Elilee XXE Crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lightklein2

by lightklein2

Hey

are there any other people who have had good experiences with the elilee x-novanta carbon crankset?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DinnerPlateSpinner

by DinnerPlateSpinner

lightklein2 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:22 pm
Hey

are there any other people who have had good experiences with the elilee x-novanta carbon crankset?
I am currently having one installed on my bike. I purchased it based on the good feedback provided by Matt, earlier in this topic.

I will update once I have got my bike back and put some miles into it.

I had to buy a BB86 to DUB bottom bracket in order for it to fit in my frame.

The guy who is installing it said it all appears to be fine so far and it seems of good quality. He is doing some other stuff on the bike, so I won't have it back until after the weekend.

I got the crankset and spider. No power meter. The weight was around 335g with hardware attached.

It will be around 480g total, once I install the chain rings.

sehyang82

by sehyang82

I am also about to pull the trigger on x-novanta carbon crankset with sigeyi pm.
Next week is 11.11 massive sale fest on all the aliexpress and hopw elilee also offers some additional discounts.
So what size/type of BB should I run? Currently running ITA Shimano BB for my Dogma, but x-novanta spindle is 30mm, so should I go for ITA30 or ITA DUB?

나의 SM-S916N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

SamA

by SamA

DinnerPlateSpinner wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:27 pm
lightklein2 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:22 pm
Hey

I am currently having one installed on my bike. I purchased it based on the good feedback provided by Matt, earlier in this topic.

I will update once I have got my bike back and put some miles into it.

I had to buy a BB86 to DUB bottom bracket in order for it to fit in my frame.

The guy who is installing it said it all appears to be fine so far and it seems of good quality. He is doing some other stuff on the bike, so I won't have it back until after the weekend.

I got the crankset and spider. No power meter. The weight was around 335g with hardware attached.

It will be around 480g total, once I install the chain rings.
Which brand BB did you go for? I'm considering the Elilee X-Novata crank set for my BB86 frame.
2023 Wilier Zero SLR (Red Velvet, of course)

lightklein2

by lightklein2

The Koggel BB would be a good option:

https://www.kogel.cc/collections/bb86-b ... 7631267030

DinnerPlateSpinner

by DinnerPlateSpinner

They provide 2 different pairs of sleeves which will slide into either end of your chosen bottom bracket.

The sleeves are for either a bottom bracket which accepts DUB axle width (28.99mm) or for bottom brackets which take a 30mm axle width.

I therefore do not think it matters what type of bottom bracket you get, i.e. whether it's for DUB axles or 30mm axles will be irrelevant - as long as it is the right BB fit for your frame.

I went for a C-Bear BB86.5 to DUB bottom bracket. I could have equally got the same bottom bracket but for BB86 to accept a 30mm spindle. All I would have to do was use the other pair of provided sleeves.

AliExpress also sell some really cheap compatible bottom brackets, but I personally would rather pay extra money for a more tried and tested BB

The Kogel BB mentioned by lightklein would also be a great option.
Last edited by DinnerPlateSpinner on Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Attermann

by Attermann

You can't make a bb86 into bb30, they are completely different, it's still a bb86 bottom bracket, just with a 30 mm hole instead of the normal 24.

DinnerPlateSpinner

by DinnerPlateSpinner

I should have said BB86 to "30mm spindle".

I will amend the post.

RDY

by RDY

You should get a DUB BB rather than 30mm, if you're determined to use this with BB86. The bigger the spindle it's designed for, the worse the bearing drag and life is going to be, though both will necessarily be poor.

They refunded me for the Novanta-X and P2M, though PP took a $60 commission ...
Last edited by RDY on Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DinnerPlateSpinner

by DinnerPlateSpinner

RDY wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:30 pm
You should get a DUB BB rather than 30mm, if you're determined to use this with BB86. The bigger the spindle it's designed for, the worse the bearing drag and life is going to be.

Would you consider another one of these X Novanta crank sets in the future or have you been put off by the first experience?

lightklein2

by lightklein2

Please let us know, what the problem was?

RDY

by RDY

DinnerPlateSpinner wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:39 pm
RDY wrote:
You should get a DUB BB rather than 30mm, if you're determined to use this with BB86. The bigger the spindle it's designed for, the worse the bearing drag and life is going to be.

Would you consider another one of these X Novanta crank sets in the future or have you been put off by the first experience?
Depends on future feedback from customers, and how the planned revision goes next year. Part of the problem was that the P2M lacks clearance in this configuration for T47-86.5 - I believe they're warning about compatibility in this respect now, but they should have known it and warned people to get the Xcadey (which I think has the most). Part was the shims being wrongly sized / not round. The latter problem, to the eye, we fixed with sanding .. but maybe it wasn't enough and that was what ultimately caused the binding that resulted in me returning. The mechanic thought the spindle could have been out of round or not entirely straight too. We didn't have the tools to measure precisely, so we can't be sure. They also fixed the documentation after my feedback, which seems fine now.

RDY

by RDY

lightklein2 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:01 pm
Please let us know, what the problem was?
I already have. Read the thread.

RDY

by RDY

sehyang82 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:25 am
I am also about to pull the trigger on x-novanta carbon crankset with sigeyi pm.
Next week is 11.11 massive sale fest on all the aliexpress and hopw elilee also offers some additional discounts.
So what size/type of BB should I run? Currently running ITA Shimano BB for my Dogma, but x-novanta spindle is 30mm, so should I go for ITA30 or ITA DUB?

나의 SM-S916N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
X-Novanta spindle is 28mm.

Attermann

by Attermann

RDY wrote:
You should get a DUB BB rather than 30mm, if you're determined to use this with BB86. The bigger the spindle it's designed for, the worse the bearing drag and life is going to be, though both will necessarily be poor.

often BB's are 30 mm with a plastic shim to make them 29 mm, so that wouldn't change a lot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com