'd probably need a few still on an ML!

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

The new EnviLiv just dropped

First ever Liv aero bike to be offered in Advanced SL layup (Envie & old EnviLiv maxed out at Advanced Pro) and the top model is offered with a conventional seatpost like the TCR equivalent Langma Advanced SL. If you like the Propel Advanced SL but dislike the ISP, this is the one to get.

The Advanced SL frameset comes with a lighter Vector SLR seatpost and the Contact SLR Aero bar is now offered in narrower 360mm & 380mm sizes.

EDIT: found this Italian article with weight and rigidity data for the Advanced Pro. The Advanced SL frameset is only 106.5g lighter than the Advanced Pro all-in (1482g v. 1588.5g) which is honestly not that impressive considering those gains are coming from both the frame and seatpost (Advanced Pro uses Advanced SL fork IIRC).
Last edited by StiffWeenies on Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RadB

by RadB

It's 2023 and I'm not afraid to say I'd consider it, with a paint job 😁, but the bar in my size is still 40cm, wth are they smoking.

RDY

by RDY

StiffWeenies wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:17 am

First ever Liv aero bike to be offered in Advanced SL layup (Envie & old EnviLiv maxed out at Advanced Pro) and the top model is offered with a conventional seatpost like the TCR equivalent Langma Advanced SL. If you like the Propel Advanced SL but dislike the ISP, this is the one to get.

The Advanced SL frameset comes with a lighter Vector SLR seatpost and the Contact SLR Aero bar is now offered in narrower 360mm & 380mm sizes.
Are they not doing a 58, or they are and it's only in some territories? A possible 58 would probably fit me perfectly.

But that paintjob? Most of the Liv ones are pretty nice ... that looks like a poorly trained ML bot did it.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

StiffWeenies wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:17 am

Quite a different bike though. Geometry is less aggressive than the giant and the frame design also seems to be slightly different (seatstays for example).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

RDY wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:32 pm
Are they not doing a 58, or they are and it's only in some territories? A possible 58 would probably fit me perfectly.
I don't think Liv bikes generally come in that large a size. Usually taller women just ride a Giant like Jayco's Teniel Campbell who I believe rode a Liv liveried TCR last season.