Elilee XXE Crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

juantc93

by juantc93

rhs2z wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:32 am
juantc93 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:10 pm
i just installed the titanium axle version, 390g cranks + spider. weather hasn't been kind so my testing is limited to indoor trainer.
Earlier in this thread, someone reported testing that the Ti axle was significantly less stiff. Can you comment on how this crank feels? What were you using before?

Edit: IIRC, DA 9100 is 490g sans rings. So 100g lighter than the standard 24mm spindle option, but at what compromise with flexiness?
Well, i am not a powerful rider, and honestly i cant feel any diference with my previous r7000 crankset. However let's do some solid mechanic with rough numbers.

Let's focus on the axle, given that tests made on aluminum axle has been satisfactory we can think that crank arms itself are stiff enough.

on its middle secction elilee axle has an outer diameter of about 22mm. The inner diameter is constant of about 15mm. shear modulus of metals is quite constant, independently of specific chemical composition of the alloy so i will assume a generic shear modulus for titanium of about 45 Gpa.

Shimano r7000 features a constant OD of 24mm and the inner diameter is about 20mm. Steel features about 79Gpa.

Applying the formula of torsional stiffness of a hollow tube for both axles, we can conclude that shimano axle is about 25% stiffer.

Note, however that if elilee would have decided to keep outer diameter constant, and increase de inner diameter in the middle section to 17.8mm, to keep the axle of about the same wiehgt, they would have achieved an axle 20% stiffer than shimano's, and amost 50% sitffer than it's current axle.

i can't tell if this will effectively affect your ride quality or not. i wonder why they decided to machine the outside of the axle instead of the inner part. maybe they had difficulties with tooling needed to make the axle and it would have increase even further the price of the crankset.

alanyu

by alanyu

juantc93 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:27 pm
rhs2z wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:32 am
juantc93 wrote:
i just installed the titanium axle version, 390g cranks + spider. weather hasn't been kind so my testing is limited to indoor trainer.
Earlier in this thread, someone reported testing that the Ti axle was significantly less stiff. Can you comment on how this crank feels? What were you using before?

Edit: IIRC, DA 9100 is 490g sans rings. So 100g lighter than the standard 24mm spindle option, but at what compromise with flexiness?
Well, i am not a powerful rider, and honestly i cant feel any diference with my previous r7000 crankset. However let's do some solid mechanic with rough numbers.

Let's focus on the axle, given that tests made on aluminum axle has been satisfactory we can think that crank arms itself are stiff enough.

on its middle secction elilee axle has an outer diameter of about 22mm. The inner diameter is constant of about 15mm. shear modulus of metals is quite constant, independently of specific chemical composition of the alloy so i will assume a generic shear modulus for titanium of about 45 Gpa.

Shimano r7000 features a constant OD of 24mm and the inner diameter is about 20mm. Steel features about 79Gpa.

Applying the formula of torsional stiffness of a hollow tube for both axles, we can conclude that shimano axle is about 25% stiffer.

Note, however that if elilee would have decided to keep outer diameter constant, and increase de inner diameter in the middle section to 17.8mm, to keep the axle of about the same wiehgt, they would have achieved an axle 20% stiffer than shimano's, and amost 50% sitffer than it's current axle.

i can't tell if this will effectively affect your ride quality or not. i wonder why they decided to machine the outside of the axle instead of the inner part. maybe they had difficulties with tooling needed to make the axle and it would have increase even further the price of the crankset.
I think it's limited by the spline shape and the thread size. They can't CNC a larger ID in the middle part.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

juantc93 wrote:
How has the crank been so far? I am pretty darn interested in this so I'd love to hear your impressions. Thanks!

l3eans

by l3eans

Put about 1000mi in now. Using a P2M SL at the moment, but I have the carbon 5 arm spider on the way as well. No noises with the nylon shims and feels just as stiff as my Aldhu carbon. Easy installation too. Uglyy chainrings, but it was literally the only axs compatible chainring with a 1x offset that I could find in a shimano bolt pattern.

