About Cervelo S5 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tomandtom

by Tomandtom

Hi guys. I am planning to build a new bike.

I am considering cervelo new s5. I read some reviews about S5, and all the review said it is really a fast bike.

However, I want to hear some reviews or experiences from real users or any updated news about new cervelo s5.

Hope to share your ideas.

Thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

It is a very fast bike. Not the most comfortable but okay, I find the handling about okay, but the aero climbing bikes I have had were more nimble through sharp turns.
It has great straightlline stability and feels more aero than SL7 or Trek Emonda.
The limited tire clearance of the current one was something I wouldn't want anymore.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Tomandtom

by Tomandtom

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:39 pm
It is a very fast bike. Not the most comfortable but okay, I find the handling about okay, but the aero climbing bikes I have had were more nimble through sharp turns.
It has great straightlline stability and feels more aero than SL7 or Trek Emonda.
The limited tire clearance of the current one was something I wouldn't want anymore.
Thank you for your answers.
I wonder your aero climbing bike.
According to your answer, s5 is good at flat, not bad in climbing, not bad cornering. Am I right?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Tomandtom wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:07 am

I am considering cervelo new s5. I read some reviews about S5, and all the review said it is really a fast bike.

However, I want to hear some reviews or experiences from real users or any updated news about new cervelo s5.

Thank you.
I would also buy this if i bought any aero bike/ frameset.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Tomandtom

by Tomandtom

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:11 pm
Tomandtom wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:07 am

Thank you.
I would also buy this if i bought any aero bike/ frameset.
Thank u for answer:)
Me too. The reason I am asking is that i have had all round bikes like tarmac sl5, so i need you guys' opinion or experience about s5

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would guess that no aero bike will feel as a round tubed bike with 27.2mm seat post. Atleast not according to Gerard Vroomen.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Tomandtom

by Tomandtom

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:28 pm
I would guess that no aero bike will feel as a round tubed bike with 27.2mm seat post. Atleast not according to Gerard Vroomen.
You are right. It will be different riding feeling.
Maybe taste issue

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Tomandtom wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:59 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
According to your answer, s5 is good at flat, not bad in climbing, not bad cornering. Am I right?
Yeah, it's not "bad" at anything. It can of course be build to climb super well. A high end build can easily be sub 7.7kg in my size (58), so it climbs just fine. Of course sub 7 is possible, but it's likely you start sacrificing aerodynamics then.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

mr.wulf

by mr.wulf

I am an happy owner of an current S5 in size 56 with Ultegra Di2 (11-speed not the latest 12-speed). Only wheight weenie parts on it are: Tune KommVor saddle, a DuraAce crankset and maybe my Lightbicycle AR56 wheels (DT240 hubs) with 1.432g with GP5000 25c and 28c / Tubolito SRoad tubes.

Wheight complete ready to ride are 7,75 kg which is totally fair for the Ultegra Di2 Build.

With the older DT ARC1400 wheels, which had inner rim width of 17mm, the ride was a bit harsher.
But now with the AR56 wheels (23mm inner width/30mm outer width) the S5 paired with Conti 25 front and 28 rear is really silky smooth for the all and all out Aero bike. Despite the rear 28 Conti blows up to 30mm there is still at every point at least 4-5mm space left. And wider tires then 28/30mm on an Aero bike might be a bit strange.

So if you are looking to improve the comfort without loosing the Aero ability of the S5 plan to get a nice set of wheels with modern inner width (22mm upwards).

Keeping the speed at 35 km/h avrg. is really easier then on my older 2015 Cervelo S3…so I felt the advantages immediately.

Tomandtom

by Tomandtom

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:09 pm
Tomandtom wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:59 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Yeah, it's not "bad" at anything. It can of course be build to climb super well. A high end build can easily be sub 7.7kg in my size (58), so it climbs just fine. Of course sub 7 is possible, but it's likely you start sacrificing aerodynamics then.
I appreciate your answers.
Now I can have some confidence about my choice.

Tomandtom

by Tomandtom

mr.wulf wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:29 am
I am an happy owner of an current S5 in size 56 with Ultegra Di2 (11-speed not the latest 12-speed). Only wheight weenie parts on it are: Tune KommVor saddle, a DuraAce crankset and maybe my Lightbicycle AR56 wheels (DT240 hubs) with 1.432g with GP5000 25c and 28c / Tubolito SRoad tubes.

Wheight complete ready to ride are 7,75 kg which is totally fair for the Ultegra Di2 Build.

With the older DT ARC1400 wheels, which had inner rim width of 17mm, the ride was a bit harsher.
But now with the AR56 wheels (23mm inner width/30mm outer width) the S5 paired with Conti 25 front and 28 rear is really silky smooth for the all and all out Aero bike. Despite the rear 28 Conti blows up to 30mm there is still at every point at least 4-5mm space left. And wider tires then 28/30mm on an Aero bike might be a bit strange.

So if you are looking to improve the comfort without loosing the Aero ability of the S5 plan to get a nice set of wheels with modern inner width (22mm upwards).

Keeping the speed at 35 km/h avrg. is really easier then on my older 2015 Cervelo S3…so I felt the advantages immediately.

Thank you for your detailed answers.
I will build my bike with ultegra 12s with dura ace c50 clincher/tubless ready (new wheelset).
The only thing I considered was about frameset.
There are quite good feedbacks so far. Good to hear them:)

Gx3

by Gx3

Has anyone heard when the updated 2023 S5 will be available for purchase?

bet609

by bet609

maybe soon for my2023? looks like the newly released reserve wheels will be paired with s5 or maybe the soloist.

https://shop.reservewheels.com/products ... road-wheel
Attachments
Screenshot_2022-07-22-10-53-48-294_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
Screenshot_2022-07-22-10-52-13-904_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

cajer

by cajer

bet609 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:56 am
maybe soon for my2023? looks like the newly released reserve wheels will be paired with s5 or maybe the soloist.

https://shop.reservewheels.com/products ... road-wheel
That's definately a new color. Liking the purple. I'm almost defniatley gonna get one. I hope the stem/bars from the last version still work

ODC

by ODC

I wonder when they are going to announce the new cervelo S5. There it's taking such a long time you would begin to think that the model where Wout Van Aert is riding with isn't a new model but just a sort of custom bike for him.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com