Real world Classified powershift experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dov

by Dov

Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

chrisw91

by chrisw91

It seems like we might get some more insight into top level performance for the Classified system this weekend:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/victor ... g-weekend/

62T is a baller move on those roads though :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

chrisw91 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:21 pm
It seems like we might get some more insight into top level performance for the Classified system this weekend:

"The Classified Powershift offers two-speed hub gearing in a 1:1 and 1:0.686 ratio, meaning Campenaerts is effectively running a 62/42.5 double setup" - besides, campa may even be using some specific conversion ratio.

RDY

by RDY

chrisw91 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:21 pm

Setup only really makes any sense for breakaways and huge solo efforts. He clearly doesn't care about weight or inertia. Also, this is rubbish:

"While it may change on race day, it's understood Campenaerts will run a 32mm rear and 30mm front setup. If you want a safe bet you'd put your money on that being the widest in the peloton when the flag drops."

Pretty sure 30 front, 32 rear will be very common for the bulk of the classics. It makes little sense to go smaller than that if the road surfaces are 'challenging' and you're not very light.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I would try it, but would prefer a lower then .7 ratio... maybe .6 ish. I would stick it on the gravel bike and run a 50t ring in the front.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Lina

by Lina

The big chainring is to optimize straight chainline for the speeds he's doing most often. He's never expecting to be on a 62x11 in the entire race most likely. But he's using it so he can be on the middle of the cassette most of the time. It's the same as the big boy rings in TT bikes, they're not there so you have higher top speed, they're for more efficiency at the speeds you're doing most of the time.

blaugrana

by blaugrana

Also a bigger chainring is more efficient for the same ratio, which is why on track bikes they use massive chainrings and never 11T cogs (and chainline isn't an issue there).

pmprego

by pmprego

Campanerts did the same last year but without the classified hub of course.

He actually said that his plan was to attack on some descend as no one would be able to match his speed going down.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

pmprego wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:41 am
He actually said that his plan was to attack on some descend as no one would be able to match his speed going down.
And it did work to some point. I think it was MvdP who said afterwards, that he knew what Campenaerts was going to try and that he couldn't follow him as he didn't have gears fast enough.

robeambro

by robeambro

I suppose Classified gives you an advantage in these situations (i.e. huge chainrings), since the 1:0.686 ratio gives him a virtual 20-tooth gap (virtual 62-42ish), which would be substantially more than any 2x setup could offer. Whether the drivetrain efficiency losses can be more than offset by straighter chainline / larger chainring / better aerodynamics in a tangible way, I don't know.

Lina

by Lina

robeambro wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:21 am
I suppose Classified gives you an advantage in these situations (i.e. huge chainrings), since the 1:0.686 ratio gives him a virtual 20-tooth gap (virtual 62-42ish), which would be substantially more than any 2x setup could offer. Whether the drivetrain efficiency losses can be more than offset by straighter chainline / larger chainring / better aerodynamics in a tangible way, I don't know.
The 1:1 ratio is with a locked out hub, there won't be any extra losses when he's not on the virtual 42t. And on a classics race the time you spend on the virtual 42t is minimal.

robeambro

by robeambro

Lina wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:31 am
robeambro wrote:
The 1:1 ratio is with a locked out hub, there won't be any extra losses when he's not on the virtual 42t. And on a classics race the time you spend on the virtual 42t is minimal.
Minimal but may well be those key moments that make or break the race. I appreciate that saving, say a handful of watts over the remainder of the race (the dull moments where nobody is attacking and those in the peloton are chilling) may sound great, but I'm not entirely sure that physiologically it makes much of a difference for a pro to save those watts if it means they're at 60% rather 61% of their critical power.. Of course if Campenaerts breaks away then everything changes, every watt saved counts when you're doing those higher intensitiy efforts.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

I am very seriously considering this for the next bike set up. Enve or DT Swiss wheels, with the Classified powershift hub + SRAM or Di2 1x up front with a normal 52 tooth chainring. Side note: as much as I am a fan of Shimano shifting, SRAM vs Shimano stops to matter once you get rid of the FD, and SRAM's pure wireless set up makes more sense if you are only using one derailleur. Willing to loose out by 200g on weight and will spend the extra money, but need third party efficiency validation before moving forward.

When is someone going to step up to do a test of this thing??? Is it really too much to ask?

Lina

by Lina

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:47 pm
I am very seriously considering this for the next bike set up. Enve or DT Swiss wheels, with the Classified powershift hub + SRAM or Di2 1x up front with a normal 52 tooth chainring. Side note: as much as I am a fan of Shimano shifting, SRAM vs Shimano stops to matter once you get rid of the FD, and SRAM's pure wireless set up makes more sense if you are only using one derailleur. Willing to loose out by 200g on weight and will spend the extra money, but need third party efficiency validation before moving forward.

When is someone going to step up to do a test of this thing??? Is it really too much to ask?
As of now I think it's possible to integrate it with Di2 but not with SRAM shifters. So that is a definite bonus for Shimano with the hub.

I have to say I'm also really considering it for my next bike.

joejack951

by joejack951

robeambro wrote:
I suppose Classified gives you an advantage in these situations (i.e. huge chainrings), since the 1:0.686 ratio gives him a virtual 20-tooth gap (virtual 62-42ish), which would be substantially more than any 2x setup could offer.
While a 20T gap sounds impressive, the ratio is really what matters. A 1:0.686 ratio works out to be exactly the same as what is offered by a 52/36 or 50/34 crankset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com