Giant Propel 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

Giant U.K. are saying no framesets only this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

js

by js

No UK framesets definitely sucks. If it's any consolation though, I'm still not sure Giant Canada are aware the bike has been released.

It still annoys me that Giant wasn't able to release more frame-only options for purchase throughout the pandemic. I get that materials and shipping were both issues too, but for a company with all Giant's production control not to at least take some benefit from that seemed like a missed opportunity.

I've probably looked at that Italian Propel Adv Pro frameset a dozen different times - that paint job is a beauty.

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

js wrote:No UK framesets definitely sucks. If it's any consolation though, I'm still not sure Giant Canada are aware the bike has been released.

It still annoys me that Giant wasn't able to release more frame-only options for purchase throughout the pandemic. I get that materials and shipping were both issues too, but for a company with all Giant's production control not to at least take some benefit from that seemed like a missed opportunity.

I've probably looked at that Italian Propel Adv Pro frameset a dozen different times - that paint job is a beauty.
I totally agree, they are losing out.

otnemem

by otnemem

BadBoyR wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:43 pm
Same in Ireland. My man said maybe end of year.
Giant's loss, Specialized's gain.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

otnemem wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:06 pm
BadBoyR wrote:
In the UK a top of the range SL0 with DA is £12k and SL1 with Force is £9k. Eye watering prices to be sure, but still cheaper than S-Works SL7, or Trek Madone SLR.

Not sure how many they'll sell in today's economy, but that's another thread altogether.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

bedampft

by bedampft

BadBoyR wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:46 pm
js wrote:No UK framesets definitely sucks. If it's any consolation though, I'm still not sure Giant Canada are aware the bike has been released.

I totally agree, they are losing out.

Nope.

Framesets are not important for sales. Never have been and never will be.

otnemem

by otnemem

Nickldn wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:17 pm
otnemem wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:06 pm
BadBoyR wrote:
In the UK a top of the range SL0 with DA is £12k and SL1 with Force is £9k. Eye watering prices to be sure, but still cheaper than S-Works SL7, or Trek Madone SLR.

Not sure how many they'll sell in today's economy, but that's another thread altogether.
Yes, basically the same thing here in the Republic. Even though I was strictly talking framesets and the difference there is smaller but still significant.
Again, Giant's loss, Specialized's gain.

robwa

by robwa

Its fascinating to see the massive price difference across countries. As an example here in Australia
SL0 (Duraace) is $14k AUD.
Advanced Pro 0 is $7800 AUD (Di2). $8500 AUD (Force)
I managed to get a further discount through a local dealer i"ve had a history with so $7300 for the Di2 model which for me is exceptional value for money in this market for a new bike. I've still got another 7 week wait though.

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

FFS, how is he now managing to spam me via email after being blocked on here!?
Attachments
110374F2-9C65-4FD7-AB5C-66CCAEBCE989.jpeg

jeroen

by jeroen

Hello, I'm looking for the propel advanced pro 0 di2.
But I am in the middle of a ML or L. I'am 186cm.
Saddle height 80cm, with the L only the dustcap (10mm) and the mandatory spacer of 10mm under the stem ( 120mm).
With the ML I will need 20 mm more spacer under the stem(130mm). So total package of 40mm.
What would you take? Any ride review of the advanced pro 0?

Thanks.

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

I'm 186cm with a saddle height of 80cm!
I have a large Advanced Pro Zero with no spacers on the front end. Currently have the standard 440 bar and 110 stem but thinking of going down to a 420 or 400 and 120 stem

stjepan

by stjepan

Help needed. :)
I am about to upgrade my internally routed stock alu handlebar to a carbon one (Giant Propel 2023). I'd like to try to change it myself to learn the process. I've never done it before so would appreciate any help (pardon the newbie questions). My concern would be disconnecting the hydraulic brakes and the fluid inside them - should I be aware of possible leaks (I am aware that I must bleed them at the end of the process). Would the job be as simple as disconnecting the hoses and reattaching them after rerouting? Or am I looking at removing the insert and the olive and installing a set of new ones? Anything else? If I must remove the insert+olive I will get the Park Tool IR-1.2 Internal Cable Routing Kit, to assist with the rerouting.

Thanks for any constructive input, appreciated!

JayDee81

by JayDee81

stjepan wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:12 pm
I am about to upgrade my internally routed stock alu handlebar to a carbon one (Giant Propel 2023). I'd like to try to change it myself to learn the process. I've never done it before so would appreciate any help (pardon the newbie questions). My concern would be disconnecting the hydraulic brakes and the fluid inside them - should I be aware of possible leaks (I am aware that I must bleed them at the end of the process). Would the job be as simple as disconnecting the hoses and reattaching them after rerouting? Or am I looking at removing the insert and the olive and installing a set of new ones? Anything else? If I must remove the insert+olive I will get the Park Tool IR-1.2 Internal Cable Routing Kit, to assist with the rerouting.

Look up basically any brake installation video. It's the same thing.

You gotta cut the hose end with the olive and install a new one. The fluid mostly stays inside (a few drops might come off).

stjepan

by stjepan

JayDee81 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:16 pm
stjepan wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:12 pm

Look up basically any brake installation video. It's the same thing.

You gotta cut the hose end with the olive and install a new one. The fluid mostly stays inside (a few drops might come off).
Thanks for the feedback. I thought since I would only exchange the handlebar, there would be no need to cut the hose.

Thanks for claryfing that. :)

erkko

by erkko

Could some size M owner check how low you can adjust the handlebars? I checked my old bike, and the dimension from the ground to the top of the handlebar (round area near the stem) is about 87,8 cm (with 25 mm tyres).

I'm between sizes S and M. I prefer longer toptube (M=550mm, but I'm not sure if the handlebar is low enough in M.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com