2022/2023 Canyon ULTIMATE

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Roel W wrote:
robbosmans wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:56 pm
Great it uses the same stupid proprietary bar and stem. Which leaves little to no adjustability for the customer. Well done Canyon.
I don't undertand.
They made this msitake with a proprietary parts on the Grail CF (hoover bar) and the latest Aeroad and now again on the new Ultimate. And all that for the sake of hiding the cables.
I have 4 Canyon bkies. Changed the stem for a longer version on all of them. A bike that does not allow to change the stem length is an no-go.
I think it’s rather for the height adjustment without cutting the steerer and maybe because it’s easier for them to ship the bikes.
There are plenty of manufacturers that offer cable integration without crazy overengineering.

Lina

by Lina

thirdsun wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:54 am
Roel W wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:09 am
robbosmans wrote:
Great it uses the same stupid proprietary bar and stem. Which leaves little to no adjustability for the customer. Well done Canyon.
I don't undertand.
They made this msitake with a proprietary parts on the Grail CF (hoover bar) and the latest Aeroad and now again on the new Ultimate. And all that for the sake of hiding the cables.
I have 4 Canyon bkies. Changed the stem for a longer version on all of them. A bike that does not allow to change the stem length is an no-go.
Well, integrated cockpits are here to stay and an increasing number of customers expects them on higher end models. You may not like it but there are still other options out there for you.

Also, I don't think that Canyon considers their Grail Hover bar a mistake. It's polarizing and it looks different, sure. However actual customers seem to like it, the bike reviews well and is constantly sold out. Was the hover bar necessary? Maybe not but it's certainly not a failure.
Sure, integrated bars are expected. And Canyon has had them for ages on their high end models. But integrated doesn't, and shouldn't, mean that it's proprietary and you can't change the cockpit easily. Even full cable integration isn't a good enough reason to make a cockpit that is fully proprietary.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

It’s primarily an industrialisation innovation. Their model is to sell and ship assembled bikes. It facilitate building the bike, shipping the bike and limits the amount of parts being manufactured.

As user you can adjust stack and width, interesting but still too limited (I would need 100 or 110mm stem x 380 width and it just doesn’t exist.

Alfus

by Alfus

If I can change cockpit is a no go...

Bjobjo

by Bjobjo

They just routed the cables through a headset cover on their latest XC race bike and god, I really hope they just use this on the new ultimate, even if it is for the SLX or SL level. Their quill style bar combo is just a golden cage to me and I would rather be able to use an extralite stem and random carbon bar than a bar whose ends are held on with bolts.

tomtom

by tomtom

thirdsun wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:54 am
Roel W wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:09 am
robbosmans wrote:
I don't undertand.
Well, integrated cockpits are here to stay and an increasing number of customers expects them on higher end models. You may not like it but there are still other options out there for you.

Also, I don't think that Canyon considers their Grail Hover bar a mistake. It's polarizing and it looks different, sure. However actual customers seem to like it, the bike reviews well and is constantly sold out. Was the hover bar necessary? Maybe not but it's certainly not a failure.
The hoverbar looks, feels & rides great! The CP0018 cockpit too....the Aeroad's still sells like candy so probably Canyon has it right. Plenty options out there if you don't like it :thumbup:!
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

I wouldn't be surprised to see this bike with .5 (or more) steeper seat tube on all sizes. World Tour pros are moving to a more forward saddle position and can get around the UCI rule with the new short nosed saddles. Valverde is running his saddle crazy forward this year, it looks weird jammed all the way forward even on a zero offset post. https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/desire-jou ... yon-aeroad

LegendRider

by LegendRider

Anyone have an idea when the bike will be available for sale? At or around the Tour? This fall? 2023?

WWerreWW

by WWerreWW

Bjobjo wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:25 pm
They just routed the cables through a headset cover on their latest XC race bike and god, I really hope they just use this on the new ultimate, even if it is for the SLX or SL level. Their quill style bar combo is just a golden cage to me and I would rather be able to use an extralite stem and random carbon bar than a bar whose ends are held on with bolts.

I agree with you, I think this is a great solution. I find it funny how people CRUCIFIED Specialized for doing exactly this on the new Allez Sprint.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

LegendRider wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:07 pm
Anyone have an idea when the bike will be available for sale? At or around the Tour? This fall? 2023?
Probably around the Tour.

Simon Richardson from GCN recently had a mysterious Strava Ride in Koblenz with Canyon's Matthew Leake (https://www.strava.com/activities/7126687642) - for me that's a dead giveaway that a new product launch is imminent and I don't see what else it could be other than the Ultimate.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

Ritxis

by Ritxis

OnTheRivet wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:11 pm
I wouldn't be surprised to see this bike with .5 (or more) steeper seat tube on all sizes. World Tour pros are moving to a more forward saddle position and can get around the UCI rule with the new short nosed saddles. Valverde is running his saddle crazy forward this year, it looks weird jammed all the way forward even on a zero offset post. https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/desire-jou ... yon-aeroad
Valverde has been with the saddle very advanced for years, it is not a thing of this year ........It will be a matter of its physiomine to adapt it to the geometry of the Canyon.............look at his Ultimates from years ago

Ultimate 2018 Wold Champion
wNEJ6Edy8vvRLyVbJaPijm-970-80.jpg

Bjobjo

by Bjobjo

WWerreWW wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:32 pm
Bjobjo wrote:

I agree with you, I think this is a great solution. I find it funny how people CRUCIFIED Specialized for doing exactly this on the new Allez Sprint.
I believe people roasted Specialized as those bikes mainly use mechanical gears, and then I would agree these angles can decrease shift quality. But given anything above the midfield for roadbikes is electronic shifting with hydraulic braking, I don't really see a problem.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

OnTheRivet wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:11 pm
I hope they will run steeper seattubes. Im almost in the situation of looking for a zero offset seatpost and at least 73.5 degree seattube to be able to properly set my saddle.
I had years of issues with my knees unless I slammed the seat forward to -5cm to bb on a regular saddle. This got confirmed by a decent fitter and my knee problems where gone.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Bjobjo wrote:

Because to some people such as myself it's a compromise solution that doesn't really please any party. Either have the cables properly exposed for ease of maintenance and better shifting with mechanical groupsets or fully hidden away for the clean, slick look.

Lina

by Lina

CampagYOLO wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:20 am
Bjobjo wrote:

Because to some people such as myself it's a compromise solution that doesn't really please any party. Either have the cables properly exposed for ease of maintenance and better shifting with mechanical groupsets or fully hidden away for the clean, slick look.
But the only time you'll ever see the cables there is when taking pictures of your bike. But instead of a fully hidden solution it makes travel A LOT easier. Not to mention you can use a standard straight steerer and whatever stem you want. Surely a perk weight weenies would appreciate since it means you're not tied to whatever boat anchor the manufacturer decided is good enough.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com