2022/2023 Canyon ULTIMATE

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

wickedstealthy wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:44 am
OnTheRivet wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:11 pm
I wouldn't be surprised to see this bike with .5 (or more) steeper seat tube on all sizes. World Tour pros are moving to a more forward saddle position and can get around the UCI rule with the new short nosed saddles. Valverde is running his saddle crazy forward this year, it looks weird jammed all the way forward even on a zero offset post. https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/desire-jou ... yon-aeroad
I hope they will run steeper seattubes. Im almost in the situation of looking for a zero offset seatpost and at least 73.5 degree seattube to be able to properly set my saddle.
I had years of issues with my knees unless I slammed the seat forward to -5cm to bb on a regular saddle. This got confirmed by a decent fitter and my knee problems where gone.
This is where I am. I have long legs for my height but oddly long tib/fib so need a forward saddle postion. I fought against proper saddle location for 25 years because it wasn't the standard even after a fitter friend suggested moving my saddle forward. It wasn't until I started doing intervals on the trainer that I said screw it and moved my saddle far enought forward (and down) that I could do 20 minute efforts in the saddle comfortably. What a revelation. With a Syncros (power type) saddle I have never felt as good on a bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

OnTheRivet wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:30 am
wickedstealthy wrote:
OnTheRivet wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see this bike with .5 (or more) steeper seat tube on all sizes. World Tour pros are moving to a more forward saddle position and can get around the UCI rule with the new short nosed saddles. Valverde is running his saddle crazy forward this year, it looks weird jammed all the way forward even on a zero offset post. https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/desire-jou ... yon-aeroad
I hope they will run steeper seattubes. Im almost in the situation of looking for a zero offset seatpost and at least 73.5 degree seattube to be able to properly set my saddle.
I had years of issues with my knees unless I slammed the seat forward to -5cm to bb on a regular saddle. This got confirmed by a decent fitter and my knee problems where gone.
This is where I am. I have long legs for my height but oddly long tib/fib so need a forward saddle postion. I fought against proper saddle location for 25 years because it wasn't the standard even after a fitter friend suggested moving my saddle forward. It wasn't until I started doing intervals on the trainer that I said screw it and moved my saddle far enought forward (and down) that I could do 20 minute efforts in the saddle comfortably. What a revelation. With a Syncros (power type) saddle I have never felt as good on a bike.
]

Idd. I recently bought a Colnago V3Rs in size 52s which to some is maybe a bit too large but it feel perfect. Saddle height is at 75cm and I have a drop of around -10cm. The saddle is a bit more forward but still looks nice with a straight post.
Eying already for 2y on Basso as the Diamante SV and the new Palta II are perfect with their 74degree seattube. But somehow they refuse to produce a straight seatpost :( :(

man1ac

by man1ac

The color is just beautiful. :D
Still cant make my mind up for aeroad or ultimate...damn!
Attachments
FZ-Dg66WAAQ6Aqb.jpg

Cannoli

by Cannoli

man1ac wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:47 pm
I have both and they're both great bikes. That is, I have the previous generation Ultimate SLX and the current generation Aeroad CFR. I love riding them both, but for different reasons. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

wickedstealthy wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:41 am
OnTheRivet wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:30 am
wickedstealthy wrote:
OnTheRivet wrote:
]

Idd. I recently bought a Colnago V3Rs in size 52s which to some is maybe a bit too large but it feel perfect. Saddle height is at 75cm and I have a drop of around -10cm. The saddle is a bit more forward but still looks nice with a straight post.
Eying already for 2y on Basso as the Diamante SV and the new Palta II are perfect with their 74degree seattube. But somehow they refuse to produce a straight seatpost :( :(
How high is the top bearing dust cap?
I guess it's not included in stack height (do you know)?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:10 pm

How high is the top bearing dust cap?
I guess it's not included in stack height (do you know)?
Normally not. At least my Endurace and Colnago have the stack listed WITHOUT topcap. Canyon I think has typically more then 10mm. Colnago a 5mm and some 1-2mm ring.
Basso you can run the stem without any topcap

walkiebro

by walkiebro

Does anyone have an idea when this bike is actually going to be released?

