New garmin product 1040edge, 840, 540

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Juanmoretime wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:15 pm
robeambro wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:57 pm
Hi all, a stupid question.. Do solar-powered units last longer? I mean in terms of lifecycle. I'm in the market for a new head unit after my 6 year old Bolt v1 is seeing its battery life get way too low, and i intend to keep its replacement for as long as possible.
Not sure if the solar lasts longer. A six year old computer is way behind in technology. I did just replace my 4 year old Garmin 530 with a 540 Edge. Didn't do solar since the benefit is almost non-existant. If it takes Garmin 4 to 5 years to come out with the 550 and its revolutionary verses evoltionary I'm in!
Lifecycle no... I got a screaming deal on a 1040 solar so I took it, but on a really sunny day the solar adds some significant time as someone doing a double century might appreciate (that aint me) Ive seen 50-60min added to 3 hour rides... that is pretty good, I rarely charge the thing.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Not that anyone uses the heads up display [Varia Vision] but my understanding, the 840 does not support it. My 840 has not showed up yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

Butcher wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:35 pm
Not that anyone uses the heads up display [Varia Vision] but my understanding, the 840 does not support it. My 840 has not showed up yet.
I wish they'd continued to develop Varia Vision. The concept itself is good, although the first iteration of the product wasn't very good.

alanyu

by alanyu

When most people are happy with the new font on x40, I presonally prefer the one on x30.

The larger font size is welcomed, but it is some how too fat, as the head unit itself is already too fat. The words just looks so boated in the table. I prefer if they can reduce the font width by 10% but keep the height, and also, I don't like full capitial characters.
IMG_20230610_204904.jpg

Yoln

by Yoln

My 840 is very very slow to scroll between activity screens during a ride. Especially the elevation / ClimbPro screen, we're talking almost 3secs after pushing the button, it's very annoying. Am I the only one having that issue?
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

alanyu

by alanyu

Yoln wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:27 pm
My 840 is very very slow to scroll between activity screens during a ride. Especially the elevation / ClimbPro screen, we're talking almost 3secs after pushing the button, it's very annoying. Am I the only one having that issue?
That's a bug of 9.29, mentioned by a thread in Garmin forum.

Yoln

by Yoln

alanyu wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:35 pm
Yoln wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:27 pm
That's a bug of 9.29, mentioned by a thread in Garmin forum.
Thanks, I'll update the software then
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

njleach

by njleach

Moved from the 830 to 840 Solar.

Things I like:
- GPS locks instantly at the start of a ride, even if i haven't ridden in a couple of days
- The real-time ClimbPro is a really useful feature
- Battery life is significantly improved over the 830
- I like the combination of buttons and touchscreen - I find I'm not touching the screen anywhere near as much and as a result the screen stays cleaner for longer

Things I don't like:
- The solar doesn't seem to be adding much - sometimes on a 3-4hr ride I might get an extra 12-15mins of battery life (I guess on the 1040 where you have more solar panels the difference is significant)
- I wish they would improve the map / nav screen or at least give us an option that was more like the Wahoo Roam map in terms of UI, or allow us to customise it to our liking

Overall very pleased with the upgrade

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

my friend has 540 solar.. we always compare and he is 1-2 minutes off my added time pretty consistent. My shadow often blocks my head unit as well.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

guyc

by guyc

I seem to have a random auto-lap feature on my 1040 that isn't anything I've set up. Does it every 10 miles with a graphic of a road. Any ideas how to stop it? It changes the elapsed time of a ride to the lap time and is annoying.

I've tried setting auto-lap to 250 miles so I won't hit it but it's still occurring. Other than that I cannot fault this unit at all and the battery life (non-solar) is insane.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Having used the 530 and 1040 now for a while I think it’s mad that you cannot deactivate virtual partner (that sometimes confuses me when I check the map) or that you cannot put colored background or something similar for the data fields.

Also , there’s always a discrepancy when comparing the current gradient on a regular data field with the one that is displayed on the map dashboard connect Iq data field. that one also has decimals, which is great.

jayjay

by jayjay

I hate that virtual partner and would love to deactivate it as well

usr

by usr

Eterna7m wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:40 am
Having used the 530 and 1040 now for a while I think it’s mad that you cannot deactivate virtual partner (that sometimes confuses me when I check the map) or that you cannot put colored background or something similar for the data fields.
I'd guess that colored backgrounds and the like are something Garmin considers done with ConnectIQ.

Not sure that I agree, in particular because of the compatibility approach taken (all burden on field makers,, and they can only start serving new devices on release day), but it's... possible.

I never used it myself, but the HMs field should do it quite nicely. (I do use a few completely homegrown data fields, and one of them I called HHMMss when I made it: apparently the creator of HMs was scratching the very same itch when he started)

Virtual partner... yeah that's crazy. Almost makes me want to do a pull request on gexporter that removes all timestamps (or changes them to instant finish or eternally slow)

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I need to play with the screen settings. On the climbapro I would like and or hate to display my heartrate. I think it's doable and once I get a little trime I'll find out.

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

jayjay wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:47 am
I hate that virtual partner and would love to deactivate it as well
I don't have virtual partner on my 1040 or my 840.
Not that I know off.............Does in mean I disabled it at some time? :noidea: :lol:
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com