New Cycliq Fly12 Coming Soon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Got an email from Cycliq tonight noting that they will be releasing a new Fly12 soon. Here's hoping they don't screw it up like they did the Fly6 v3.

And now we wait for the specs.

https://cycliq.com/fly12-sport-teaser-community/

Fly12.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

That'll be why theres none of the current one available then

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Received an email stating that the new Cycliq Fly12 Sport will be released on 22 September 2022. It included a link to the brochure. Certainly looks appealing, depending upon the price.

I've always felt they did a good job with the Fly12, much better than with the Fly6CE, with the exception of battery life. This model claims 7 hours in camera-only mode, which is better than my Fly12. I see nothing to indicate a swapable battery or the ability to add an extended pack to it though, which would be nice for extremely long rides.

https://cycliq.com/fly12-sport-brochure ... _114083/1/

justonwo

by justonwo

Not feeling the love for Cycliq. I got the Fly6 earlier this year and feel it's pretty deficient. Battery life with the light flashing is poor. Image quality is only sufficient to identify license plates about half the time. I feel like it's overpriced and under-featured for what it is. A new Cycliq offering doesn't excite me much.
2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 AXS Red (Enve SES 3.4 Disc, Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

Retired: 2014 S-Works Roubaix
2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

justonwo wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:10 pm
Not feeling the love for Cycliq. I got the Fly6 earlier this year and feel it's pretty deficient. Battery life with the light flashing is poor. Image quality is only sufficient to identify license plates about half the time. I feel like it's overpriced and under-featured for what it is. A new Cycliq offering doesn't excite me much.
I agree with you regarding Cycliq and the Fly6. I thought so little of the Fly6v3 that I didn't both updating from the Fly6CE. Battery life reduced and just not an upgrade in any way. I've been so disappointed that I recently got a TooCycling DVR80 to replace it. Someone did a side by side comparison of the two here: https://vimeo.com/696386382

However, my Fly12 has been very good, so I'm at least interested in this new release. My only complaint in the past has been the battery life on it. But other than that I've been happy wih it for picture quality considering that it has an integrated light.

And wouldn't you know it... Cycliq managed to mess that up too! The brochure lists the new version as having a 3000mA battery for 7 hours recording time while not using the light. So they went from 4200mA in v1 to 4000mA in v2 to 3000mA in v3.

At this rate I'm hoping ToooCycling comes out with a Fly12 competitor because Cycliq can't seem to stop stepping on their own feet. Geesh!!

gplama

by gplama

I have one on the way. I'll try get a good few hours use and post up a review close to the launch date.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Not asking for much in the video quality department. GoPro Hero 5 level would be good enough considering the current state of cycling "dashcams."

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:22 am
Not asking for much in the video quality department. GoPro Hero 5 level would be good enough considering the current state of cycling "dashcams."
exactly no one seem to want to step up their game... need one that last longer then my business park crit with decent stabilization... just give us 3-4 hours.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:22 am
Improved video quality is supposed to be part of this release. They say that the new one will do the following resolutions:

1280x720p @120fps
1920x1080p HDR @30fps
1920x1080p @60fps
2560x1440p @30fps
2880x2160p @24fps (4K playback)

Will be interesting to see what times GPLama and DC Rainmaker get when they publish their first looks.

patchandscruff

by patchandscruff

I'm just astonished they're still in business.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

is it me or they reduced the front light from 600lm to 400lm ? i guess something has to give when you make it smaller.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

I have my eye on the new drift ghost pro. I had an original ghost and the battery was great but the video quality wasn't to good as it had no stabilisation. The new one has improved quality and image stabilisation so could be a good shout. I'd be happy with a go pro if the battery could do at least 3hours

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

daninplymouth wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:57 pm
I have my eye on the new drift ghost pro. I had an original ghost and the battery was great but the video quality wasn't to good as it had no stabilisation. The new one has improved quality and image stabilisation so could be a good shout. I'd be happy with a go pro if the battery could do at least 3hours
That's a very nice camera but it doesn't have an integrated light, which is the main point of the Fly12. There are lots of options that are video-only, but the Fly12 is the only one I know of which has an integrated light.

I like the look of the current and future Fly12 compared to its initial release. But the decreasing battery sizes and recording times are for the birds, as is Cycliq's infamous "customer support". Until there is a viable contender we're all sort of stuck with the Fly12 if you want a camera and light combo.

At least with the Fly6 there are now the ToooCycling DVR80 for an integrated light and camera combo, and the Varia RCT715 if you want radar integration added. I wish there was such competition for the Fly12.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The integrated light is not the reason I’d buy a Fly12/6. I can always mount a separate light if needed. I want a camera that can record for 2.5-3 hours continuously. I want a radar activated recording mode to save battery. I want better video quality than what the RCT-715 has.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

EvilEuro wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:29 pm
daninplymouth wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:57 pm
That's a very nice camera but it doesn't have an integrated light, which is the main point of the Fly12. There are lots of options that are video-only, but the Fly12 is the only one I know of which has an integrated light.

I like the look of the current and future Fly12 compared to its initial release. But the decreasing battery sizes and recording times are for the birds, as is Cycliq's infamous "customer support". Until there is a viable contender we're all sort of stuck with the Fly12 if you want a camera and light combo.

At least with the Fly6 there are now the ToooCycling DVR80 for an integrated light and camera combo, and the Varia RCT715 if you want radar integration added. I wish there was such competition for the Fly12.
I'm not fussed on the light aspect. What other options are there for decent quality, image stabilisation and a battery that will last at least 3hours? I'm struggling to find a camera that'll cover this, if only go pro had a bigger battery I'd be sorted