408.8g for crankset & power meter (170mm)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

l3eans wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:43 pm

Put about 1000mi in now. Using a P2M SL at the moment, but I have the carbon 5 arm spider on the way as well. No noises with the nylon shims and feels just as stiff as my Aldhu carbon. Easy installation too. Uglyy chainrings, but it was literally the only axs compatible chainring with a 1x offset that I could find in a shimano bolt pattern.

Hi there, are you using the carbon axle version? I would run it with two chain rings. What are these nylon shims you mentioned?

thanks

l3eans

by l3eans

mattcooke wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:45 pm
l3eans wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:43 pm

Hi there, are you using the carbon axle version? I would run it with two chain rings. What are these nylon shims you mentioned?

thanks
Yep, this is the X-Novanta crankset. The spindle is 28mm dub with the usual shims to adapt it to a 30mm.
Also, I like 1x 😢

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Any more reviews of this crankset? It looks really appealing to me wanting to mount Shimano rings. Also, trying to decide between the ti 24 or alu 28 axle. The ti is $75 more expensive and heavier, so I'm leaning towards the 28, just unsure of how the shims work long term.

Edit: Looking at them more, I really wish they would do a glossy black finish for the normal alu/ti model. The carbon spindle version looks so much nicer.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

toxin

by toxin

Why does it mattwr what color the spindle is, you don't see it anyway

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

toxin wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:00 am
Why does it mattwr what color the spindle is, you don't see it anyway
I don't know if this was in reference to my question because I don't care about the spindle color either. The ti/alu spindle version crank arm is a matte finish that looks almost gray and has a huge logo, whereas the the carbon spndle version gets a glossy black finish and minimal branding, which I think looks better.

Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

RDY

by RDY

Anyone have installation instructions for the x-novanta?

Finally picked mine up, but no instructions or torque specs, and build day is tomorrow .... In case Elilee don't respond in time, can someone post pics or a link?

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

RDY, funny you wrote this because I am very, very close to buying the same crank myself. I am happy to PM you, but could you share please who you bought it from?
Can you post some pics because I have been afraid this is vapor ware since I just keep seeing the same pictures floating around online.

Also, what spider are you using? What chain rings also? And the BB?

Sorry for all the questions! I have been in contact with Elilee Australia and perhaps they have installation instructions. I can send you their contact info if you'd like.

Thanks RDY!

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

RDY wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:02 pm

Finally picked mine up, but no instructions or torque specs, and build day is tomorrow .... In case Elilee don't respond in time, can someone post pics or a link?
They didn't even give you a printed QR code to scan?

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Perfect timing. I'm looking at the carbon spindle version as well. Was there a weight limit? I'm fairly big at 80kg. Curious how they will take my weight. Any issues so far from the people that have been running them?
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

RDY

by RDY

mattcooke wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:45 pm
RDY, funny you wrote this because I am very, very close to buying the same crank myself. I am happy to PM you, but could you share please who you bought it from?
Can you post some pics because I have been afraid this is vapor ware since I just keep seeing the same pictures floating around online.

Also, what spider are you using? What chain rings also? And the BB?

Sorry for all the questions! I have been in contact with Elilee Australia and perhaps they have installation instructions. I can send you their contact info if you'd like.

Thanks RDY!
Direct from Elilee. Communication mostly via IG, but initially via Ali. I pre-ordered a 167.5mm before they'd opened any molds below 170mm. It arrived at destination about 6 weeks ago, but I hadn't had a chance to pick it up yet.

P2M SL that was ordered and delivered with it. I'll be using Rotor Q Shimano 12s. BB Hambini T47.
StiffWeenies wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:52 pm
RDY wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:02 pm

They didn't even give you a printed QR code to scan?
None, no. No tear off labels either - except on the P2M. Packaging was nice enough - Similar to Red D1 AXS. Elilee.com is down, and they haven't posted on their IG since the very public meltdown.

-- Weight, dunno - I'm 80ish too. I don't expect that to be an issue. Personally I don't like the gloss at all on the X-Novanta. I'd much prefer to have the matte of the XXE, albeit without any logos. In future I may get a local painter to strip and reclear them in satin or matte finish.

They look exactly as the pics posted by LLS.

RDY

by RDY

Instructions:

https://imgtr.ee/image/IMG-20230816-120720-592.3740L

I think they need to rewrite them ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com