New garmin product 1040edge, 840, 540

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nickf

by nickf

pushpush wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:30 am
Bigger concern is whether or not Garmin managed to fix the crazy amount of bugs that existed in the 1040. It was unbelievable. I gave up playing bug roulette with their beta releases and sent my 1040 back to Garmin. Returned to using the 830 because it is rocksolid reliable despite the somewhat dated tech inside it. I'm intrigued by an 840, but not unless they have stable reliable software.

The garmin forums have been one thing after another since the 1040 release.
I have been using a 1040 soon after it was released. With the last couple of updates things have improved. Day to day use I have zero issues or weird anomalies. Data calculation and map routing speeds are lightning fast compared to my 1030. The 1030 is now on mountain bike duties. Mine is a non solar 1040 and battery life is simply terrific. I might charge it every 3-4 weeks, usually around 10 hour training weeks.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

nickf wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:25 pm
pushpush wrote:
Bigger concern is whether or not Garmin managed to fix the crazy amount of bugs that existed in the 1040. It was unbelievable. I gave up playing bug roulette with their beta releases and sent my 1040 back to Garmin. Returned to using the 830 because it is rocksolid reliable despite the somewhat dated tech inside it. I'm intrigued by an 840, but not unless they have stable reliable software.

The garmin forums have been one thing after another since the 1040 release.
I have been using a 1040 soon after it was released. With the last couple of updates things have improved. Day to day use I have zero issues or weird anomalies. Data calculation and map routing speeds are lightning fast compared to my 1030. The 1030 is now on mountain bike duties. Mine is a non solar 1040 and battery life is simply terrific. I might charge it every 3-4 weeks, usually around 10 hour training weeks.
Been using my 1040 since last summer and love it. Battey life, training features, GPS are all great. I go to 4-5 hour rides and the battery is only down 10%. Map calculation is lightning fast. I ride mostly on the roads and don't need constant recalculations or anything but it's super nice. I pair it with Varia and I highly recommend it.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I recently picked up the 1040Solar... amazing unit. Had to 1030 since release... the 1040 is a step up.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

mlosco

by mlosco

FWIW, a few weeks ago I picked up a 1040, which has been working perfectly so far. By comparison, the 830 that it replaced would frequently suffer dropouts of all sensors.

alanyu

by alanyu

mlosco wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:30 pm
FWIW, a few weeks ago I picked up a 1040, which has been working perfectly so far. By comparison, the 830 that it replaced would frequently suffer dropouts of all sensors.
Did they fix the super laggy and inaccurate gradient on 1040?

My 830 was fine when I bought it at the first release. However, after the firmware updated to 3.5 or 4.8, the gradient became almost useless. 10-30 sec lag vs. 5-10 sec, and the gradient is mostly 1-2% lower than the actual value after stabilization on a climb. However, Garmin pretend that's normal and never look into it.

jayjay

by jayjay

pushpush wrote:
Bigger concern is whether or not Garmin managed to fix the crazy amount of bugs that existed in the 1040. It was unbelievable. I gave up playing bug roulette with their beta releases and sent my 1040 back to Garmin.
What bugs?
My 1040 works without any problems.

polpy

by polpy

1040 solar since november and so far it works without fault. Very happy with it!

kervelo

by kervelo

alanyu wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:14 pm
My 830 was fine when I bought it at the first release. However, after the firmware updated to 3.5 or 4.8, the gradient became almost useless...
That is the way it always goes with Garmin products. Garmin has nice product ideas and even their hardware is often well made. The software is the problem. The x30 series computers still have software issues, years after the original release. I remember when I first time tried to use the 530 mapping functionality during my ride and the computer just kept rebooting after some kms. :D Luckily I never need to use the mapping anyway. However, with issues like that you can never fully trust the Garmin products.

