S-works Mirror saddle wear down bibs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sawk

by sawk

Little bit of a revival of an old topic but here it goes.
Did any of you who still own the S-Works Mirror saddle found something to make the wearing of the bib less?

I have gotten the Saddle as a replacement for my Power Pro Elaston and maybe I am just making it up but it seems that the bib (Maap pro bib 2.0) has like the small marks as the Mirror Pattern underneath after riding and the surface of the bib definitely seems sort of sandpapered. Now I am getting worried that the saddle will eat through my selection of good bibs.

pushpush

by pushpush

I would rather sacrifice some bibs over time than ride an uncomfortable saddle.

My PI, Pedal Mafia, and Assos bibs show no signs of wear. It must be an interaction between a specific fabric and the saddle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BudhaNL

by BudhaNL

No issues with Rapha Core, Classic, Pro bibs on a Pro Power Mirror for me.

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

The new expert mirror that came out has what like like a thin layer over the mirror portion, that might help out of you are wearing out bibs.
Unfortunately I don't have one on hand, mine is backordered, coming in November apparently.

sawk

by sawk

pushpush wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:41 pm
I would rather sacrifice some bibs over time than ride an uncomfortable saddle.

My PI, Pedal Mafia, and Assos bibs show no signs of wear. It must be an interaction between a specific fabric and the saddle.
Thanks yr reply, will check with a different brand bibs this afternoon.
BudhaNL wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:51 am
No issues with Rapha Core, Classic, Pro bibs on a Pro Power Mirror for me.
Maybe since I read this when looking up reviews of the saddle I am paying to much attention to it. But it already really seemed like wear on a bibs which I got fresh out of the box. Maybe the saddle also needs to be worn in a bit. Will give it some time and maybe have to play a little with the position of the saddle but won't like it if after a couple of rides my bibs start to be 'see through' ;-)
GlacialPace wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:54 am
The new expert mirror that came out has what like like a thin layer over the mirror portion, that might help out of you are wearing out bibs.
Unfortunately I don't have one on hand, mine is backordered, coming in November apparently.
Ah I see what you mean, the mirror part of the expert indeed seems covered up (not "naked" as with the other mirror saddles). Maybe I should try to find some kind of saddle cover which fits tight.

calv1n

by calv1n

Much as I like MAAP kit, I’ve found some of their recent bibs to wear very quickly even on normal power and arc saddles..

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

No issues so far with 155 power mirror on Assos, MAAP and KALAS clothing

Matte86

by Matte86

I have Rapha Powerwave bibs, Assos RSR and winter bibs and Pas Normal Studios Mechanism bibs and I have 3 SW power mirror saddles on 3 bikes since when they were released and no sign of wear on any of the aforementioned bibs
As a side note A saddle is on my Kickr Bike where I use chamois cream and even there no sign of wear + I haven’t seen a problem with the color of the saddle as others had pointed out before

BLUTACK

by BLUTACK

I would write to MAAP and get a full refund.

sawk

by sawk

Been reading a bit more and trying out now.. It seems that the Mirror Saddle is a tad bit higher than a normal power saddle. In my case the friction could be reduced by lowering the mirror saddle a bit 2 - 3 mm.

ODC

by ODC

calv1n wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:56 am
Much as I like MAAP kit, I’ve found some of their recent bibs to wear very quickly even on normal power and arc saddles..
I'm riding with MAAP kits for around 3-4 years and I must say that I'm not happy with the quality of the latest kits. In the past I never had any problem with my bib shorts and shirts. But with the latest team bib evo bib shorts I really have a lot of problems. They wear down very fast (normal and mirror saddle), loose seams, wear on spots where you never would expect it and I'm even worried to wash the bib shorts because washing them causes wear.

Every time I contact MAAP (show them pictures and explain everything) and they recognize that the wear isn't normal. They give me a new bib shorts (warranty) but the same thing/wear happens again...

sawk

by sawk

ODC wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:15 am
calv1n wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:56 am
I'm riding with MAAP kits for around 3-4 years and I must say that I'm not happy with the quality of the latest kits. In the past I never had any problem with my bib shorts and shirts. But with the latest team bib evo bib shorts I really have a lot of problems. They wear down very fast (normal and mirror saddle), loose seams, wear on spots where you never would expect it and I'm even worried to wash the bib shorts because washing them causes wear.

Every time I contact MAAP (show them pictures and explain everything) and they recognize that the wear isn't normal. They give me a new bib shorts (warranty) but the same thing/wear happens again...
Thanks for sharing this, I would almost feel guilty if I have to contact them again as I thought it would be the saddle te blame. I've had problems with 2 of my bibs for which I received either store credit or a replacement bibs. Had some issues in regard to not being well seamed and some loose seams too. Will keep monitoring it as almost all my kit is MAAP and a few ASSOS bibs.

yeyosupersix

by yeyosupersix

Thoughts on the new S-Works Phenom 3D ?. Thinking to replace my power arc as this seems to improve comfort according to the brand. I´m concerned with non standard surfaces, Selle italia Modx ruined already a pair of my nice bibs.