“Different” new Madone (2023)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Just on Road.cc, the new Trek Madone (does this belong here if it's not a rumor?) Very intriguing, they broken the mould again with regard to frame design. Pair this up with the Cervelo S5 cockpit and air flow will literally flow through the entire bike undisturbed ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Does Trek finally get rid of ISO Speed from Madone? Personally find it far much ugilier than likes of Lapierre Xelius, but if somebody offers a tail light or a tail bag to fill the hole, it may be okay. I just hope the smaller sizes (50 or 52) will have a similar look (e.g. no sloping tube).

NotYou

by NotYou

Got to hand it to Trek, at the very least it looks interesting. Looking forward to the marketing though, so as to learn what the purpose of the hole is supposed to be. At a glance, I wouldn't think this to be much more aero then a regular frame nor should it be much lighter (provided a similar short seatpost is used) if any lighter at all.

C36

by C36

Interested to see it in person next Sunday during last stage. Curious if the UCI relaxed some rules to allow the seat tube to be completely split in two.

Few post above I mentioned the late 90s-2000s with design variety and the c4 joker. The Madone still look like a brick compared to the C4 but I appreciate the fresh design.

The cockpit looks slick, curious to see if they did something regarding adjustability.

MatosVelo

by MatosVelo

New Trek Madone seen this morning at Criterium du Dauphiné.

All details on my website : https://www.matosvelo.fr/index.php?post ... phine-2022
Last edited by MatosVelo on Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

MatosVelo wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:05 pm
All details on my website : https://www.matosvelo.fr/index.php?post ... phine-2022
Seems like we can finally rotate the steerer fully. The stem might be a bit much too Venge/SL7-ish, but still a very good move.

LRB23

by LRB23

MatosVelo wrote:New Trek Domane seen this morning at Criterium du Dauphiné.

That’s the Madone… assuming it was a typo???

Not a fan of this version on initial inspection. The ISO Speed was so good and class leading in terms of aero bike comfort compared to competitors. It’s just a shame it weighed a lot.

Interesting to see how this design fairs… I can’t get my head around the design… surely an area for intense stress fractures on the carbon, countered by thicker layup, which would inevitably reduce compliance… ???

Still interested to know now but really not a fan of the looks of that cut out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robius

by Robius

That seat tube area must be pretty thick.
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

spartan

by spartan

trek still does not stress the details. new aero frameset with mid range depth wheels and non integrated thru axles. they lose 2-5 watts. fugly . i do like a return to normal size TREK logo and the lighter integrated bar stem. i am guessing 250gm weight loss vs current gen madone. good but not great.

the split seatube is too be more compliant to dropped seatstays but eliminate the aero penalty of traditional stays. mehhh
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

What is the collective thinking on this new design? Personally, I’ll reserve judgment until I see one in person.

More pictures can be found here

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/radic ... ine-293363

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spokenwords

by spokenwords

Interesting. Although all these funky shapes designed to help ride quality is absolutely laughable to me (it is carbon fiber afterall) I can get behind some good aero shapes. Im interested to see/hear what this seat tube actually accomplishes other than rubbing calf muscles.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Love the front, hate the back...
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

Usernamealex

by Usernamealex

I respect the originality. It reminds me of the LaPierre.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

RDY wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:17 pm
Looks like a bike designed by the marketing department.

Obviously they wanted to get rid of the weight, expense and potential reliability issues of the ISO Speed decoupler, but retain 'compliance' marketing wins. This is the result.

From an aero perspective it's laughable. And dropped seatstays and a conventional seatpost with slightly more flex / less stiffness would achieve the same 'compliance' result with better aero. But marketing.

Also it's a bit difficult to tell from the photos, but tire clearance does appear to be EXTREMELY tight at the rear on what probably looks like 25s (no doubt blown out to ~28). As I recall, 30s (blown out wider) aren't a problem on the current Madone?
That is a lot of reflexive negativity! It's an innovative design. Whether it's aero - we will see when Tour tests it. Re compliance - I would bet this is better than a conventional aero sestpost and will be less prone to issues than Canyon's seatpost design.

Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder. I personally welcome something that looks rather different from other frames.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Yet another WW habit to have multiple threads to discuss about the same topic at once? :noidea: (Don't get me wrong, new Madone would definitely derserve a new thread, but ideally it should be split from the existing thread. We lack any mods to do such, after all).

The cockpit and the steering system seem to be drastically improved anyway. I had no idea how to travel with the current Madone/Emonda because of the steerer stoppers.
Last edited by Cemicar on Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com