Giant Propel 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

Anyone know if the Advanced Pro frameset comes with a computer mount?

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

FatLadAtTheBack wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:19 pm
Yes it does

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RadB

by RadB

For smaller units, e.g. 1040 won't fit.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

RadB wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:06 pm
For smaller units, e.g. 1040 won't fit.
It does.
Attachments
922D561F-9CD7-4EF2-BAD5-B3B1698DC11E.jpeg

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

Eterna7m wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:26 am
FatLadAtTheBack wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:19 pm
Yes it does

Thank you

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

One thing that I think is interesting is how the trend to consolidation towards all rounders will work out for Giant and the Propel.

I did wonder when they last updated it whether they made it look like less of an aero bike in anticipation of it becoming their all round racing bike.

But the most recent update to the TCR suggests that Giant still see a place for a more traditional, lightweight racing bike and an aero optimised racer? And of course the Defy still occupied the endurance niche.

wozzo

by wozzo

Looking for advice. My LBS has last advanced pro 0 in my size in stock and wants 5350€ for it. I am looking for a new aero bike for a while now. I had an aeroad, really liked it, but the issues with seatpost got me off and I send it back. I was waiting for a new aeroad which is now on the horizon, but the price deal they gave me, got me really thinking about the propel now. Minding that lifetime warranty and lbs support.

I really like the colour of a propel, but deeper wheels would make this bike look so much better. Also the tour mag test shows 10 watt difference in those.

What do you think?
Attachments
Propel
Propel

Nickldn

by Nickldn

wozzo wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:07 pm
Looking for advice. My LBS has last advanced pro 0 in my size in stock and wants 5350€ for it. I am looking for a new aero bike for a while now. I had an aeroad, really liked it, but the issues with seatpost got me off and I send it back. I was waiting for a new aeroad which is now on the horizon, but the price deal they gave me, got me really thinking about the propel now. Minding that lifetime warranty and lbs support.

I really like the colour of a propel, but deeper wheels would make this bike look so much better. Also the tour mag test shows 10 watt difference in those.

What do you think?
I like the new Propel too, but bear in mind it's no longer a like for like aero bike compared to the Aeroad. It's now more of an all rounder, similar to the Specialized SL7/SL8. This makes it lighter and more agile, also better for climbing, but even with deep wheels it'll give away a few watts to the Aeroad at 45kph+.

Pure aero bikes are becoming less popular now, probably due to squeezing out the last few watts being less important for most riders. But you gotta buy for you.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

S-Works SL8 Dune White SRAM Red AXS Craft CS5060 wheels Roval Rapide bars 6.6kg

HBike

by HBike

Nickldn wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:08 pm
wozzo wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:07 pm

What do you think?
I like the new Propel too, but bear in mind it's no longer a like for like aero bike compared to the Aeroad. It's now more of an all rounder, similar to the Specialized SL7/SL8. This makes it lighter and more agile, also better for climbing, but even with deep wheels it'll give away a few watts to the Aeroad at 45kph+.

Pure aero bikes are becoming less popular now, probably due to squeezing out the last few watts being less important for most riders. But you gotta buy for you.
Agree. SL8 is a great alrounder. I like the design, higher system weight limit and price of the Propel more (here the frameset is 1800 Euros less expensive alone), but I like the ability for wider tires in the SL8, in case one needs it. For the propel 28c are usually the limit.

QuackMD

by QuackMD

Has anyone tried fitting 30mm tires on their Propel yet (any tire/rim combination)? If so, what was your experience?

damond

by damond

QuackMD wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:11 am
Has anyone tried fitting 30mm tires on their Propel yet (any tire/rim combination)? If so, what was your experience?
Yes with no problem. My friend is even running 32mm Pirelli Cinturato's on his Cadex Ultra 50 wheels.

QuackMD

by QuackMD

damond wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:19 am
QuackMD wrote:
Yes with no problem. My friend is even running 32mm Pirelli Cinturato's on his Cadex Ultra 50 wheels.
Sounds promising then! How much clearance do you (or your friend) have between the chainstays and the tire?

damond

by damond

QuackMD wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:25 pm
Sounds promising then! How much clearance do you (or your friend) have between the chainstays and the tire?
Not much, i would say around 1.5-2mm each side. I personally would ride as big as a 30mm tire on the propel..

QuackMD

by QuackMD

damond wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:58 pm
QuackMD wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:25 pm
Not much, i would say around 1.5-2mm each side. I personally would ride as big as a 30mm tire on the propel..
Many thanks for the info! That's for the 30 mm or the 32 mm tire?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

damond wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:19 am
QuackMD wrote:
Depends how wide the tyre inflates to with this combination.....