wozzo

by wozzo

man1ac wrote:
and I still can't get over why people keep buying the aeroad even though they still haven't fixed the seatpost properly. you guys spend your pretty large sums of money on a bike that has a big defect. I would not be surprised if these were single cases, but the internet buzzes about it, about quick home repairs, hotfixes, taping, greasing which you don't know how long they going to last, and what will be the effect of using this type of repair in the long run. Shocking

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Not the 2023/2023 Ultimate, but here's a cool Ultimate encounter I had today. I stopped at a small park for an impromptu picnic with my dog at a familiar spot for cyclists including me (near the Portola Valley Roberts Market). Two cyclists came by with great bikes, one a Canyon. I said I admired Canyon and had been at its US launch in 2019 (Sea Otter), but was disappointed in the low availability here in the USA when I've been in the market for a new bike. The rider of the other bike (a Synapse) said, "if only there was someone who could address that complaint." They laughed because the Canyon cyclist is a member of its board of directors! I congratulated him on the LeBron James investment (which I think is a big deal). Here's the cool part: the Ultimate he was riding was the first one ever in North America. Awesome! We all agreed that supply chain issues were tough. Here's hoping for improvement because Canyon always is on my list of contenders when I'm considering a new bike. Before it arrived here I literally was looking at schedules for Rhine River cruises and maps of Kobkenz to plan a combination vacation with my wife / bike shopping trip. The Canyon rider said they sometimes call the Koblenz facility the biggest bike shop in the world.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

KalleWirsch

by KalleWirsch

Stendhal wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:35 am
... Before it arrived here I literally was looking at schedules for Rhine River cruises and maps of Kobkenz to plan a combination vacation with my wife / bike shopping trip. The Canyon rider said they sometimes call the Koblenz facility the biggest bike shop in the world.
Just FYI: You can´t shop / buy bikes in the Koblenz Headquarter. You can look at them and test ride them at their parking lot, but you have to order them online and they get delivered by parcel.

KalleWirsch

by KalleWirsch

Good to see that they seem to offer a 0 Offset seatpost. The old seatpost was too much in the back for many riders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeAZl5ondkQ

BrianAllan

by BrianAllan

wozzo wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:25 am
man1ac wrote:
and I still can't get over why people keep buying the aeroad even though they still haven't fixed the seatpost properly. you guys spend your pretty large sums of money on a bike that has a big defect. I would not be surprised if these were single cases, but the internet buzzes about it, about quick home repairs, hotfixes, taping, greasing which you don't know how long they going to last, and what will be the effect of using this type of repair in the long run. Shocking
I'm still planning on purchasing one and the reason I'm doing so is that the bang for buck is SO MUCH higher than anything else on the market. I'm willing to put a little tape on some carbon to save myself $3k.

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

Got an email today from Canyon-think this is for the new Ultimate?

A long time coming
Improving upon something so perfect was no easy task. Save the date; on September 8, 2022 the long wait will finally be over. Sign up below to stay in the know.

I have an Ultimate Evo Disc 10.0 LTD that I love-not sure I will be in a big hurry to upgrade, especially with today's crazy prices, but still excited to see what the offerings will be.

chicagocyclist

by chicagocyclist

cycleboyco wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:51 am
Got an email today from Canyon-think this is for the new Ultimate?

A long time coming
Improving upon something so perfect was no easy task. Save the date; on September 8, 2022 the long wait will finally be over. Sign up below to stay in the know.

I have an Ultimate Evo Disc 10.0 LTD that I love-not sure I will be in a big hurry to upgrade, especially with today's crazy prices, but still excited to see what the offerings will be.
No question... I'm just hoping they come in at reasonable price points but I'm no lt holding my breath!

KalleWirsch

by KalleWirsch

Looks like the new Ultimate will be launched on September 8th, following Canyons announcement about something big happening after 4 years of development.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com