34mm tubeless road tires

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markdjr

by markdjr

Frisco wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:43 pm
330 grams, but only tan wall available. Either this or compromising and going with a 32mm model.
332g measured for my strada bianca 33. average width 32.5mm +\- 0.3mm on 24mm internal hookless wheel. Maybe it could also be called a 32. One of three that I got would not go on because it was too small. They lost 20psi on the first night, and hopefully they hold up ok and don’t have any issues. I only have one ride on them at 45-50psi so far.
I am running 36c Challenge and they feel pretty quick, I'm looking forward to trying 32c GP 5k S TR. The Challenge hand made tubeless tires are the best riding tires I've tried, I love them. That being said, they are always a nightmare to setup and they do seem to have some occasional QC issues. I had a pair recently that took me two weeks to mount because they were so tight and needed to stretch. I've broken so many tire levers on them and can only use Silca levers for them.

emotive

by emotive

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:32 pm
TLN wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:52 pm
I was reading interesting article on rolling resistance, regarding ultra wide rims and tires. Something like nextie 29id, 32od, 40mm deep. 34c tire becomes 36-37, so rule of 105% is satisfied. That makes is very plush and comfy, with small rr penalty.

That sounss like solution for crappy roads though.
Plus this requires different frame (kanzoo fast). Im going to try 28-30c tire with 25/32 rims first before going wider

That's not at all satisfying the 105% rule, though I believe you are confusing some measurements. It's not possible to have a 29mm inner width and a 32mm outer width.
The measurements of the Nextie AGX45 rims are 29mm inner width, 40mm outer width, and 45mm deep. They turn a lightweight fast road tire into an allroad sized tire.

The 32mm GP5000 or Pro One will measure 36mm.

I'm running the Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass Exrttralite 35mm on the AGX45, tire weight is only 303g, WAM is 39mm, so not quite complying with the rule of 105%, but they are light at 303g, well behaved on road, and big enough for most gravel around my parts. With a close match to the rim width the handle side winds very well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

pmprego wrote: For instance, reserve just out out wheels that are made for racing and are 33 and 35mm outside rim. The future is wider. Just like disc is now accepted to be the norm.
I am not sure where you are from and how terrible your roads are but you must be in a niche that is not any “norm”, neither “accepted” Not for “road” riding.

There is no justification beyond people looking for comfort or unlucky to live in places with poor roads to go that wide. You are not faster, you have a real aero penalty, even with wide rims, lateral deflection making the bike dull, and weight that will also participate to feel the bike sleepy (even with minor impact on measured performance).

wooger

by wooger

Aeo wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:47 am

The goal is to have a road tire with very good rolling resistance in the 10-11-12-13 Watts range (BRR) and acceptable weight.

I am just baffled that there isn't a Vittoria Corsa 32mm or Corsa Control 34mm, Continental Grand Prix 5000 S TR 34mm and so on.

Even current road race bikes can fit those tires but they are not available. Did the endurance road bike market completely disappear?
Why are you so hung up on 34mm as a size? It's just not an increment that's offered.

That said, put a 32mm tyre on a wide rim and marvel as it measures up at ~34mm.

Endurance road bikes have never used 34mm tyres , and what is more _endurance_than the TdF?

TLN

by TLN

wooger wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:51 pm
Endurance road bikes have never used 34mm tyres , and what is more _endurance_than the TdF?
Quite honestly, all the people who are not paid, but ride shitty roads are more endurance than TdF
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

Aeo

by Aeo

wooger wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:51 pm
Endurance road bike is a specific term in the bike industry. Cannondale Synapse, Giant Defy, Trek Domane are examples of products in this category
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

satanas

by satanas

The TDF was a race last time I looked, and Tadey & Jonas seemed to be treating it that way; there's a lot of money and prestige involved in getting to various places the fastest.

Endurance bikes (and riding) aren't just about speed, and most riders don't have team mechanics, team doctors, soigneurs, etc.

Bigger tyres can be useful if one has to ride long distances on crappy roads but I agree that wider rims and tyres must inevitably be heavier, so climbing out of the saddle and accelerating will feel slower. Apart from tyre clearance, bikes with larger tyres IMHO really need a bit more BB drop, especially for 35++mm.

jih

by jih

What's the situation that calls for very wide, slick, fast, light tyres?

Miller

by Miller

I've been riding 34mm Pro One TLRs on my disc bike all summer and just love them for the fast, super comfortable ride that allows a bit of light gravel. But on Sunday I joined a clubrun with some faster riders so hauled out my now-retro rim brake bike with 60mm deep wheels and 25mm tyres in the belief that it's my fastest bike. That one feels fast and clattery over the surface in that high pressure tyre way, and I got round the ride, but now my lower back is a bit sore and I haven't had that all summer. The more I think about, the less I'm convinced that the rim bike really is faster than my disc bike with its 34mm tyres: it *feels* faster, sure, but I'm not sure the numbers bear it out.

That all said I can't be bothered setting up any sort of direct test. This is not a subject that keeps me awake at night, lol. Also, every time I'm choosing which bike to use for a ride, I'm selecting the disc bike with the wider tyres. It's just a nicer place to be.

Erlandal

by Erlandal

jih wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:39 pm
Being the most confortable possible on road while keeping performance mostly intact?

I personally ride 44s on road (coming from 32, and even before 25) and couldn't see myself using anything less.

C36

by C36

Erlandal wrote:
jih wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:39 pm
Being the most confortable possible on road while keeping performance mostly intact?

I personally ride 44s on road (coming from 32, and even before 25) and couldn't see myself using anything less.
I totally understand conditions that dictate to have such wide tires (even if would question its “sport road” but closer from what in Europe we call “cyclo-tourism” that explore roads that may be very degraded) but the “wide = fast” is not that easy.
If you keep the same comfort level between widths, you don’t have any RR gain but carry aerodrag, lateral deflection and weight.

If you use the wider, lower pressures range offered by very wide tires you drastically improve comfort to levels narrower tires will immediately pinch flats, but then substantially increases drag… in some cases that’s needed but don’t get fooled by the “wider is almost as fast”.
Last edited by C36 on Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.

matcav

by matcav

My summer bike with 35mm gravelkings.
310gr each & 14w at 60psi (tubeless, according to BRR)
Attachments
PXL_20220722_175519935.jpg

C36

by C36

markdjr wrote:
I am running 36c Challenge and they feel pretty quick, I'm looking forward to trying 32c GP 5k S TR. The Challenge hand made tubeless tires are the best riding tires I've tried,
The limit of “feel”. The challenge in 30mm is already 4w slower than the GP5k under very rough conditions, the 36 will have even more rolling losses… but for sure they will be able to deliver a superb comfort level.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Pretty much take anything wooger says on here, Something Awful or Reddit and know that the opposite is true.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

GP5000s TR in 32mm on a 25mm internal rim measures 34.5mm
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg