2023 S-Works Helmets

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:06 pm
Did something happen with the new TT helmet? Don't think I saw anybody wearing it for the Tour TT. Maybe not as great as they made it sound?
Just speculating, but it's hot as hell. Maybe that snood just is way too hot

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Yeah, heat and climbing definitely Played a role in helmet choice.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

pmprego

by pmprego

So the thing is just a fancy neck warmer? :D

jverdeyen

by jverdeyen

Anyone having issues with the MIPS airnode in the new evade? Mine is falling apart after a month of usage.
Any idea where I can order a new one?

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Shoudl be covered by warranty?!
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

danridesbikes

by danridesbikes

a lot of closeout deals on the Evade III at the moment, something else coing or just post tour discounts?

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Anybody has issues with the Evade 3 getting dents rather quickly? Got a replacement helmet already but the shell is so fragile, I can push in dents with a single finger.... Very dissappointing comapred to the Evade 2
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

cgrubb

by cgrubb

I recently bought a new Prevail. Very nice helmet. My main reason to buy it was the improved ventilation. However, I have found it impossible to wear most days because my head is getting very sunburnt - obviously the extra vents = extra sun reaching your head. Anybody else suffered this? What is the solution? Sunscreen in the hair is not a great idea.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

cgrubb wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:15 pm
I recently bought a new Prevail. Very nice helmet. My main reason to buy it was the improved ventilation. However, I have found it impossible to wear most days because my head is getting very sunburnt - obviously the extra vents = extra sun reaching your head. Anybody else suffered this? What is the solution? Sunscreen in the hair is not a great idea.
Unfortunately, other than sunscreen in the hair/scalp, your only other option is some sort of physical protection, like a beanie cap or headband. I see that Specialized themselves sell one that is supposed to have upf 50+ protection. Other brands (Giro, Assos, Pearl, etc.) seem to make very similar items. I say "unfortunately," because despite the marketing about moisture transfer and cooling effects of modern fabrics, my own experience is that having an additional layer is almost always warmer in the hot summer days.

req110

by req110

I am riding Giro Eclipse Spherical, which seems to be as fast or maybe faster than vanquish, which was one of the top in the chart.
but I wouldn't say I like the design kind of. I hate it actually.

I would normally ride my other helmet - POC Ventral Air Lite (I am using it for XC) > which is ultra comfortable and I like it's simple design. Issue is that difference between them may be 10-15W, which is huge savings. This amount of watt make people to purchase new wheelset, so it's pretty sad to lose it with a helmet.

So I am considering

s-works prevail 3 > I really love the design, there is great deal on fjallraven color which I like >>> but there are no aerodynamic claims, even it's specialized helmet, I would expect there some strong statement, the fact that there are no statements, means it's anti-aero

specialized propero 4 > they say it's 4W faster than prevail 3, which is not much given the ugly design of propero 4

s-works evade 3 >>> that looks too aero, too long, even tho it's nicer than evade 2.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

spud

by spud

jverdeyen wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:44 am
Anyone having issues with the MIPS airnode in the new evade? Mine is falling apart after a month of usage.
Any idea where I can order a new one?

yeah, my Prevail pads started delaminating after about 3 months, they are garbage. First time I've ever had that problem within 3-4 years of use. No warranty either.

by 208

req110 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:51 am
I am riding Giro Eclipse Spherical, which seems to be as fast or maybe faster than vanquish, which was one of the top in the chart.

I would normally ride my other helmet - POC Ventral Air Lite (I am using it for XC) > which is ultra comfortable and I like it's simple design. Issue is that difference between them may be 10-15W, which is huge savings. This amount of watt make people to purchase new wheelset, so it's pretty sad to lose it with a helmet.
Where are you getting the helmet aero numbers? This -> giro eclipse spherical vs poc ventral lite is 10-15W difference.

Wouldn't mind checking out a few helmet figures myself

Erwin

by Erwin

What do you guys think of the Sweet Protection Falconer 2VI Aero? I ride the Evade 2 since a few years now. The Falconer is a little heavier, but should fit quite well. It also has the magnetic lock mechanism like the Evade 2 (unlike Evade 3). But couldn't find any aero claims about it.

MaGiu

by MaGiu

was my last specialized . so bad quality . switch to ekoi

req110

by req110

208 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:57 pm
req110 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:51 am

Where are you getting the helmet aero numbers? This -> giro eclipse spherical vs poc ventral lite is 10-15W difference.

Wouldn't mind checking out a few helmet figures myself
Here sir

SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com