Giant Propel 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

Arsey wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:33 am
When is this thing being released in the UK?
I was in my LBS earlier, Giant are supposedly updating the UK website over the New Year with details on builds/prices etc., but with regards to when we can expect them... still a bit vague, although Feb had been mentioned previously.

darrydonds

by darrydonds

RDY wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:08 pm
There are a few factors why not many people are excited about this.

a) People were looking forward to seeing what Giant would do with a new full on aero bike with new UCI regs. This isn't it.
b) No choice of front end due to proprietary steerer interface.
c) Unobtainium.
d) What do they do with the TCR now? I can't see them turning it into an Aethos style noodle. The new Propel easily hits the UCI limit with low profile rims. Discontinue the TCR? Do a switch and make it the flagship model again, and full on aero bike? Do that and put it under the Cadex brand?
"a few factors why not many people are excited about this [Propel '23]"

One of said "factors":

"What do they do with the TCR now?"

Makes absolutely no sense.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

darrydonds wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:23 pm
RDY wrote:

a) People were looking forward to seeing what Giant would do with a new full on aero bike with new UCI regs. This isn't it.
c) Unobtainium.
d) What do they do with the TCR now? I can't see them turning it into an Aethos style noodle. The new Propel easily hits the UCI limit with low profile rims. Discontinue the TCR? Do a switch and make it the flagship model again, and full on aero bike? Do that and put it under the Cadex brand?
"a few factors why not many people are excited about this [Propel '23]"

One of said "factors":

"What do they do with the TCR now?"

Makes absolutely no sense.
It's constantly raised in every discussion where the Propel comes up ... It's talked about almost as much as the Propel itself. If that's one of / the main talking points for the new bike, it would tend to feed into a lack of excitement about it.

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

I missed the whole piece where not many people are excited about it?

stoney

by stoney

I have a TCR Pro now but if I were buying a new bike the Propel would be at the top of my list...not another TCR.

benelliracing

by benelliracing

spartan wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:55 pm
a real beauty shame only very few select giant stores can order this frameset.
build with a pro vibe evo cockpit. i thought this was not possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpdQMaqLFaU
RDY wrote:

c) Unobtainium.
Pro Vibe evo is the most beautiful universal handlebar ever made!

TheMalahat

by TheMalahat

I'm excited but can't buy the darn thing! 😂

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

Does anyone have a picture of the new Propel in the size XL?

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Or Small?

blueridgemtns

by blueridgemtns

I would also question the statement that 'there is a lack of excitement about the Propel'. I know four people (five including myself) who have one on order. I loved my previous Propel and this bike is not only a substantial step forward addressing the previous model's weaknesses but also is a significantly better deal then anything from Trek, Specialized, etc......even Canyon if you factor in Canyon's spec'ing of narrow wheels and unavailable handlebar/stems that make them nearly impossible to fit.

Here's a link to an image of a small Propel.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClazTpouH6f ... MyMTA2M2Y=

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

spartan wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:55 pm
build with a pro vibe evo cockpit. i thought this was not possible?
It's kind of like Cervelo. The stock Contact SLR Aero stem has a D-shaped clamping area, but the D-shaped steerer accepts round clamping OD2 stems without needing a shim.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Interesting how the owner photos of colorways look better than on Giant's own site. Though I feel they'd look a bit better (either the team color or the purpleblackberry in the Small above) with a bit less gloss.

Lina

by Lina

twoangstroms wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:27 pm
Interesting how the owner photos of colorways look better than on Giant's own site. Though I feel they'd look a bit better (either the team color or the purpleblackberry in the Small above) with a bit less gloss.
Giant has always been really bad about showcasing their paint jobs.

blueridgemtns

by blueridgemtns

Lina wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:34 am
twoangstroms wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:27 pm
Giant has always been really bad about showcasing their paint jobs.
Agreed, although I've seen the purple Propel in person and for once the image on the website is pretty accurate. The challenge with all over their newer, higher quality paint jobs is that they do change quite a bit depending on the source of light.

It's a great looking bike, definitely more blue than purple.

benelliracing

by benelliracing

blueridgemtns wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:00 pm
I would also question the statement that 'there is a lack of excitement about the Propel'. I know four people (five including myself) who have one on order. I loved my previous Propel and this bike is not only a substantial step forward addressing the previous model's weaknesses but also is a significantly better deal then anything from Trek, Specialized, etc......even Canyon if you factor in Canyon's spec'ing of narrow wheels and unavailable handlebar/stems that make them nearly impossible to fit.

Here's a link to an image of a small Propel.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClazTpouH6f ... MyMTA2M2Y=
I believe that in 2023 it is impossible to create ugly components, how can you still make an SL stem with that hole!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com