About Cervelo S5 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mjolnir2k

by Mjolnir2k

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:42 pm
When pros use(d) it, it is certified fast. The "because pros" argument completely voids every scientific evidence or empirical testing, that'd suggest otherwise.
And real world use often has different criteria / results than in the lab. Tubeless are heavier and more maintenance intensive than tubulars. That's just a fact. The positive gains (slightly faster) they provide are outweighed by their negatives for me. There's a reason the pro's still use Tubulars.

Again, in real world, every day use, by a non-pro, tubulars work just fine and are vastly easier to set up and provide a significant weight savings. I have to use this bike on hills as well, so the weight reduction (at the wheel, no less) is more important to me than a marginal rolling resistance benefit. That's just my specific use case, based upon what I want this bike to do. YMMV.

Now, as far as the tire choice, I'll check out the Michelins.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mjolnir2k

by Mjolnir2k

robeambro wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:40 pm
Mjolnir2k wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:27 pm
robeambro wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:06 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:51 am
Who buys a heavy S5 only to barely lighten it with known sketchy AliE components?
I am more perplexed with whoever buys a peak aero bike and spec it with 81mm wheels only to put slow-as-heck tubulars on. Then again, to each their own. :D
"Slow as heck Tubulars"...mmmm...ok. You should probably let the majority of the pro peloton know your thoughts on this....🤪 imagine how surprised they will be to find out that their use of tubulars is holding them back. The use of tubeless tires may offer slightly lower rolling resistance, it also comes at the expense of significant weight and more of a pain in the butt to set up and maintain. My tubular wheels weigh in at 1350 grams. The exact same wheelset in a clincher / tubeless model adds 250 grams, not counting the additional weight of the rim tape, heavier tires and goop needed in each wheel. All in, that's probably an additional 400-450 grams vs my tubulars.

So, yeah...I'll be just fine rolling my 16.25lb dedicated aero bike on 81mm rims and having to virtually never worry about getting a flat, versus adding 450+ grams to my bike and the headache that tubless brings to the table.
When did you last watch a race, 2019? Almost no team uses tubulars these days.
Anyway, as it's already been told to you above please do chill, it's fairly well known that those specific tubulars are 'not great' (I'm being kind). Ride what you like.
Again, your pompous attitude is really quite something. The fact that you speak to people as you do, then tell them to "chill" when they respond in kind is very amusing. Regardless, to your assertion that "almost no team uses Tubulars these days" here's a quick article for you that highlights how teams have adopted a Tubular and Tubeless use approach, and why teams are moving towards tubeless in the first place (hint, it's got more to do with who sponsors them, than their desire to ride tubeless)

Last point, you will see the pro's and con's listed in the article basically mirror what I have been saying.

https://road.cc/content/feature/why-tub ... nce-294373

Enjoy.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Mjolnir2k wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:52 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
When pros use(d) it, it is certified fast. The "because pros" argument completely voids every scientific evidence or empirical testing, that'd suggest otherwise.
And real world use often has different criteria / results than in the lab. Tubeless are heavier and more maintenance intensive than tubulars. That's just a fact. The positive gains (slightly faster) they provide are outweighed by their negatives for me. There's a reason the pro's still use Tubulars.

Again, in real world, every day use, by a non-pro, tubulars work just fine and are vastly easier to set up and provide a significant weight savings. I have to use this bike on hills as well, so the weight reduction (at the wheel, no less) is more important to me than a marginal rolling resistance benefit. That's just my specific use case, based upon what I want this bike to do. YMMV.

It's fine if they are better for your specific use and I'll not try to argue with it being easier FOR YOU.

I'll however disagree with:
"Being used by the pros" (as in mainly used as the primary choice still)
"Easier to set up" (for me clearly TL)
And any sort of performance advantage.
Tubulars are slower, on nearly any terrain, but a super muddy CX course maybe.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Karvalo

by Karvalo

RDY wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:27 am
Has anyone used one of the bolt on standard stem adapters? I assume it still works with the '23 model.
No, it shouldn't work because the fork/stem interface is different. The 2019 V stem does not fit the 2023 bike, so the 2019 stem adapter won't fit either. I haven't seen a new 2023 stem adapter either.

Mjolnir2k

by Mjolnir2k

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:11 pm
Mjolnir2k wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:52 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:

It's fine if they are better for your specific use and I'll not try to argue with it being easier FOR YOU.

I'll however disagree with:
"Being used by the pros" (as in mainly used as the primary choice still)
"Easier to set up" (for me clearly TL)
And any sort of performance advantage.
Tubulars are slower, on nearly any terrain, but a super muddy CX course maybe.
All good. Everyone's experience is unique to them. No argument that Tubeless have a better rolling resistance, but the level of gain vs a fast rolling tubular (Michelin Power Cup for example) might not be as wide a gap as you'd think. As for ease of use, again..everyone has their own opinion. I've tried both, I like tubulars much more for what I want.

Back on track, I love the S5. I wish it were 1/2lb lighter out of the box and I wish there were proven aftermarket options for the seatpost and bar/stem (I loathe the heavy, proprietary equipment) but for what I intend to use this bike for, it's just about perfect. Getting it down to under 16.5 lbs (for a size 58cm, no less) wasn't that hard and gives me options to use it in other terrain besides pancake flat roads.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Please please... lets get back to topic.

2023 Cervelo S5. as much as I like your bike Mjolnir2k.... it's really a 2022 and thus offtopic
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Mjolnir2k

by Mjolnir2k

spdntrxi wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:39 pm
Please please... lets get back to topic.

2023 Cervelo S5. as much as I like your bike Mjolnir2k.... it's really a 2022 and thus offtopic
Duly noted 👍

otnemem

by otnemem

Hopefully Darimo starts making seatposts for S5s. A bike like this more easily dropped to 7Kg is appetizing.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

The S5 stem, it requires routing hoses through is that correct?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Ist this adapter a cervelo part every Dealer can Order?

ODC

by ODC

eins4eins wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:19 pm

Just curious but why would you use a normal stem on the S5?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

eins4eins wrote:

careful that part was for the 2022 and older S5 and will likely not fit the 2023 version as the fork went through a little redesign. Without an actual part# I dont think it's a good ideal in the 2023 thread.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

eins4eins

by eins4eins

ODC wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:02 pm
eins4eins wrote:

[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0189/ ... 689447[img]
Just curious but why would you use a normal stem on the S5?
Because otherwise i can't get the fit i want.
edit: at the world championship in australia i saw quite a lot of riders using this adapter and it didn't look to bad.

The 2023 still has the CS028 stem, so i assume they didn't change anything. But is the adapter a Cervelo part?

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Not following who is right or wrong here, but there are certainly some smug and arrogant, boastful posters on this site. Of this there can be no debate.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

eins4eins wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:32 am
The 2023 still has the CS028 stem, so i assume they didn't change anything. But is the adapter a Cervelo part?
No, it doesn't. The new S5 uses the new ST35 stem and it only fits the new fork. The previous S5 uses the C028 and it only fits the previous fork.

So the adaptor is a Cervelo part but you can't use it on the new bike.