ODC

by ODC

I can’t choose between the 3 big bike computers: Garmin 1040 solar, Wahoo roam V2 and Hammerhead karoo 2.
The reason i’m planning to buy one of these 3 is that i want a big screen so I can look at navigation and data information (speed, heart rate, cadans and power) at the same time.

Why I can’t choose:
- Garmin 1040 solar => best battery life (although I don’t do longer rides then +-6 hours), like the metallic quarter turn, di2 integration (don’t use it a lot in the past but it’s a nice feature), beautiful screen, beautiful looks (personal taste) and a lot of features that I never gonna use. The garmin connect app is good but i find it less good then the wahoo app. The garmin 1040 solar is now +-9 months old so the problems with the first generation devices will be resolved (if there where any problems already).
- Wahoo roam V2 => although is was slower than my original Roam V1 i liked to use the Bolt V2 but the screen was to small for me. Buttons mean no problem to ride in the rain or use the computer on a smart trainer session. Companion app is easy to use although you always need your smartphone when you want to use something or want to navigate to somewhere. Otherwise I don’t think it’s a big change, apart from the bigger screen, comparing it to a bolt V2. Most recent device off the three. Less chance that a new device will come out but maybe there are problems?
- Hammerhead karoo 2: most beautiful screen off the 3 devices but not the best battery life (but i would be good with my 5 á 6 hours), although is doesn’t have a app the website and the device looks smartphone user friendly, every 2 weeks a update, oldest device so much chances there is gonna be a karoo 3 in the future.

Woland

by Woland

So how is the navigation experience on 1040 compared with the older models?

I've had various Edge models (810, 520, 830, 1030+) and I've found the navigation laggy and the maps hard to read, so here's hoping they've finally improved it.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

Woland wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:14 pm

I've had various Edge models (810, 520, 830, 1030+) and I've found the navigation laggy and the maps hard to read, so here's hoping they've finally improved it.
Comparing my 1040 to my 1030, the navigation is the same in every way except there is no lag and the courses load almost instantly. You can also run it at higher map detail levels since the unit is so much faster. But if you found the 1030 hard to read, the 1040 likely will be the same. Personally I never had issues with reading or visibility.

Woland

by Woland

Jaisen wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:30 pm
Woland wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:14 pm

Comparing my 1040 to my 1030, the navigation is the same in every way except there is no lag and the courses load almost instantly. You can also run it at higher map detail levels since the unit is so much faster. But if you found the 1030 hard to read, the 1040 likely will be the same. Personally I never had issues with reading or visibility.
Thanks, that's useful info. Good to hear the lag issue is gone.

marian

by marian

any new info if garmin 540 and 840 will come this year? i destroyed the 530 and the 1040 /1030 seems like a big to me. I am temporarily using fenix 6 pro.

nickf

by nickf

alanyu wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:14 pm
mlosco wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:30 pm
Did they fix the super laggy and inaccurate gradient on 1040?

My 830 was fine when I bought it at the first release. However, after the firmware updated to 3.5 or 4.8, the gradient became almost useless. 10-30 sec lag vs. 5-10 sec, and the gradient is mostly 1-2% lower than the actual value after stabilization on a climb. However, Garmin pretend that's normal and never look into it.
The gradient is still behind. I can be using climb pro, and the Garmin beeps and says climb complete, yet there I am still on the freaking climb! On one of the last segments I did the Garmin beeped and said climb complete, yet there was still a good 100ft to the actual top with the gradient still at 10%+. Would be nice if they could get that dialed in.

InSeyne

by InSeyne

I really don't understand all this talk about laggy units, surely it's obvious it will take a few moments to download maps etc. We seem to live in a society where everything has to be instantaneous! Get real.
I am still using an edge 1000 which still operates perfectly, battery life is circa 8 hours which although could be better is ok for my rides mostly 4-6 hours. I have considered an upgrade to a 1030 plus (decided not to until the current unit becomes problematic) but not prepared to pay for the 1040 at the moment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com