Panaracer Agilest

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanyu

by alanyu

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:22 am
Slight rant about the current state of BRR voting.

I know it’s a democracy and all, but why is the 32mm Corsa N.EXT TLR nearly in a winning position when both the 26mm and 28mm have been reviewed. Additionally the 26mm clincher version is rising up the voting ranks.
I emailed Jarno on the splitting votes due to width variants one or two months ago, and apperantly it is not corrected. I regret the one-year subscription and won't pay for it anymore.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Magnetize6932

by Magnetize6932

Got in the regular 25c clinchers today from Excel Sports. One weighed in at 190.5g, the other at 195.5g. The heavier one has untidy finishing, while the on-spec one is much neater. On both, there are some spots where the rubber has rubbed away to reveal the bead. This happened where the tire was folded in the box - perhaps rubbing somewhere in transit.

Bike is on the trainer now, so won't have any ride reports until warmer weather returns.
Attachments
Agilest 190.5.jpeg
Agilest tidy.jpeg
Agilest 195.5.jpeg
Agilest Rough.jpeg

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Lakal wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:35 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:

I know it’s a democracy and all, but why is the 32mm Corsa N.EXT TLR nearly in a winning position when both the 26mm and 28mm have been reviewed. Additionally the 26mm clincher version is rising up the voting ranks.
Agree, it is stupid.
Agree as well. Few months back, the Agilest didn't make it because votes were spread across multiple combinations of TLR/clincher and various sizes.

But to be fair, there are differences between clincher and TLR variants of many tires. And I'm not sure whether 25mm or 28mm should be the standard size used.

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:00 am
The Agilest TLR isn't bad in weight but not much lighter than 30mm GP5000S TR (292g) or the similarly sized 28mm Power Cup (281g). These tires are its direct competitors.
If your point is that tubeless road tires are trending lighter, then I agree—it's a delightful development.

But the 30mm Agilest's claimed weight is 260g, 40 grams lighter than the GP5000S TR's claimed weight and 32 grams lighter than the real-world weight you cite.

If production 30mm Agilests are reasonably close to the claimed weight, then I'd argue¹ that a ≈10% reduction in weight is nothing to sniff at. But YMMV.

¹Edit: per a post on page 2 of this thread, one real-world 30mm Agilest weighed 262 grams, so yeah—that Agilest is 38 grams lighter than the Conti. That's a 13% difference—I wouldn't dismiss that number. For perspective, a bike weighing in 13% under the 6.8 kg UCI limit would be 5.9 kg.
Last edited by youngs_modulus on Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

BigBoyND wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:24 pm
Lakal wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:35 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:

Agree, it is stupid.
Agree as well. Few months back, the Agilest didn't make it because votes were spread across multiple combinations of TLR/clincher and various sizes.

But to be fair, there are differences between clincher and TLR variants of many tires. And I'm not sure whether 25mm or 28mm should be the standard size used.
Thirded. Though I am personally very happy with what I get for my subscription to BRR, I think the voting system is suboptimal and, frankly, a little Byzantine. I wish Jarno would curate the review candidates a bit to:

(a) prevent vote-splitting by five variations of the same tire and especially

(b) weight things in favor of tires that are especially interesting from a rolling-resistance perspective. The problem, of course, is that different people have different interests. But by necessity, Jarno is deeply engaged in the release of interesting tires, so maybe he could exercise a little editorial judgement in slimming down the list of review-able tires.

I suspect the voting system isn't there only to help Jarno review the tires his subscribers want to read about, but maybe also to suss out emerging trends in the tire market more generally.

If that guess is right, I don't mean to imply that anything sketchy is happening. I'm only suggesting that the voting system may not be exclusively for readers. But yeah, it could be a whole lot simpler and more transparent.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

youngs_modulus wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:15 pm
But the 30mm Agilest's claimed weight is 260g, 40 grams lighter than the GP5000S TR's claimed weight and 32 grams lighter than the real-world weight you cite.
Claimed weight is 270g on the Panaracer USA site, which is just 10g less than the Power Cup, measured.

At 260g confirmed, I agree the Panaracer tire is very light for a 30mm TL tire! Looking at their site, it looks like the TLR version loses the tread protection strip of the clincher version. Really curious how it'll perform on BRR, both puncture and RR

apolloFER

by apolloFER

Got my Agilest 28mm TLRs a few weeks back and decided to mount them on my wheels today.

