Giant Propel 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stjepan

by stjepan

Help needed, again. :)
I managed to screw up the most basic job, changing over the stem (Propel 2023). After removal of the top cap, for whatever reason I decided to unscrew the bigger screw sitting below (headset screw?). At some point it came undone with the lower portion of the assembly falling inside the fork (I managed to fish it out). But now when I tighten and try to put everything back together, the whole assembly just comes out of the frame without locking onto anything. Is there a compression plug that I'm not aware of, or something else missing from the assembly I have pictured here?
Pardon the basic question, I'm trying to learn the home mechanic basics.
Attachments
IMG_0524.jpg
IMG_0523.jpg
IMG_0521.jpg

Lina

by Lina

DeeDoubleYou wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:13 pm
FFS, how is he now managing to spam me via email after being blocked on here!?
Your email is set to be visible in the settings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bmrk

by bmrk

stjepan wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:59 pm
Help needed, again. :)
I managed to screw up the most basic job, changing over the stem (Propel 2023). After removal of the top cap, for whatever reason I decided to unscrew the bigger screw sitting below (headset screw?). At some point it came undone with the lower portion of the assembly falling inside the fork (I managed to fish it out). But now when I tighten and try to put everything back together, the whole assembly just comes out of the frame without locking onto anything. Is there a compression plug that I'm not aware of, or something else missing from the assembly I have pictured here?
Pardon the basic question, I'm trying to learn the home mechanic basics.
You’re missing the expander sleeve, which is what expands when you tighten the expader. Probably still inside the steerer tube.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (20.37 KiB) Viewed 3621 times

Maddie

by Maddie

stjepan wrote:Pardon the basic question, I'm trying to learn the home mechanic basics.
On your last pic, the cone on the left needs to be turned 180°. Plus as mentioned the sleeve

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

Lina wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:17 pm
DeeDoubleYou wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:13 pm
FFS, how is he now managing to spam me via email after being blocked on here!?
Your email is set to be visible in the settings.
Thank you! Just gone in and changed that

spoons

by spoons

Could any owners comment on tyre clearance? A few have said it looks tight at the back with a 30. Anyone tried a 32?

sethjkay
Shop Owner

by sethjkay

spoons wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:52 am
Could any owners comment on tyre clearance? A few have said it looks tight at the back with a 30. Anyone tried a 32?
Hi. I have a Propel Advanced SL1 2023 with 30mm Conti GP5000s TR tyres front and rear. These measure about 31.5mm wide on the Cadex 50 wheels that have hookless rims with an internal measurement of 22.4mm.

The tightest spot on the frameset is between the tyre and the drive side chainstay. With the tyres mentioned above there is around 4mm clearance in this area. The clearance is a little more between the tyre and the non-drive side chain stay.

The tyre clearance through the fork with these tyres is around 4-5mm.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you need any more info at all.

spoons

by spoons

sethjkay wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:41 pm
spoons wrote:
Hi. I have a Propel Advanced SL1 2023 with 30mm Conti GP5000s TR tyres front and rear. These measure about 31.5mm wide on the Cadex 50 wheels that have hookless rims with an internal measurement of 22.4mm.

The tightest spot on the frameset is between the tyre and the drive side chainstay. With the tyres mentioned above there is around 4mm clearance in this area. The clearance is a little more between the tyre and the non-drive side chain stay.

Thank you. Very helpful.

Have you ever had any tyre rub when climbing or sprinting? That sounds tight to me.

sethjkay
Shop Owner

by sethjkay

spoons wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:30 pm
sethjkay wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:41 pm
spoons wrote:

Thank you. Very helpful.

Have you ever had any tyre rub when climbing or sprinting? That sounds tight to me.
No, no tyre rub. I'm around 79-80kg at the moment for reference.

The frame and wheels that I'm using are laterally stiff enough, so there are no rubbing issues. In my opinion, 4mm should be plenty of clearance and I think this is generally accepted as being adequate for normal road riding.

If you think about it, when we were all riding rim brakes, the brake pad was around 2mm from the rim. If the frame and wheels weren't too flexible for the rider, the pads didn't touch the rim, even when sprinting hard.

I hope this helps.

JayDee81

by JayDee81

sethjkay wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:15 am
If you think about it, when we were all riding rim brakes, the brake pad was around 2mm from the rim. If the frame and wheels weren't too flexible for the rider, the pads didn't touch the rim, even when sprinting hard.
I have around 1 mm between the brake pads and the rim on my 2020 TCR. No rubbing ever unless the wheel gets misaligned in the dropouts.

4 mm is plenty of space. I have 5 or 6 mm on the TCR with 25 mm tires (actual width cca 27 mm) and it's stated to take 28 mm tires.

RadB

by RadB

Afaik it's also to allow road debris .e.g small rocks etc. to pass through without causing damage.

sethjkay
Shop Owner

by sethjkay

RadB wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:02 pm
Afaik it's also to allow road debris .e.g small rocks etc. to pass through without causing damage.
Yeah, good point. But I still think 4mm should allow most debris picked up from even the dirtiest roads to pass through.

CharlieDG

by CharlieDG

What are people's impressions of the SLR 1 50mm wheels? I currently ride the SLR 1 42mm wheels, which are shallower at 42mm and narrower at 19.4mm. They are lighter though. Will I notice much of a performance upgrade moving from the 42 to the 50? I am attracted by the aero properties of the deeper and wider rim.

Haggarty

by Haggarty

Is anyone able to provide the size measurements for the aero bottle cages of both the down tube and seat tube for the 2023 propel?
Want to see if either might work with my frame (which isn’t a propel)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayDee81

by JayDee81

CharlieDG wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:02 pm
What are people's impressions of the SLR 1 50mm wheels? I currently ride the SLR 1 42mm wheels, which are shallower at 42mm and narrower at 19.4mm. They are lighter though. Will I notice much of a performance upgrade moving from the 42 to the 50? I am attracted by the aero properties of the deeper and wider rim.
The rims are the same as in the top wheelset which has been praised highly in reviews.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com