2022/2023 Canyon ULTIMATE

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

StiffWeenies wrote:
samarskyrider wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:32 am
Can anyone explain how many grades of carbon do they actually have?

In my understanding:
- CFR is a top-tier build with all the bells and whistles
- CF SLX and CF SL builds share the same frame except for the wheels/components, SLX gets lighter wheels?
CF SL frame is heavier, 846.2g vs 1062.4g (unsure if the quoted CF SL weight is referring to the internal electronic or externally routed mechanical version)

They share the same fork, cockpit and seatpost though. CFR gets a different fork and seatpost.
Thanks for the tip, good to know. They don't disclose such info on their website and most review don't help either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arpatoz

by arpatoz

(I posted this also on a relevant reddit thread)

The new Ultimate looks very clean with the new integrated cockpit, and despite the recently increased Canyon prices, it still seems to be a hard-to-beat bargain compared to competition. After studying the cockpit design though, I had two issues:
1. OEM tool to make any adjustment on the cockpit
2. Single-bolt stem design

The first is more of a practicality concern. Besides a mini toolset, the rider will now also have to carry an OEM headset tool to make any adjustments on the fly. Why wouldn't they just use a standard Allen head screw instead of that plastic cap and the tool! It's very impractical.

The second is a security concern. A handlebar's connection to the stem is the most important security point on a fast bike. I was nervously curious about the choice of the single bolt system as opposed to the classical double bolts. Then I came across this engineer's post, where he dissects the cockpit design on the Aeroad, which has the same system as the new Ultimate. He seems to have valid concerns on the absence of a mechanical preload to prevent loosening of this single bolt and what would happen if the bolt ever loosens ("both the headset comes loose AND the bars become loose on the steerer tube").

I really hope there is a good engineering (not just cosmetic) argument against these concerns. The fact that the new Ultimate recently, not only survived, but smashed a GRAVEL race gives some hope that the single-bolt system can take some beating. Until I hear a good argument though, I'd keep checking the torque on that single bolt after most rides.

man1ac

by man1ac

I have seen this above, is the new CF SL frame therefore heavier than the old frame? I found that the old one is more like 950g. So nearly +100g.
Has anyone the info on weight including the new handlebar? So it still.may be lighter compared to the old frame with the CP10 cockpit?

Edit: I found 440g for the CP0018 compared to 267g to the CP10.

So basically the fully integrated 2023 CF SL comes with nearly 300g extra?

spartacus

by spartacus

arpatoz wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:10 pm
(I posted this also on a relevant reddit thread)

The new Ultimate looks very clean with the new integrated cockpit, and despite the recently increased Canyon prices, it still seems to be a hard-to-beat bargain compared to competition. After studying the cockpit design though, I had two issues:
1. OEM tool to make any adjustment on the cockpit
2. Single-bolt stem design

The first is more of a practicality concern. Besides a mini toolset, the rider will now also have to carry an OEM headset tool to make any adjustments on the fly. Why wouldn't they just use a standard Allen head screw instead of that plastic cap and the tool! It's very impractical.

The second is a security concern. A handlebar's connection to the stem is the most important security point on a fast bike. I was nervously curious about the choice of the single bolt system as opposed to the classical double bolts. Then I came across this engineer's post, where he dissects the cockpit design on the Aeroad, which has the same system as the new Ultimate. He seems to have valid concerns on the absence of a mechanical preload to prevent loosening of this single bolt and what would happen if the bolt ever loosens ("both the headset comes loose AND the bars become loose on the steerer tube").

I really hope there is a good engineering (not just cosmetic) argument against these concerns. The fact that the new Ultimate recently, not only survived, but smashed a GRAVEL race gives some hope that the single-bolt system can take some beating. Until I hear a good argument though, I'd keep checking the torque on that single bolt after most rides.
People in the aeroad thread have had the screw snap. It's a bad design.

otnemem

by otnemem

ViperFFM wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:29 pm
BigBoyND wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:42 am
ViperFFM wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:25 pm
Canyon is raising prices only due to being owned by a PE fund and other hardcore investors. They will get to Spec pricing sooner than later.
What? The largest shareholder is the founder and there are no "hardcore investors" involved. The PE firms are involved because their owners are passionate about cycling.
Top kek shitpost 10/10 had a good laugh

GBL has the majority since 2020 and they are just your regular PE fund that would like to scale up operations. Roman was aiming for a 1 billion Euro EV but got them "only" to 800, although a large share was depended on futures sales and profitability for the two years after signing. The Aeroad-debacle completly killed of that earn out fortunately.

Apart from GBL, some Apple dude is invested with his pe vehicle and just as of recently, LRMR ventures joined the club. This is as far off from "passionate" investors as is can be.
Everyone knows how passionate about cycling Lebron is. "It is known". :noidea:

man1ac

by man1ac

Has anyone seen a set of front and rear axle without the ugly handlebar thingy?
I found "Heppe" on AliExpress and got the front axle. 2mm too long (easily cut down), but I can't find a fitting rear one...

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

man1ac wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:38 am
I found "Heppe" on AliExpress and got the front axle. 2mm too long (easily cut down), but I can't find a fitting rear one...
You mean the removable handle that looks like a quick release? You pull it off

man1ac

by man1ac

BigBoyND wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:44 am
man1ac wrote:
It's only removable on the CFR as far as I could find.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

man1ac wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:54 am

[/quote]

Are you sure? My CF SL level Speedmax came with the removable one. Just have to pull really hard to get it to come off

Besenwagen

by Besenwagen

Orderd a CFR yesterday. :lol:

Has anyone tried to install the new R9200 SW-R801 climbing shifters on a CP00018 cockpit? Can the cable be installed inside the bars or tucked neatly underneath the bar tape without feeling the wires with your hands?

Cannoli

by Cannoli

spartacus wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:22 pm

ONE person in the Aeroad thread had a problem with the headseat preload assembly. The design is fine. Hundreds more have logged thousands of miles on mixed terrain without a single issue.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

Cannoli

by Cannoli

man1ac wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:54 am
BigBoyND wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:44 am
man1ac wrote:
It's removable on the Ultimate CF SLX 8
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

Cannoli wrote:
spartacus wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:22 pm

ONE person in the Aeroad thread had a problem with the headseat preload assembly. The design is fine. Hundreds more have logged thousands of miles on mixed terrain without a single issue.
I think it’s a bad design only because canyon offer no flexibility for cockpit options with the design. It would be great if the hoods moved in at least 3cm on all sizes and the width at the drops stayed the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

Does anybody have a schedule how the brakehoses are running through the headset and frame?
I want to change my Force groupset to Ultegra of DA, and I would like to know in advance what i am going to face ;-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

edchristoph

by edchristoph

Here are the relevant pages from the Aeroad service manual (thanks to Cannoli!) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=171011&hilit=aeroad ... t#p1771774. It is the same for the new Ultimate.