On LB AR55 rims (21mm) they ended up 28.4mm-28.5mm after a few hours. Will probably grow by another few mm. Pretty much spot on and same as my Veloflex Corsa EVO TLR 28mm.

Weights were really good - 239g and 242.5g.

Mounting them was... painful. Getting them on the rim was pretty straightforward. Levers for the last section only. But getting them to "pop" and seat took a long time. I've had my fair share of stuborn tires. These were among the most stuborn ones (almost like Veloflex Corsa EVO/RACE TLR). It takes around 70psi for the bead to pop (much higher than other tires on these rims). And I had to add a fair amount of sealant to stop the air bleeding. All of this was with a tubeless tank pumped to around 120-140psi. At one point they started idling at around 35psi but wouldn't go above 60psi (air started escaping at the bead) and wouldn't pop. They finally popped after about 2-3 consecutive 130psi tank bursts. When they finally popped, they popped so loud that my ears were ringing for half a minute.

I won't be testing them out for quite some time since those wheels will be used for a new bike build so won't know how they handle until spring.

wltz

by wltz

apolloFER wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:17 pm
At one point they started idling at around 35psi but wouldn't go above 60psi (air started escaping at the bead) and wouldn't pop. They finally popped after about 2-3 consecutive 130psi tank bursts. When they finally popped, they popped so loud that my ears were ringing for half a minute.
Known issue with a bunch of tubeless tyres, especially when using non-UST rims with the tape. A dash of soap / washing up liquid + some water over the beads goes a long way in solving it. Deflate, rinse and repeat for every stubborn segment of the tyre until it's fully seated.

apolloFER

by apolloFER

You know, now that I think of it, I did replace the tape. I was out of MucOff tape so switched to some Prime. It's possible the tape is less slipery so bead had more friction getting over the hump than with MucOff. All other TLR tires on those rims were with MucOff tape and had no such problem (besides Veloflex but it is notorious for different reasons).

wltz

by wltz

I imagine the Veloflex Corsas will behave similar to Vittoria Corsas when seating? I have a set, but it's for next summer when my last pair of Galaktics wears out.

I've been using the soap method with every tyre on my set of Farsports gravel wheels, it's just how these rims behave. The last time I used soap was last week setting up Goodyear Eagles on Vel's alloy rims - they came with a pathetic rim tape job, so I knew it was coming before I even started inflation. Thankfully, the soap method just works.

s3si1u

by s3si1u

Just ordered me a set of 28mm regular clinchers from Excel Sports. It was a great deal and I've been looking for something a little narrower than my current 29mm Enve set, so I bit the bullet. They also have a very good deal on the tubeless version.
I'm a definite tubeless convert for road, but I opted for the clinchers as they were $20 cheaper and this is a good excuse to try out those cool new TPU tubes. I love the Gravelking line, so my hopes are high for this set! If all goes well, I may pick up a tubeless set later on as well.

s3si1u

by s3si1u

Received a pair of standard Agilest 28c in black a few days ago and finally got around to opening the package. First impressions is they look nice, I'm used to riding tan walls (and tubeless) but I'm ready for a change.
The each weighed in at 207g, 3 grams lighters than advertised. Excited to try these out, still waiting on a shipment of Ridenow tubes so I can install them.

mathias720

by mathias720

i have recieved and ridden a pair of the lightweight 25c agilest (clincher)
they came in at 159,8 and 161,5 for each tire. i have had them mounted to a farsport clincher rim but didnt meassure them, i will meassure them once i have them mounted again. but riding experince was good, grip was on the low end i found, but not to little.

r33prman

by r33prman

Just had a set of 28mm tlr arrive today. Forgot to weigh cause I was so keen to fit them up. Mounted to a set of enve 5.6 ses hooked with not a lot of effort. Mounting have the hands a little workout but no levers needed and I was able to inflate with a truck pump with the valve stems still installed. Leaving them inflated over night at 80 to see if they'll swell but at the moment they measure true to size.

Ride report will come after the weekend.

harblhat

by harblhat

Results are out: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... gilest-tlr. Quite a bit slower than I was hoping for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com