Giant Propel 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rowdyyy

by rowdyyy

Now thats hot

nigel379

by nigel379

Some beatiful Propels. Any chance one of you lucky guys can measure the width of the downtube by the bottle cage. Wondering if by chance the width is close enough I could run of those sexy cages on my system six. Thanks in advance!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Renne

by Renne

DeeDoubleYou wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:00 pm
It's finally here!
Looks great!
What size is that? Got a weight?

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

nigel379 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:59 am
Some beatiful Propels. Any chance one of you lucky guys can measure the width of the downtube by the bottle cage. Wondering if by chance the width is close enough I could run of those sexy cages on my system six. Thanks in advance!
Does this help?
Attachments
E27914D6-8516-4441-94F9-E6D5163BA585.jpeg

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

Renne wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:46 pm
DeeDoubleYou wrote:
It's finally here!
Looks great!
Large Pro 0 Di2
With stages single sided PM, Ultegra pedals, the bottle cages and Garmin mount Giant provide, a Garmin Edge 530 and a little light that fits in the saddle, it's 8.0kg according to my cheapo baggage scales.

Scania123

by Scania123

DeeDoubleYou wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:53 pm
Renne wrote:
DeeDoubleYou wrote:
It's finally here!
Looks great!
Large Pro 0 Di2
With stages single sided PM, Ultegra pedals, the bottle cages and Garmin mount Giant provide, a Garmin Edge 530 and a little light that fits in the saddle, it's 8.0kg according to my cheapo baggage scales.
Congrats on a very nice bike! Are you planning to keep the handlebars? What's your first impressions of them? I'm also eyeing this exact model and size but it feels wrong with 440 mm wide handlebars on an aero bike. Also, 175 mm long cranks are slightly too long for me so quite a lot of parts to swap.

nigel379

by nigel379

DeeDoubleYou wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:50 pm
nigel379 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:59 am
Does this help?
Super helpful, thanks so much! Unfortunately for me it's about 8mm narrower than the system six downtube. Oh well.

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

Scania123 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:28 pm
DeeDoubleYou wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:53 pm
Renne wrote:
DeeDoubleYou wrote:
It's finally here!
Looks great!
Large Pro 0 Di2
Congrats on a very nice bike! Are you planning to keep the handlebars? What's your first impressions of them? I'm also eyeing this exact model and size but it feels wrong with 440 mm wide handlebars on an aero bike. Also, 175 mm long cranks are slightly too long for me so quite a lot of parts to swap.
I'll be honest, I haven't been out on it yet!

I agree on the handlebar front, I'm not a small guy but they do feel a little wide compared to the 420mm Zipps on one of my other bikes... I'll see how I go. I may change them in the future, but maybe let the bank balance recover a bit first!

The crank length doesn't bother me so much, I was considering going for an ML to get the narrower bars, but I'd the want a longer stem and would also have shorter cranks (the ML has 172.5mm) than my other bikes... toe overlap was a concern too.

At the end of the day, I have another Propel and a TCR both in a Large that fit me fine, so I err'd on the side of caution and stuck with a Large again this time.

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

Don't get me wrong it's a lovely looking bike but for the price I can't get my head around the fact that manufacturers are basically saying you have to put up with their arbitrary component choices and sizes...

robwa

by robwa

DeeDoubleYou wrote:
It's finally here!
Great to see a large size frame finally! I'm waiting on the same bike in Australia due somewhere between April and June (ordered in December)
What computer mount was included with the bike? I'll need one that i can mount a light below the computer.
Now that you've hopefully had a ride what are your impressions. The more detail the better ha.

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

Shamefully, I still haven't ridden it... I've had a minging cold and the roads are still in crappy winter mode here at the moment.
The computer mount looks to be specific to this stem as the bolts on the face plate are spaced wider than any of my others. As you'll have guessed, it fixes using the bottom two bolts on the face plate of the stem, comes with Garmin and other inserts, can also take an additional fitting underneath such as a light or camera.
9B5DE0FC-30C1-4F69-BB3B-0C424E333A31.jpeg
I don't think I actually like it... I'm not keen on the hinge and also the way it rises up to bring the computer level with the top of the stem. I'd prefer it to stay low and come straight off the bottom two bolts. I'm sure it will be fine, but I am currently keeping an eye out for something K-Edge, Fouriers or similar to replace it

bobones

by bobones

I got one of those mounts with my TCR, and I'm using it with a standard Zipp stem on another bike. I like having the computer flush with the top of the stem so this works well for me. One thing I didn't realise for months is that the mount is telescopic, so you can pull and push it to suit different sized computers.

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

bobones wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:44 pm
I got one of those mounts with my TCR, and I'm using it with a standard Zipp stem on another bike. I like having the computer flush with the top of the stem so this works well for me. One thing I didn't realise for months is that the mount is telescopic, so you can pull and push it to suit different sized computers.
I didn't think this mount would fit any other stems? The bolt spacing on this is about 30mm and all the other bikes and stems I have are more like 25mm (it might be 26mm, not sure if it's a standardised spacing normally?)

bobones

by bobones

DeeDoubleYou wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:06 pm
bobones wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:44 pm
I didn't think this mount would fit any other stems? The bolt spacing on this is about 30mm and all the other bikes and stems I have are more like 25mm (it might be 26mm, not sure if it's a standardised spacing normally?)
Maybe the TCR supplied one is different, but I've got it fitted to a Zipp Service Course SL stem, which I thought just had standard spacing, although I've never measured it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stjepan

by stjepan

I got my Propel yesterday, fitted the Cadex 65s on. Tomorrow is first ride day - can't wait! :)

One question - can anyone confirm what is the safe torque to be applied when mounting carbon railed seat?
Attachments
IMG_9107.jpg