New garmin product 1040edge, 840, 540

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

usr

by usr

Spinnekop wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:23 pm
jayjay wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:47 am
I hate that virtual partner and would love to deactivate it as well
I don't have virtual partner on my 1040 or my 840.
Not that I know off.............Does in mean I disabled it at some time? :noidea: :lol:
Probably means that when you plan a course for navigation you happen to use a tool that doesn't write any speed/time predictions.

Either that, or its just a harmless misunderstanding with you taking about that separate full screen virtual partner page (does that even exist on current devices?) and consider its absence "no virtual partner", while everybody else is talking not about that page but about the little cameo of virtual partner on profile and map pages (and in the silly jingle that comes from the speakers at the end, if you don't run silent)

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

usr wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:14 pm
Eterna7m wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:40 am
Having used the 530 and 1040 now for a while I think it’s mad that you cannot deactivate virtual partner (that sometimes confuses me when I check the map) or that you cannot put colored background or something similar for the data fields.
I'd guess that colored backgrounds and the like are something Garmin considers done with ConnectIQ.

Not sure that I agree, in particular because of the compatibility approach taken (all burden on field makers,, and they can only start serving new devices on release day), but it's... possible.

I never used it myself, but the HMs field should do it quite nicely. (I do use a few completely homegrown data fields, and one of them I called HHMMss when I made it: apparently the creator of HMs was scratching the very same itch when he started)

Virtual partner... yeah that's crazy. Almost makes me want to do a pull request on gexporter that removes all timestamps (or changes them to instant finish or eternally slow)
Sorry but what do you mean, I don't know what HMS are.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

usr

by usr

HMs is the name of the (I think?) most popular "create your own custom cIQ field without programming" tool in ConnectIQ shop.

I assume that the name derives from "hours and minutes in a big font, seconds in a smaller font" and that this was the original problem the cIQ field was trying to solve. But it has grown far beyond that simple problem. Very much unlike my own approach (unpublished).

Now that I write about it I remember that mine is actually hhMMSS (small h, big S), because I wanted the hours smaller to make room for big minutes and seconds - the original clock field skips the seconds entirely when in a small layout, but I want to see them, for when I'm in a fast rotation paceline. The rationale was that seconds are something I want to see at a glance whenever I want to see them, but when I need to know the general time of day I usually have time for a closer look. Mine was fine with programming, compiling and so on, but HMs (the one in the shop that can do colors and all kinds of stuff) could probably do the same with nothing but a bit of configuration.

ODC

by ODC

Besides the solar panel, internal memory and maps is there any difference between the 1040 and 1040 solar?
On the internet I have been reading that the 1040 solar has a less good screen due the solar?

lukaszzsch

by lukaszzsch

It’s darker because of having solar layer but users inform no influence on visibility in Daiki usage. Memory is the same AFAIK

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I just ordered the 840 non solar and coming from the 530 which I thought was great for what I needed. I am going to trickle down the 530 to my wife as her 520 gives her grief on battery life and syncing with the radar and as far as I am concerned the 530 is way better than her 520. My 530 is relatively new as it was replaced by Garmin with having some glitches happening with gps and shutting down mid ride but the new one has had no issues thus far.
After reading Rainmakers report on the 40 series and not to many deals on the 30 at this point I thought I would go with the 840 as it has the buttons and touch but also the review says the 540 is slow and glitchy with buttons when going from some screens to others. He actually recommended the 840 over the 540 at this point in time. I would assume going from the 530 to the 840 should be an improvement although I thought the 530 was pretty good.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

abLEmiaB

by abLEmiaB

I got an 840 solar last week. I didn't need the solar but here there are deals on solar but not non-solar. The price difference is about 5% so I went with the more expensive. So far it's great compared to my previous 520. A massive improvement.

calleking

by calleking

Anyone coming from an older Element Bolt V1 and can shed some light on the readability of the 840/1040?

I'm on a 1030 and can't say the readability is that great in sunlight even with the brightness cranked up. Unit is also slow and stutters when swiping between data screens. Delay when pressing buttons. Not a great experience.

Have they changed anything regarding the screen in the latest version? My old Bolt is still incredible in terms of readability but lacks in other areas. Karoo 2 was a disappointment.
2023 Wilier Rave SLR
2022 Wilier Filante SLR
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

guyc

by guyc

I've been using the 1040 in very bright sunlight and the legibility is excellent. Absolutely zero issues.

alanyu

by alanyu

calleking wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:38 am
Anyone coming from an older Element Bolt V1 and can shed some light on the readability of the 840/1040?

I'm on a 1030 and can't say the readability is that great in sunlight even with the brightness cranked up. Unit is also slow and stutters when swiping between data screens. Delay when pressing buttons. Not a great experience.

Have they changed anything regarding the screen in the latest version? My old Bolt is still incredible in terms of readability but lacks in other areas. Karoo 2 was a disappointment.
1030 uses the old generation hardware while X30/1030P/X40/1040 have a huge upgrade. The screen is brighter and CPU is much faster. I would suggest 1040/840 non-solor version if you want a good brightness and clearity.

guyc

by guyc

I also have to say that the speed with which the 1040 acquires GPS and sensors is crazy fast

calleking

by calleking

Thank you! Now I just have to figure if the 840 is easier to operate during winter months with buttons as I have mechanical shifting on my winter bike and can't change screens with the hoods. The screen size of the 1040 does seem better overall.

Question: can you somehow user your phone, pick a spot on a map and send the route to Garmin? Wahoo has this function and it's super easy to create a route to a specific spot on the fly. Since it's based on using your phone you can easily search for streets, toggle satellite mode on/off and it is generally easier to do it this way compared to doing it on the headunit itself.
2023 Wilier Rave SLR
2022 Wilier Filante SLR
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

njleach

by njleach

calleking wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:45 am
Thank you! Now I just have to figure if the 840 is easier to operate during winter months with buttons as I have mechanical shifting on my winter bike and can't change screens with the hoods. The screen size of the 1040 does seem better overall.

Question: can you somehow user your phone, pick a spot on a map and send the route to Garmin? Wahoo has this function and it's super easy to create a route to a specific spot on the fly. Since it's based on using your phone you can easily search for streets, toggle satellite mode on/off and it is generally easier to do it this way compared to doing it on the headunit itself.
With the 840 you have full street / POI / etc... searching right on the device. Alternatively, you can just select a spot on the map by touching it on the screen and then just click 'start' to navigate straight there - no phone required!

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

Maybe read his question again. Can it be done on the phone? He prefer that over doing it on the head unit.

njleach

by njleach

Yes, you can transfer a course from phone to head unit

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com