S-works Mirror saddle wear down bibs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

niftyz

by niftyz

Hi guys, i recently changed my saddle to the power mirror and since bought a new pair of bibs as well
After 2 months my bibs had started to wear(from MAAP) and not sure if the saddle was the issue? It happens to 2 pairs of bibs
Would like to know if its just my luck of getting 2 pairs of low quality bibs or Its the saddle's doing
Love the saddle, would like to keep it as much as possible, but if its wearing down my bibs , i'm afraid imma settle for the non mirror version

TIA

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ABogle

by ABogle

Certain saddles wearing out bibs isn't unheard of. The selle italia Model X apparently does it, the padding has too much grip so it wears away the bibs.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

In addition to material, excessive rocking of the hips/pelvis could probably exacerbate the issue.

riochang

by riochang

It's the combination of mirror saddle and Maap bibs that lead to this issue. I have tested the following scenario extensively. this is what Ive found:

- no wear after 3 rides: Maap Team Evo bibs on Pro Stealth saddle
- no wear after 3 rides: Pas Normal Mechanism bibs on Power Mirror saddle
- significant wear after 3 rides: Maap Team Evo bibs on both "Power" and "Romin" Mirror saddle

To avoid this situation, you want either a) smooth surface saddle, or b) bibs that has more durable fabric.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

I haven't noticed any wear on my shorts (none of which are from MAAP though) from the Power Mirror. The only saddles I have experienced excessive wear from are Fizik saddles with carbon rails, where the rails are (or at least used to be) wrapped in some kind of tape with a very abrasive outer surface.

niftyz

by niftyz

riochang wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:43 am
It's the combination of mirror saddle and Maap bibs that lead to this issue. I have tested the following scenario extensively. this is what Ive found:

- no wear after 3 rides: Maap Team Evo bibs on Pro Stealth saddle
- no wear after 3 rides: Pas Normal Mechanism bibs on Power Mirror saddle
- significant wear after 3 rides: Maap Team Evo bibs on both "Power" and "Romin" Mirror saddle

To avoid this situation, you want either a) smooth surface saddle, or b) bibs that has more durable fabric.
Yes ! I'm wearing the team evo bibs as well. Significant wear . Happen to both of the bibs, so i'd thought its the saddle

niftyz

by niftyz

MayhemSWE wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:21 am
I haven't noticed any wear on my shorts (none of which are from MAAP though) from the Power Mirror. The only saddles I have experienced excessive wear from are Fizik saddles with carbon rails, where the rails are (or at least used to be) wrapped in some kind of tape with a very abrasive outer surface.
Cool, what bibs are you rocking with ?

uppis

by uppis

No problems with Power Mirror and bibs from Castelli and Assos

HaroldC

by HaroldC

I'm wearing MAAP bibs and here are my observations:
MAAP Team Bib - Power Mirror wore through the outer layer. Not sure how many rides, but less than 10
MAAP Training Bibs - No issues or wear with Power Mirror saddle.

I'm guessing the material used in the Team bibs is not as durable or is causing friction with the Mirror saddle.

niftyz

by niftyz

HaroldC wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:08 pm
MAAP Team Bib - Power Mirror wore through the outer layer. Not sure how many rides, but less than 10

I'm guessing the material used in the Team bibs is not as durable or is causing friction with the Mirror saddle.
I see, guess i will need to settle for the non mirror version

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

niftyz wrote:
HaroldC wrote:

So the saddle is not that much more comfortable than the regular version?

niftyz

by niftyz

Eterna7m wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:57 am
niftyz wrote:
HaroldC wrote:

So the saddle is not that much more comfortable than the regular version?
I had the comp version previously before upgrading to the mirror, i'd say its more comfortable but nothing life changing.
I'd keep my mirror if it doesn't wear down my bibs .
But Saddle is really a personal thing.

Tonytony

by Tonytony

I'm about to order a maap team bib evo, but after reading this I'm a little scared. I have a regular power arc saddle. Someone has signs of wear on a regular saddle, maybe at a slower rate than on the mirror saddles?

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Tonytony wrote:I'm about to order a maap team bib evo, but after reading this I'm a little scared. I have a regular power arc saddle. Someone has signs of wear on a regular saddle, maybe at a slower rate than on the mirror saddles?
I think the mirror is the problem, not the shape.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ODC

by ODC

I can confirm, the mirror saddle wears down the bib short faster! Back to the normal Romin for me...