2023 S-Works Helmets

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by 208

req110 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm
208 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:57 pm
req110 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:51 am
I am riding Giro Eclipse Spherical, which seems to be as fast or maybe faster than vanquish, which was one of the top in the chart.
but I wouldn't say I like the design kind of. I hate it actually.

I would normally ride my other helmet - POC Ventral Air Lite (I am using it for XC) > which is ultra comfortable and I like it's simple design. Issue is that difference between them may be 10-15W, which is huge savings. This amount of watt make people to purchase new wheelset, so it's pretty sad to lose it with a helmet.
Where are you getting the helmet aero numbers? This -> giro eclipse spherical vs poc ventral lite is 10-15W difference.

Wouldn't mind checking out a few helmet figures myself
Here sir

Fantastic, thanks mate.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

That test is actually pretty surprising. The Delta between lightweight and the best aero helmet (and this is an OLD test) is up to 13w!? at 45kph? (typical racing speed). That's a lot of free watts by just swapping your headgear.

would be interesting to see the latest helmets round up. Vanquish is OLD it's like 6-7 years already right? May be the latest wave of aero helmet like the new POC and Kask with ear cover or even the Evade 3 would get you 15 ish w compared to the lightest aeriest helmet. That's bigger than any frame swap you could ever buy.

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

ichobi wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:26 am
That test is actually pretty surprising. The Delta between lightweight and the best aero helmet (and this is an OLD test) is up to 13w!? at 45kph? (typical racing speed). That's a lot of free watts by just swapping your headgear.

would be interesting to see the latest helmets round up. Vanquish is OLD it's like 6-7 years already right? May be the latest wave of aero helmet like the new POC and Kask with ear cover or even the Evade 3 would get you 15 ish w compared to the lightest aeriest helmet. That's bigger than any frame swap you could ever buy.
It also depends on the individual, how much a helmet can save. But anything on your body can be a significant savings.
Personally, the Evade does seem the fastest for me. I've read overall, it's consistently one of the best for many people. Interesting to read how damage prone the latest Evade is. Maybe one to avoid. I hate that mashed up look, even if it's minor.

However, my favorite helmet is the Kask Protone. Go figure...

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

ichobi wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:26 am
That test is actually pretty surprising. The Delta between lightweight and the best aero helmet (and this is an OLD test) is up to 13w!? at 45kph? (typical racing speed).
If you're going solo at 45kph, what watts are you pushing?

45kph in a group means far lower relative wind speed hitting the helmet, so the savings are also much lower.

ichobi

by ichobi

The point is if it’s 15w at 45 kph, it would still mean 9-10w at a more realistic solo pace at around 38-42kph. It’s a lot of w for relatively mundane and comparatively cheap upgrades to say frame or wheels. (Which also are usually testes at the same speed with lower w saving) I have never thought road helmet could save up to that many watts. I always thought may be there are 4-5w between the airy and aero helmet.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

BigBoyND wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:47 am
If you're going solo at 45kph, what watts are you pushing?
340ish off the front, 210w in a field

tbh I don't have +9w more to give in the field situation if I have to surge 30 times over the course of hours.... lol

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

i've never felt that an aero helmet gives any advantage in a road race situation. There's too many other factors at play.
If it mentally helps, certaintly worth it. Just as an example, if it's so hot, a far less aero but fully vented helmet may help you perform better for longer- allowing you to outperform wearing an aero helmet.
It's more valuable on solo rides if you are looking for pr's or tt's. I guess it could help on a gran fondo, but just never felt that would be in any measurable way, a defining factor.
Unfortunately or fortunately, it's really racecraft and your form that determines the winner or how good you perform.

(not speaking to TT's, which of course, is more quantifiable.)

I say all that but i'm also a big hypocrite because I feel aero kit does make you faster and more efficient.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Yes. In a nutshell, these things only matter as much as they mean to you. To each their own.

Racecraft and fitness is definitely more important. For some, marginal gains is the difference of finishing with the field or getting blown off the back. For others, marginal gains is the difference between on or off the podium. Essentially, the more one is on either pointier ends of the distribution, the more these things may matter. If you're midpack, marginal gains may be more in the noise. What constitutes pointy or mid, is completely dependent on who, where, what, and how you ride. And everyone is capable of self-selecting the groups they ride with. There will always be more midpack people than on the fringe. So the popular opinion is that marginal gains don't matter. When in fact it really depends on who you are and where you stand. And in the end that's all that really matters. Just how I see it.

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

I'll respectfully disagree about being at the front, mid or lanterne rouge. In any of those cases, it matters the same- which means it doesn't. Unless it does, than it matters equally as much.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Interesting point, and point taken.

It seems that the "never felt aero helmet gives any advantage in RR situation" and "in any of those cases it matters the same (front/mid/back) that it doesn't"... "unless it does, then it equally matters" is proving that there's a true paradox here.

If true, the only general theme then is it only matters as much as it does to the rider. Even if it's meaningless in the grand scheme. But what's life without some meaning, heh.

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

haha, yes I think the mix of marketing, statistics and "facts" when faced with reality just turns me into a contradiction.
man, we got deep on the meta of what aero means. LOL

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

We can go deeper than the deepest dished wheels, but I guess we should go back to aero helmets

IMO, I think Abus Gamechanger's been looking real cool cuz Alpecin and Jasper (love him or hate him). But I miss Spesh Evade II's magnetic clasp. Really interesting that Giro Vanquish tests well on the mannequin.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

maxim809 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:56 am
We can go deeper than the deepest dished wheels, but I guess we should go back to aero helmets

IMO, I think Abus Gamechanger's been looking real cool cuz Alpecin and Jasper (love him or hate him). But I miss Spesh Evade II's magnetic clasp. Really interesting that Giro Vanquish tests well on the mannequin.
I love the magnetic Fidlock clasp. I had a crash last year with the Evade II and had to get a new one. Cut the clasp and plan to put it on my TT helmet.
Last edited by BigBoyND on Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

The Abus is a good helmet but the Evade 2 feels faster. Don't know the tests, but the Evade is noticably more quiet - at least on me.
I'm going to guess the longer tail of the Evade is a factor.
I like the Abus bc the sunglass port is better.

The Vanquish Fred factor is off the charts. Is the aero with or without the visor? I have to guess without the visor, it's not nearly as good.

Upcountry

by Upcountry

BigBoyND wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:28 am
I love the magnetic Fidlock clasp. I had a crash last year with three Evade II and had to get a new one. Cut the clasp and plan to put it on my TT helmet.
I've swapped them onto every helmet I own...
https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/f ... 9006627725

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com