2022/2023 Canyon ULTIMATE

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lina

by Lina

Even for Aeroad buyers the CFR isn't the go to model.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

The SLX is probably the sweet spot for most (and that's what I would get if I was buying one) but the CFR is still the top of the range option.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Cannoli

by Cannoli

The fork looks different on the OPs pic. I have the "not the newest" Ultimate and my fork doesn't have that sharp angle at the top near the head tube.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

Cemicar

by Cemicar

CampagYOLO wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:45 pm
Canyon seem pretty wedded to BB86 so this is very unlikely.
Specialized and Trek were divorced with OSBB and BB90 respectively after pretending they were the happiest couples ever.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Cemicar wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:55 am
CampagYOLO wrote:
Specialized and Trek were divorced with OSBB and BB90 respectively after pretending they were the happiest couples ever.
The new Endurace is BB86, Canyon won't be shifting this product generation.

Golden

by Golden

Looks like aero seatpost, no?

SCJKJ

by SCJKJ

If you do pressfit right, I prefer it over threaded. Hopefully QC Is on par.

If it's around the same weight as now and is a little aero minded(not like the Aeroad of course) whilst having integrated cables, I'd consider it.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Golden wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:54 am
Looks like aero seatpost, no?
Looks like it may be a D shaped post like the Supersix or TCR.

Lina

by Lina

Cemicar wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:55 am
CampagYOLO wrote:
Both OSBB and BB90 are a lot worse standards than BB86. The only problem with it is 30 mm axles. BB386EVO would be better but BB86 isn't bad. And I'll much rather have a well made press fit BB than a threaded one that's badly made. And considering most manufacturers going back to threaded are doing it because their press fit BBs and QC was awful it's not likely that they'll change anything in that department. Haven't heard many complaints about Canyon's BBs so it's most likely going to be fine no matter the standard.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

CampagY[color=#800080 wrote:OLO post_id=1751318 time=1654667613 user_id=102683]
So you'll still have to remove the pressfit cups to get access to the battery? It's the last bike I'd travel with on a plane. When you go with SRAM, you also have to choose between either of GXP or DUB BB86 (with ROTOR, even worse). Not sure BB86 is something worth sticking to.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Cemicar wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:50 pm
So you'll still have to remove the pressfit cups to get access to the battery? It's the last bike I'd travel with on a plane. When you go with SRAM, you also have to choose between either of GXP or DUB BB86 (with ROTOR, even worse). Not sure BB86 is something worth sticking to.
I have the DUB/BB86 combo on my Canyon road and Giant gravel bikes. Both have been perfect. Caveat, I NEVER wash my bikes with water, so I even get really good life out of my mtb frame and BB bearings.

stevesbike

by stevesbike

Cemicar wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:50 pm
The workaround is to just install the bearing cups and not the sleeve - this allows you to access the wiring without having to remove a cup

Roel W

by Roel W

hannawald wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:00 pm
Hmmm, hopefully after 6 or 7 years after the release of previous version Canyon is capable of more than just integrated cables:)
What do you expect more?
It will be slightly lighter, slightly stiffer, (slightly?) more expensive. That's for sure.

Integrated cable routing is less difficult with etap like on the picture.
I hope they will still offer a SL version with mechanical shifting (105, Chorus,..) at a still reasonable price.

hannawald

by hannawald

Roel W wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:18 pm
hannawald wrote:
Hmmm, hopefully after 6 or 7 years after the release of previous version Canyon is capable of more than just integrated cables:)
What do you expect more?
It will be slightly lighter, slightly stiffer, (slightly?) more expensive. That's for sure.

I hope they will still offer a SL version with mechanical shifting (105, Chorus,..) at a still reasonable price.
It is not that the bike will be bad. It's just that I was having higher expectation from Canyon after such a long development time. Current generation at the time of its release was quite a modern bike - aero shapes&light, bar stem combo, integrated seatpost clamp, 32mm tyre clearance - this was ahead of time 6 years ago. With Endurace they had leaf VCLS seatpost, its gravel bike has the weird 2 storey handlebar, with Aeroad they tried but failed and it seems with Ultimate that there is nothing extraordinary...we will see but on the picture I see nothing like a signature feature...something like the hole in the seat tube new Madone has...something new. When you think all bikes are similar I was hoping Canyon would be the one who shows that there is still place for innovation. Like Madone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thirdsun

by thirdsun

hannawald wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:16 am
Roel W wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:18 pm
hannawald wrote:
What do you expect more?

It is not that the bike will be bad. It's just that I was having higher expectation from Canyon after such a long development time. Current generation at the time of its release was quite a modern bike - aero shapes&light, bar stem combo, integrated seatpost clamp, 32mm tyre clearance - this was ahead of time 6 years ago. With Endurace they had leaf VCLS seatpost, its gravel bike has the weird 2 storey handlebar, with Aeroad they tried but failed and it seems with Ultimate that there is nothing extraordinary...we will see but on the picture I see nothing like a signature feature...something like the hole in the seat tube new Madone has...something new. When you think all bikes are similar I was hoping Canyon would be the one who shows that there is still place for innovation. Like Madone.
Now that you mention it this new approach of doing nothing extraordinary and playing it safe can also be seen with their Grizl. Is this the age of conservatism at Canyon? And is their Aeroad fiasco to blame?
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2