New garmin product 1040edge, 840, 540

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

petal666

by petal666

abLEmiaB wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:42 am
And yet if I search for 520 and 530 GPS lock issues the problem still affects people. So yeah, I want a new 540 or 840 head unit if it solves that problem but if it doesn't I'm throwing money away.
My 530 gets GPS lock within a few seconds. But i use it twice a day. The longer it's off the longer it will take.

goatalope

by goatalope

Rearviewmirror7 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:48 pm
I wonder if we'll see a new 140.
I'd definitely be interested in a 140. Keep it simple. Better battery life and just slightly better mapping and I'd be happy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

njleach

by njleach

petal666 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:25 am
abLEmiaB wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:42 am
And yet if I search for 520 and 530 GPS lock issues the problem still affects people. So yeah, I want a new 540 or 840 head unit if it solves that problem but if it doesn't I'm throwing money away.
My 530 gets GPS lock within a few seconds. But i use it twice a day. The longer it's off the longer it will take.
+1

If you use your Garmin Edge daily, it generally obtains a lock within a few seconds. If you only turn it on once or a couple of times a week, it can take much longer to obtain the GPS lock.

petal666

by petal666

Try an SRM PC8, it's takes minutes every day and forget it if you are moving, it will never get a lock.

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

petal666 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:48 pm
Try an SRM PC8, it's takes minutes every day and forget it if you are moving, it will never get a lock.
You don't understand, this is different 😂

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

milanv wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:27 am
Torbjorn wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:03 am
Eterna7m wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:56 am
Torbjorn wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:44 am

Am I reading this correctly that users will be able to set up/change their data screens from their phone (similar to e.g. Wahoo)? If this is correct it's a paradigm shift from Garmin.
You can do that on the 1040s already
Thanks, I wasn't aware! Does it work well?
Yes, look on any YouTube videos.:wink:
You know, I can't find a single YouTube video even mentioning this, let alone showing it. I see only in DCR's written lengthy review a short mention of it. Since you gave me the ironic "look on any YouTube video" wink, could you link me one? I would like to see how it works in practice. Thanks!

edit: found this from Garmin themselves, which shows it briefly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vwkge15fIQ&t=133s

pesos

by pesos

Is there any chance of di2 integration coming to the explore 2? If not I think the 840 is in my future...

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

guyc wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:59 am
The Karoo screen still has the pull to keep me there.
The Karoo screen was the biggest reason I returned mine. Absolutely unreadable more than half of the time riding.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

currentsea

by currentsea

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:05 pm
guyc wrote:
The Karoo screen was the biggest reason I returned mine. Absolutely unreadable more than half of the time riding.
You returned your Garmin or your Karoo? It reads like you returned your Karoo, and if so I'd be surprised because mine is bright and readable no matter what.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

currentsea wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:26 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
guyc wrote:
You returned your Garmin or your Karoo? It reads like you returned your Karoo, and if so I'd be surprised because mine is bright and readable no matter what.
Seems pretty clear that he returned the Karoo. I haven't seen one live yet but it seems the screen is fantastic until you have to deal with bright sunlight. You probably have to increase screen brightness quite significantly in that case thereby reducing the already limited battery life.

Personally, I want Karoo's software and design competence paired with Wahoo's display and Garmin's battery life.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

k33z

by k33z

That is indeed the best combination...

I went from Wahoo to Karoo 2 and LOVED the Karoo 2 screen when I started it up... but that was inside, in the evening. When outside, the screen is readable, but way more washed out due to the sunlight. Wahoo screens are WAY better in terms of readability.

In the end kept the Karoo 2 because of the software, navigation is just briljant and other features as well. Was hoping the Raom v2 could lure me back to Wahoo, but no real innovation there. Also the new Garmin... lack of innovation in my opinion.

currentsea

by currentsea

thirdsun wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:54 pm
currentsea wrote:
LanceLegstrong wrote:
guyc wrote:
I haven't seen one live yet but it seems the screen is fantastic until you have to deal with bright sunlight. You probably have to increase screen brightness quite significantly in that case thereby reducing the already limited battery life.
I've had mine for a year now, and there's not been a single time I've struggled to read the screen through direct sunlight which is why I'm suprised to hear people have problems. Granted, I live in the UK so beaming sunlight isn't exactly a common occurrence.

The screen has a nice matte coating on it that reduces the glare from sunlight and stops reflections too, and I run my brightness on around 60% at all times.
The K2 has some issues that could be ironed out, but I never considered the screen one of them.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

currentsea wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:01 pm
thirdsun wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:54 pm

I haven't seen one live yet but it seems the screen is fantastic until you have to deal with bright sunlight. You probably have to increase screen brightness quite significantly in that case thereby reducing the already limited battery life.
I've had mine for a year now, and there's not been a single time I've struggled to read the screen through direct sunlight which is why I'm suprised to hear people have problems. Granted, I live in the UK so beaming sunlight isn't exactly a common occurrence.

The screen has a nice matte coating on it that reduces the glare from sunlight and stops reflections too, and I run my brightness on around 60% at all times.
The K2 has some issues that could be ironed out, but I never considered the screen one of them.
That's good to hear. I'm very interested in an upcoming Karoo 3 but display readability in sunlight (compared to my Wahoo Roam) and battery life are my biggest concerns.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

guyc

by guyc

Put me down as another (UK) based user with zero issues with screen readability. Even in the 35c heatwave weather not been an issue for me personally.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

currentsea wrote:
LanceLegstrong wrote:
guyc wrote:

I returned the Karoo because of the screen. Unreadable in most sunny conditions. Was like looking in a mirror.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR