New garmin product 1040edge, 840, 540

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

RDY wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:17 am
They couldn't continue to operate without some kind of firmware development capability. But it is possible they were all laid off ... they might have chosen to outsource it all. Which, frankly, could only improve things. The Bolt V2 has been an absolute shitshow.
They are hideously overstretched due to Covid. Masses of excess stock but massively reduced demand.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

It's interesting Strava live segments are more precise while the Climbpro gradients are less so. I am sure there's a technical explanation for that.

Having said that, I love ClimbPro despite its shortcomings. I can see where the top of the climb with my own eyes so it's not a big deal honestly. It's usually off by 20-30ft.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calicyclist

by calicyclist

RDY wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:45 pm
Wahoo gradient lag (everything lag) is much worse in my experience. Though it's still not good on Garmin - just less shit than Wahoo and Karoo 2.
It's so interesting how everyone's experiences differ so much. I've had great results with gradient lag on multiple versions of Wahoo computers. And that seems to be the main comparison everyone in the Garmin forums are making when comparing the Garmin to other units. Well, that and the original 1030 which people still say kicks the 1040s ass from a lag perspective.

And even in DCRainmaker's article, he indicates he's been testing all three of these (Wahoo, Garmin, Karoo) and sees all of them become more and less acurate over time. It's just hard to ignore the shouting mob that is on the Garmin forums.
Argonaut RM3 | Pivot Trail 429

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

RDY wrote:They couldn't continue to operate without some kind of firmware development capability. But it is possible they were all laid off ... they might have chosen to outsource it all. Which, frankly, could only improve things. The Bolt V2 has been an absolute shitshow.
In what way? Mine has and continues to work flawlessly

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Never cheer before you know who is winning

usr

by usr

DCcyclist wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:48 pm
It's interesting Strava live segments are more precise while the Climbpro gradients are less so. I am sure there's a technical explanation for that.

Having said that, I love ClimbPro despite its shortcomings. I can see where the top of the climb with my own eyes so it's not a big deal honestly. It's usually off by 20-30ft.
Climbpro is based on whatever the elevation model of the tool that was used to build the route claims about the profile. Many (most?) route builders simply use an elevation grid where the interpolated virtual slopes between grid points only roughly coincide with the actual elevation of points along the road.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

RDY wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:17 am
They couldn't continue to operate without some kind of firmware development capability. But it is possible they were all laid off ... they might have chosen to outsource it all. Which, frankly, could only improve things. The Bolt V2 has been an absolute shitshow.
I remember the early days when I got my Garmin 520 - that took AGES to get right.

Now if Garmin had a better interface like Wahoo, they'd stop a lot of the competition dead. But they haven't.....

pushpush

by pushpush

The Garmin UX/UI is an embarassment. Yes, many of us learn it and get used to it and figure it out, but there is no reason for it to be as obtuse as it is. They did take some steps forward with the 1040 redesign but it still leaves a lot to be desired. This is one area where the competition are running circles around garmin. Part of it is that Garmin has been slow to evolve. The other is that consumer expectations have evolved very quickly along with our smartphones. Garmin simply hasn't kept pace and it shows. I appreciate the improved power management and better GPS chipset and a variety of other improvements but using a $700 bike computer in 2023 shouldnt feel like navigating a piece of industrial control equipment from 2005.

Wahoo and Hammerhead have their own shortcomings for sure, but they understand how using a device should feel.

nickf

by nickf

I like how it feels like navigating a piece of industrial control equipment from 2005. There is no fluff and not too many options. Enough to get the job done. My big gripe before was not being able to load a course file without having a computer. But can now do that on my phone by going to Garmin connect in the web browser, uploading a course, and syncing it to the device, course shows up in a few seconds. I think the only want I have at this point is when you are deep into the menu setting or setting up an activity profile, is a one-button solution to get back to the main screen without having to back out of each layer of the menu that you went through to get there.

calicyclist

by calicyclist

Well one good piece of news is that I just double checked and forum users are saying that gradient lag HAS actually been substantially improved in the most recent official update. I'll probably bit the bullet and get a 1040 given how Wahoo seems to be falling apart. Guess I can return it if screen intuitiveness is as sucky as these last few posts indicate. I just want something with the same functionality as the ROAM pretty much but with better mapping and nicer screen.

I can just set a page with the data fields I want on it and keep it on that right? Or does it restrict that in some way?
Argonaut RM3 | Pivot Trail 429

usr

by usr

pushpush wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:01 am
The Garmin UX/UI is an embarassment. Yes, many of us learn it and get used to it and figure it out, but there is no reason for it to be as obtuse as it is. They did take some steps forward with the 1040 redesign but it still leaves a lot to be desired. This is one area where the competition are running circles around garmin. Part of it is that Garmin has been slow to evolve. The other is that consumer expectations have evolved very quickly along with our smartphones. Garmin simply hasn't kept pace and it shows. I appreciate the improved power management and better GPS chipset and a variety of other improvements but using a $700 bike computer in 2023 shouldnt feel like navigating a piece of industrial control equipment from 2005.

Wahoo and Hammerhead have their own shortcomings for sure, but they understand how using a device should feel.
Wahoo and Hammerhead are standing on the shoulders of a giant, that gives them a nice and easy path to UI fidelity where they basically plug together some prefabs, but also massive trouble when the giant does not happen to walk in a direction that is convenient for them. Garmin has to do much of the walking on their own and they have to build their UI from the software equivalent of raw materials, but they are their own boss when it comes to walking direction. When you get a Garmin to do what you want (which seriously is not *that* hard, it's not as if we were hooking up serial terminals to change configuration or anything like that) it does what it's supposed to do at absolutely unmatched efficiency. The much shorter runtime of a Bolt for example requires a battery almost the size of that in a 1040.

usr

by usr

nickf wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:00 pm
I think the only want I have at this point is when you are deep into the menu setting or setting up an activity profile, is a one-button solution to get back to the main screen without having to back out of each layer of the menu that you went through to get there.
Yeah, that's quite a nuisance, in particular for stuff that is configured per profile (which seems to be the the main source of confusion but it's totally worth it, might be worthwhile for Garmin to add some "configure x in active profile" shortcuts top the menu structure). But at at least the "back to main" is solved if you have some form of remote (e.g. high end Di2), the direct-to-screen buttons serve as a convenient exit from deep menus.

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

Leak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottydonald

by scottydonald

samarskyrider wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:17 pm
Leak?

they have the 540 and the 840 solar.

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

scottydonald wrote:
samarskyrider wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:17 pm
Leak?

they have the 540 and the 840 solar.
It has not been released yet Image

njleach

by njleach

840solar
840solar
Garmin Edge 840 Solar Features
- Advanced GPS cycling computer with touchscreen and button control combines superior navigation, planning and performance tracking, cycling awareness and smart connectivity

- Battery life: in demanding use cases, get up to 26 hours or up to 32 hours with solar charging in direct sunlight (75,000 lux); in battery saver mode, get up to 42 hours or up to 60 hours with solar charging in direct sunlight (75,000 lux); during daytime rides, solar adds up to 25 minutes per hour in battery saver mode

- View daily suggested workouts and training prompts on screen; based on your event, get personalized coaching that adapts to your current training load and recovery when riding with a compatible power meter and heart rate monitor

- Find your way in the most challenging environments with multi-band GNSS technology that provides enhanced positioning accuracy

- See remaining ascent and grade when climbing so you can gauge your effort with the ClimbPro ascent planner, now available on every ride - no course required; view on your Edge device and in the Garmin Connect app on your smartphone for ride planning

- Classify your strengths as a cyclist, and compare your cycling ability to the demands of a specific course, so you can focus your training and improvement in the right areas, when paired with your compatible power meter and heart rate monitor

- Manage your efforts with the power guide feature, which recommends power targets throughout a course, when paired with your compatible power meter

- Get stamina insights while you ride, so you can keep an eye on how much longer you can really push it, when paired with your compatible power meter and heart rate monitor

- Stay on top of your training program with prompts to complete missed workouts

- Ride like a local, whatever your bike type, with improved ride type-specific maps that highlight popular roads and trails plus searchable points of interest

- Simplified setup and a streamlined interface make it quick and easy to access the information, courses and tools you need and even adjust data fields right from the Edge device or from your paired smartphone

- Through the Garmin Connect app on your smartphone, pair with your favorite apps and platforms, including Strava, Komoot, TrainingPeaks and many more

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com