Giant Propel 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vincentb89

by vincentb89

Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a 2023 giant propel advanced pro Di2 and was looking for some advice. I do ironman triathlons and usually go with my tt bike but i've signed up to do the one in Nice in a month time where theres 2500d+ with long continuous climbs averaging 6-7% and the rest of the course is hilly or descent (no real flat portions). Is there anyway to fit tt bars on the 2023 giant propel proprietary handlebar set up ? Giant used to market a tt bar set up for the 2019 propel model but my giant LBS tells me the handlebar dimensions are different between the older model and the new one.
(one of my friends who owns a cannondale system six managed to get the Enve SES Aero Road Bar Clip on to fit on the cannondale proprietary handlebar but i dont know whether this could work on my 2023 propel).

Thanks all for the help !

wezep

by wezep

https://www.giant.co.jp/news/gear/8594 😀

I hope your dealer can order this tt bar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

js

by js

You're definitely going the right way thinking TT bars on your Propel for the Nice course - it's not made for bull horns and TT/Tri bikes.

From everything I know about this set-up, you'd need to swap the handlebar to one that accommodates TT extensions (ie has an extended clamping zone outside the stem area). The good news of course is that the Propel stem lets you use any 31.8 bar, so there are lots of options and you don't even need to spend a fortune.

Also - that stem-mounted set-up from Giant looks like a tank (>600g!!), with near-zero adjustability. Unless you're sponsored by Giant and need to rock their stuff, I'd stick with clip-ons.

RadB

by RadB

Finally received the new propel. Ughh, what a wait. Fit is comparable to MY20, but fractionally longer. Surprisingly the bars are wider, not sure how they managed but they did it. Haven't even hit the road, just been going over it and checking numbers. Fit and finish seems better too, overall, which is nice to see. Wheels are wider than expected too. Self centring stem is a nice touch 😁

vincentb89

by vincentb89

js wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:55 pm
You're definitely going the right way thinking TT bars on your Propel for the Nice course - it's not made for bull horns and TT/Tri bikes.

From everything I know about this set-up, you'd need to swap the handlebar to one that accommodates TT extensions (ie has an extended clamping zone outside the stem area). The good news of course is that the Propel stem lets you use any 31.8 bar, so there are lots of options and you don't even need to spend a fortune.

Also - that stem-mounted set-up from Giant looks like a tank (>600g!!), with near-zero adjustability. Unless you're sponsored by Giant and need to rock their stuff, I'd stick with clip-ons.
Thank you ! I'm going to have a look at the different tt bar options ( either handlebar mounted or stem mounted) and will come back with pics ! Bringing my bike to a different lbs to check if I can fit deda carbon blast on the propel handlebar / I've also had a look at the venge tt bars set up and changing the propel aluminium stem for a carbon one with the clip on adaptator could do it !

Cheers

allrandomletters

by allrandomletters

HBike wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 4:27 pm
CharlieDG wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:02 pm
What are people's impressions of the SLR 1 50mm wheels? I currently ride the SLR 1 42mm wheels, which are shallower at 42mm and narrower at 19.4mm. They are lighter though. Will I notice much of a performance upgrade moving from the 42 to the 50? I am attracted by the aero properties of the deeper and wider rim.
Im interested in that, too. The rims are the same shape as the Cadex Ultra 50s as far as I know and should perform nicely. But I would be interested in experience with tubeless setups, actual width of tires (e.g. GP5000 S TR 28c ...) etc.
I think they provide a nice package regarding aero and weight for the money, in addition to Giants generous weight limit compared to many other brands.
The SLR 2 were criticised for the larger hub engagement angle, so that should translate to the SLR 1, too.
Is there any more info about the SLR1 50 wheels? Are the hubs and spokes the only difference to the Ultra 50? Would there be much weight saved if they were rebuilt with DT240 or 180 hubs?

MagicShite

by MagicShite

RadB wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 11:21 am
Finally received the new propel. Ughh, what a wait. Fit is comparable to MY20, but fractionally longer. Surprisingly the bars are wider, not sure how they managed but they did it. Haven't even hit the road, just been going over it and checking numbers. Fit and finish seems better too, overall, which is nice to see. Wheels are wider than expected too. Self centring stem is a nice touch 😁
self centering stem? I'm curious about this. How does it work?

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

MagicShite wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 4:22 pm
RadB wrote:
I'm guessing they actually mean the D-Fuse steerer (or whatever it's called) means you can't put the stem on wonky!

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

stjepan wrote:Help needed. :)
I am about to upgrade my internally routed stock alu handlebar to a carbon one (Giant Propel 2023). I'd like to try to change it myself to learn the process. I've never done it before so would appreciate any help (pardon the newbie questions). My concern would be disconnecting the hydraulic brakes and the fluid inside them - should I be aware of possible leaks (I am aware that I must bleed them at the end of the process). Would the job be as simple as disconnecting the hoses and reattaching them after rerouting? Or am I looking at removing the insert and the olive and installing a set of new ones? Anything else? If I must remove the insert+olive I will get the Park Tool IR-1.2 Internal Cable Routing Kit, to assist with the rerouting.

Thanks for any constructive input, appreciated!
I saw your compression sleeve troubles and hope you got it sorted. To give advice on the barb/olive issue, I will offer an easier method, though generally, you should always cut hose, install new barb, and then olive, but.... if you twist the hose just a degree so the crushed olive is now rotated to a different position in the lever, it will seal correctly. Just needs to be oriented differently from the original install. I would do this very often in a shop setting to speed up lever installs. Not the correct way, but not really a short cut either.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

RadB

by RadB

DeeDoubleYou wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 8:17 am
MagicShite wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 4:22 pm
RadB wrote:
I'm guessing they actually mean the D-Fuse steerer (or whatever it's called) means you can't put the stem on wonky!
Yes, that's all. When I put it back together I thought "it's pretty straight already" 🤦‍♂️

robwa

by robwa

Finally picked up my Propel 0 di2. Size Large . 5month wait in Australia.
On my basic scales it came in at 7.7kg without pedals or cages.
Attachments
20230602_131550.jpg
20230602_131540.jpg

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

robwa wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:46 am
Lovely bike, same as my one.
By the way, your spacers are wrong, I think the cut out one needs to sit under the stem.

robwa

by robwa

DeeDoubleYou wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:10 pm
robwa wrote:
By the way, your spacers are wrong, I think the cut out one needs to sit under the stem.
Thanks, we are still fine tuning the stem height and that's how the shop fitted teh spacer above the stem. I dont believe you can fit traditional round spacers due to D -shaped steerer. I still have the round top cap to keep it secure. I've dropped the stem further, once im happy i'll get it properly cut to size.

AZR3

by AZR3

robwa wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:19 am
DeeDoubleYou wrote:
robwa wrote:
Thanks, we are still fine tuning the stem height and that's how the shop fitted teh spacer above the stem. I dont believe you can fit traditional round spacers due to D -shaped steerer. I still have the round top cap to keep it secure. I've dropped the stem further, once im happy i'll get it properly cut to size.
The spacer that has the cut out in the front (which you have mounted above the headset bearing cover and below all the other spacers) should be mounted directly below the stem, like in this picture

robwa

by robwa

AZR3 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:31 am
robwa wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:19 am
DeeDoubleYou wrote:
robwa wrote:
The spacer that has the cut out in the front (which you have mounted above the headset bearing cover and below all the other spacers) should be mounted directly below the stem, like in this picture
Thanks a lot, i now see what you mean and why its in the wrong place. I suppose the bike shop is also needing to learn how the spacers go on properly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com