Enve Melee

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fabulousz

by fabulousz

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:52 am
Several local shops have Melee "modules" available. Doesn't seem to be generating as much interest around here as ENVE would have liked.
I don't think it wouldn't be a popular bike like sl7 for its unassuming shape and single clean color.
It's a more race, agile and even bigger tire clearance caledonia to me, with an unique clean logoless style, and having mudguard mounts too.

Upper tube mounting bosses are the only things I feel it could have.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

From my perspective it's not on the radar at all. The only version would be the full custom made by Enve and not in Asia.
I'd rather pick any other bike around that have a fitting geo.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crlincoln

by crlincoln

Having now seen one in the flesh, it really is a stunning bike... the choice of a single colour and a flat at that doesn't really do it any favours...

Karvalo

by Karvalo

pmprego wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:20 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Several local shops have Melee "modules" available. Doesn't seem to be generating as much interest around here as ENVE would have liked.
I just don't have the money... This is the bike I'd get if I had it. For the people that just want 1 bike this is it. I don't have the money or space for several bikes. Besides, I don't ride outside as much to justify the investment on several bikes. But this bike seems to have the perfect combination of being agile/lightweight and flexible enough to be used with 28c tires or 36c tires. I can't have two bikes but I can more easily get two set of wheels and different pedals for different terrain.
Logic only makes sense if you have to buy prestige premium.

For the price of a Melee and two wheelsets you could easily get two different (and both excellent) bikes to cover a much wider range of riding conditions.

pmprego

by pmprego

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:51 pm
pmprego wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:20 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
I just don't have the money... This is the bike I'd get if I had it. For the people that just want 1 bike this is it. I don't have the money or space for several bikes. Besides, I don't ride outside as much to justify the investment on several bikes. But this bike seems to have the perfect combination of being agile/lightweight and flexible enough to be used with 28c tires or 36c tires. I can't have two bikes but I can more easily get two set of wheels and different pedals for different terrain.
Logic only makes sense if you have to buy prestige premium.

For the price of a Melee and two wheelsets you could easily get two different (and both excellent) bikes to cover a much wider range of riding conditions.
Yes, of course. I go to decathlon and get 2 bikes for less than 3k.

boots2000

by boots2000

Hes anyone had issues with chain drop on the inside and then the chain getting wedged between the frame and the back side of cranks?
I had this occur. Could barely get the chain out while I was on the road. Hacked up my frame pretty good.
Is there a remedy? I am confident the front derailleur is well adjusted. Is there a chain watcher that people are using? Seems like the frame should have one build in.
Bike bike is built with SRAM Red AXS. 35/48 chainrings on AXS powermeter chassis (not the one piece). 10-33 cassette.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

boots2000 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:25 pm
Hes anyone had issues with chain drop on the inside and then the chain getting wedged between the frame and the back side of cranks?
I had this occur. Could barely get the chain out while I was on the road. Hacked up my frame pretty good.
Is there a remedy? I am confident the front derailleur is well adjusted. Is there a chain watcher that people are using? Seems like the frame should have one build in.
Bike bike is built with SRAM Red AXS. 35/48 chainrings on AXS powermeter chassis (not the one piece). 10-33 cassette.
Kinda a known problem with SRAM AXS FDs, extremely tricky to setup and sometimes still drops even if its perfect. You could probably put a chain catcher on any type of frame with a FD mount

Sock3t

by Sock3t

boots2000 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:25 pm
Welcome to SRAM. They still haven't figured out front derailleurs. This is common practice since ETAP came out.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

IME, SRAM's issue is outboard drops/throws. Inboard drops are almost always a very basic user/setup error.

markdjr

by markdjr

K Edge Pro Chain Catcher on mine just in case.

boots2000

by boots2000

I talked to Enve, they also suggested a K-Edge chain catcher.
They also said that Land Rover Silicon Silver is a perfect touch up color.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Seems the minimum order quantity for shops is two frames.

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

Our LBS has one. It looks good, but I'm kind of not seeing the fuss for north of £5k... Admittedly I've not ridden it, tbf, but that's serious change for factory-made.

pmprego

by pmprego

raggedtrousers wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:59 am
Our LBS has one. It looks good, but I'm kind of not seeing the fuss for north of £5k... Admittedly I've not ridden it, tbf, but that's serious change for factory-made.
Any high end carbon frame costs that. And many of those don't offer handlebar and flexibility to pick your preferred measure or style.

I don't understand this recurring thing about the price of the product. I really don't.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

pmprego wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:12 am
raggedtrousers wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:59 am
Any high end carbon frame costs that. And many of those don't offer handlebar and flexibility to pick your preferred measure or style.

I don't understand this recurring thing about the price of the product. I really don't.
That's not quite true, though. While there certainly are other frames that cost this much (Ostro VAM, C68 are 2 that come to mind), there are plenty that are a bit cheaper (Tarmac SL7, Madone SLR) and they really are pretty similar - they are all far east factory made, come in stock geometry, with stock paint.

And hat's kind of my point: I don't see what makes the Melee stand out in that field, and I'd be looking for more than 'it includes the handlebar' as a point of difference. Let's not forget that for not that much more (relative to this very high kind of spend) you can get an Argonaut with custom layup and custom geo.

I'm not arguing it's a bad bike, and if people say that the Melee's point of difference is ride quality, while still retaining race bike speed, fair enough; like I said, I haven't ridden it. But I still don't see what makes it stand out. :noidea:
-