“Different” new Madone (2023)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nereth

by Nereth

Sure, he might be more in-tune with his bike than most. But does that mean he likes it, or they tuned it up to his spec?

Shit no, they're not changing the design because ONE bloke wanted it stiffer. Some other bloke might have wanted it lighter. Someone in engineering wanted more impact resistance and then they dropped both stiffness AND lightness. Accounting wanted to use a lower grade carbon and marketing wanted the head tube look the same as last time to maintain continuity. They strike a tradeoff and call it a day and the bike is done.

Once that happens, Mads doesn't get to run some other bike or handlebar just because he doesn't like the one that HIS SPONSOR is trying to sell by having HIM RIDE IT. He's not paid just to win. He's paid to win specifically on the products that they are trying to sell. So he gets less say in the matter.

Absolute best case, he gets an extra layer of carbon on or off the bike because of his preference - But you know what? Then he's NOT RIDING THE SAME BIKE WE ALL ARE, so his opinion on it is no longer of any use to us.

spud

by spud

While there are measurable differences in rigidity between popular set-ups, does it actually makes a difference in whether the rider/bike is capable of winning? I used to ride arguably the most flexible bar out there, the 3T Aeronova, and it never prevented me from doing 1500 watt sprints out of the saddle in a big gear.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nereth

by Nereth

Probably not, if you're used to it. Could change your confidence/level of self doubt in a sprint though, which might be bigger than most other gains we talk about here! It's possible also that stiffer is not always better.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

As far as anecdotal evidence goes, I run this bar on my Emonda: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... m/p/32193/. If I just put my weight on the bar while standing still, especially the drops, its really amazing how much flex it has. When I first installed the bar I thought oh no this is going to feel awful. Even at 190lbs, it does not actually feel soft on the road and offers a ton of compliance while still feeling great when out of the saddle or sprinting.

As far as the Madone bar goes, I do recall one review saying that the back end of the bike was so compliant it actually made you feel the stiffness at the front more, if the opinion of a random review matters to you.
2024 Madone SLR 9 (Ultegra) - 7.5kg-ish
2021 FUEL EX 9.9 AXS - Thicc

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:34 am
I just want to know the price of the SL model with a 105/105 di2 build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... 7/p/41466/

Erwin

by Erwin

Thanks for all answers. I am also used to a Aeronova LTD (380mm hoods/400nm drops). Weigh under 200g for an aerobar and perhaps the most flexible bar. I can only sprint 1100-1200W at 67kg, but I have the new Black Inc 360/110 bar @372g on my Ostro and it is much stiffer. I like the feel a lot more. I also feel the Madone SLR 380mm handlebar quite flexy. So my questions about the new SLR cockpit...

No more frameset weights here? Perhaps this frame is anything but a weightweenie frame, so no much love in here. :D

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

The other thing which to me nullifies David Arthur's test results is he mentioned going to a wider tire was about 10w more aero, whereas TREK's own claim is the wheels are designed and optimized for a 25mm and a 28mm offers lower aero performance

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

cleanneon98 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:27 pm
The other thing which to me nullifies David Arthur's test results
How dare you besmirch David's test results! He's the industry paragon of relentless journalistic pursuit of excellence and unbiased search for truth.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

Matt28NJ wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:35 pm
cleanneon98 wrote:
How dare you besmirch David's test results! He's the industry paragon of relentless journalistic pursuit of excellence and unbiased search for truth.
I don't hate him as much as some people do, but his testing is not far off from GCN when they test bikes against each other but one has a power meter and the other doesn't and they manage to pull conclusions out of their asses. It is annoying though because aero testing is very complicated and I feel like some of these guys do it half assed just to get views. I came off an older Emonda with 50mm wheels (similar to a TCR) and to a new Madone with 50mm wheels and the difference in speed feels huge, I'd quote Strava segment data but I also know that's not reliable or definitive

Position is wildly different between bikes
IMG_0979.jpeg
Last edited by cleanneon98 on Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

killerrabbit

by killerrabbit

cleanneon98 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:11 pm
Matt28NJ wrote:
cleanneon98 wrote:
I don't hate him as much as some people do, but his testing is not far off from GCN when they test bikes against each other but one has a power meter and the other doesn't and they manage to pull conclusions out of their asses. It is annoying though because aero testing is very complicated and I feel like some of these guys do it half assed just to get views. I came off an older Emonda with 50mm wheels (similar to a TCR) and to a new Madone with 50mm wheels and the difference in speed feels huge, I'd quote Strava segment data but I also know that's not reliable or definitive
I'm curious, did you have similar width bars on both?

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

killerrabbit wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:20 pm
cleanneon98 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:11 pm
Matt28NJ wrote:
cleanneon98 wrote:
I'm curious, did you have similar width bars on both?
I did not, the Emonda ran 42cm bars. However I always made an effort to bend my arms and wrists inwards on that bike to replicate a narrower bar position. Probably not the same, but I'm not sure if DA ran identical sized bars either (unlikely)

wozzo

by wozzo

Need an advice. Just returned my aeroad. Had a good deal on it (from outlet) which I though would cover the fact that I didn't like the colour, but nope. I couldn't look at it and couldn't justify the price. Been to the local trek shop and they got new gen sl6 on 105 in stock. I really like the look of it, but I am not sure if it's worth it since with canyon(same price) I had Ultegra + DTswiss deep dish wheels. Is it much (in terms of speed etc.) Am loosing going with madone?

I am not racing. Just group/solo rides 100km a week. But I like it fast.

Another option I can afford is Propel Advanced Pro0.

What you think?

Thanks

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

I went SL7 for the Ultegra and wider wheels but the bike is amazing, super fast and supremely comfortable. I did add an SLR bar to mine too. Would highly highly recommend the new Madone based on the performance, and it has a very unique look which you love or hate. It's not the lightest out there but in the real world 99.9% of us aren't going to notice even a few pounds of weight difference, let alone a few hundred grams
IMG_1350.jpeg
IMG_1427.jpeg
IMG_1431.jpeg

wozzo

by wozzo

cleanneon98 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:40 am
I went SL7 for the Ultegra and wider wheels but the bike is amazing, super fast and supremely comfortable. I did add an SLR bar to mine too. Would highly highly recommend the new Madone based on the performance, and it has a very unique look which you love or hate. It's not the lightest out there but in the real world 99.9% of us aren't going to notice even a few pounds of weight difference, let alone a few hundred grams
That build you have is a perfect combination, but I decided to not go over 7k$, as I am not racing etc. I just want to make sure I am not loosing many watts on the speedy solo rides. The wheels on the sl6 are throwing me off

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:54 am
Noctiluxx wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:07 am

Most likely. I was told by multiple Trek dealers less than 5% of the previous generation Madone's were sold in the H1 form hence why they dropped it and met in the middle with the H-1.5

Between 2017 and 2019 the LBS I bought my H1 Emonda SLR at sold one other H1 bike...
So weird how cyclists think only pros can ride in an aero position while everyone who gets into yoga tries to do positions that require flexibility and most accomplish it. I think it's a mental block riders have and they pigeon hole themselves into these upright positions they think are comfortable while their legs feel tired.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com