2022/2023 Canyon ULTIMATE

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Not a fan of the sloping handles in the drop!
Also, this is a more sloping (lower angle) than the supplied 6 degree version
Canyon-Ultimate-2022-046_m.jpg
6 degree version
Canyon-Ultimate-2022-023.jpg
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

BigBoyND wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:42 am
ViperFFM wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:25 pm
Canyon is raising prices only due to being owned by a PE fund and other hardcore investors. They will get to Spec pricing sooner than later.
What? The largest shareholder is the founder and there are no "hardcore investors" involved. The PE firms are involved because their owners are passionate about cycling.
Top kek shitpost 10/10 had a good laugh

GBL has the majority since 2020 and they are just your regular PE fund that would like to scale up operations. Roman was aiming for a 1 billion Euro EV but got them "only" to 800, although a large share was depended on futures sales and profitability for the two years after signing. The Aeroad-debacle completly killed of that earn out fortunately.

Apart from GBL, some Apple dude is invested with his pe vehicle and just as of recently, LRMR ventures joined the club. This is as far off from "passionate" investors as is can be.
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Ok GBL has 50.5%, so barely majority. What Apple guy? I spoke to some senior leadership at Canyon recently and my comment above is based on how they feel the company is being steered by their biggest shareholders.

man1ac

by man1ac

Has anyone a direct comparison between the previous model and the new one?

I have an SL7 from 2021 ans equipped it with a 12x DI2 Ultegra (got it for a price I couldn't pass) and am thinking of going from SL to a SLX on the new model..
I really like the clean front style, but am interested in hearing experiences (if any can be felt) between the two models...

thirdsun

by thirdsun

man1ac wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:32 am

I have an SL7 from 2021 ans equipped it with a 12x DI2 Ultegra (got it for a price I couldn't pass) and am thinking of going from SL to a SLX on the new model..
I really like the clean front style, but am interested in hearing experiences (if any can be felt) between the two models...
I don't have a direct comparison but it's my impression that the new Ultimate is more of an evolution of an already pretty great and well-rounded bike. Since your SL 7 (you mean Ultimate, not Tarmac, right?) is already equipped with a great group set I don't see any major reason to upgrade. You'll spend a lot and gain very little. Unless you really, really want a new bike.

If it was me I'd keep riding the CF SL 7 and save that money for a later upgrade when the time seems right.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

HBike

by HBike

man1ac wrote:

The new Ultimate looks intriguing and I am deciding between building a Scott Addict RC with similar parts vs. buying the new Ultimate (would cost me almost the same). I like that I can get proprietary parts from Scott/Synchros vs. being less flexible with the Canyon. The new cockpit has some flexibility, but length is fixed and you need to buy another one if it doesn't fit, extra according to Canyon. If bar shape isn't according to ones liking, you are lost. The construction is such that the bar includes a 1 1/4" steerer tube being inserted over the 1 1/8" fork steerer (see attached image). So you can't just replace it easily with proprietary parts.
What still intrigues me is the tire clearance of the ultimate, which is generous. The Scott fits 30 (b) to 32mm (f) tires according to some users, but the ultimate is great here.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

HBike wrote:
man1ac wrote:

The new Ultimate looks intriguing and I am deciding between building a Scott Addict RC with similar parts vs. buying the new Ultimate (would cost me almost the same). I like that I can get proprietary parts from Scott/Synchros vs. being less flexible with the Canyon. The new cockpit has some flexibility, but length is fixed and you need to buy another one if it doesn't fit, extra according to Canyon. If bar shape isn't according to ones liking, you are lost. The construction is such that the bar includes a 1 1/4" steerer tube being inserted over the 1 1/8" fork steerer (see attached image). So you can't just replace it easily with proprietary parts.
What still intrigues me is the tire clearance of the ultimate, which is generous. The Scott fits 30 (b) to 32mm (f) tires according to some users, but the ultimate is great here.

You cant buy another one from canyon. Youre stuck with the default length.

HBike

by HBike

Eterna7m wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:11 am
HBike wrote:
man1ac wrote:

I heard it is possible in Germany, but if you are right and that might well be, that is even worse.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

HBike wrote:
Eterna7m wrote:
HBike wrote:
man1ac wrote:

I heard it is possible in Germany, but if you are right and that might well be, that is even worse.
I am from Germany and i was told multiple times its not possible to order it separately.
Even worse customer support at first told me like three times exchanging for a different one is possible.

C36

by C36

Eterna7m wrote: I am from Germany and i was told multiple times its not possible to order it separately.
Even worse customer support at first told me like three times exchanging for a different one is possible.
I have been told the same in Switzerland, France and Spain customer service. Each time I told them the day they don’t treat my fit like s..t to call me back.

HBike

by HBike

Eterna7m wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:37 am
HBike wrote:
Eterna7m wrote:
HBike wrote:

I am from Germany and i was told multiple times its not possible to order it separately.
Thanks. So means I am going with a Scott build then.

cberg

by cberg

As much as I like my Canyon I think the whole not being able to swap stems is really dumb. Especially smaller riders are hit by this, the small uses a 90mm stem for example. The Ultimate and certainly the Aeroad are racing bikes, and how many racers use size small frames with short stems? The new stems also seem to actually measure what Canyon say they do, unlike the old ones which were about 1 cm longer than they are listed as

spartacus

by spartacus

cberg wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:20 pm
As much as I like my Canyon I think the whole not being able to swap stems is really dumb. Especially smaller riders are hit by this, the small uses a 90mm stem for example. The Ultimate and certainly the Aeroad are racing bikes, and how many racers use size small frames with short stems? The new stems also seem to actually measure what Canyon say they do, unlike the old ones which were about 1 cm longer than they are listed as
Hahaha it's absolutely scandalous if you ask me but lots of people justify it. I've been complaining about it ever since I tried to buy an aeroad and was talked to like a child and told to live with my child sized stem and F myself by their customer support.

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

Can anyone explain how many grades of carbon do they actually have?

In my understanding:
- CFR is a top-tier build with all the bells and whistles
- CF SLX and CF SL builds share the same frame except for the wheels/components, SLX gets lighter wheels?

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

samarskyrider wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:32 am
Can anyone explain how many grades of carbon do they actually have?

In my understanding:
- CFR is a top-tier build with all the bells and whistles
- CF SLX and CF SL builds share the same frame except for the wheels/components, SLX gets lighter wheels?
CF SL frame is heavier, 846.2g vs 1062.4g (unsure if the quoted CF SL weight is referring to the internal electronic or externally routed mechanical version)

They share the same fork, cockpit and seatpost though. CFR gets a different fork and seatpost.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com