New garmin product 1040edge, 840, 540

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mag

by mag

jlok wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:25 am
Yes, so it's Garmin's fault.

And you're probably talking about a few generations earlier like 810 or 510... that "improved" simply doesn't justify the flagship status of the 1040 and we the earliest adoptors aka pay-to-be-beta-testers won't accept such "explanation".
Agreed. It wasn't meant to be any kind of explanation to excuse them.
However the reality with Garmin is that their software really sucks and you're pretty much always their beta tester. Only near the end-of-life of their product they reach more or less usable state, however at that point they abandon that device as they already released their new toy which means a new beta testing cycle with it.

I've got older Edge 820 with purposedly older software (and with software updates blocked) because even though they fixed some annoying bugs in the later versions and even added few features, they also screwed up the battery life big time. That's just how things are with them.

As I have one pretty old outdoor handheld Garmin device, I remember pretty well how it was with their software many (15+) years ago.
In short: Nothing has improved during all these years. :D

Right now I'm waiting if any interesting new product form some of their competitors pops up. There were rumors about something from Hammerhead coming in the near future so I'll see.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I'm willing to share all my negative experiences with my Garmin products. I just do not have any. I rarely use the computer to find a place, why? Because it sucks. Even if it did not, I doubt if I would use it. I just can't see any use with the type of riding I do.

So, why to people put up with Garmin? Probably because most of us do not have the problems that some people have.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ullmanz

by ullmanz

the only annoying things I am seeing on my 830 are:
- occasional sensor drop and then reconnect
- never delete workouts on the Edge itself. Always connect to the Mac and then just delete the whole directory. Otherwise my unit starts crashing.

I do have to agree though. For a company that long in the business, I'd really would expect a better app and more stable software. Especially because the basics didn't change in the last years
Specialized SL7 - 7.1kg including Garmin mount, bottle cages and pedals

nickf

by nickf

That's the problem with ALL consumer electronics nowadays. We are beta testers for everything. Companies probably save a boatload of time and money to just launch the product and send updates to fix issues. Cars, computers, watches, smart devices, you name it.

On a day-to-day basis with 10+ hours a week using the 1040, using a route 90% of the time, multiple sensors, radar, I experience no issues. Even with my 1030 nothing was terrible, it was just sloooooow to load or calculate a route. Then the digitizer went out on the screen during a trip, why I picked up the 1040. But ordered and replaced the screen on the 1030, good as new.

bobones

by bobones

I'm also very happy with the Garmin products I own (several pairs of Vector 3 pedals, Varia radar and front light, Neo 2 ...) and the support I get from Garmin UK. I've had an 830 for over 4 years and it's been more or less perfect for my needs. It suddently stopped working a couple of months ago, but after a quick call to Garmin support, they sent me out a free replacement even though the warrany had long expired. I use ConnectIQ apps for training with Xert, download routes from RideWithGPS and recording Varia car detections in my fit file. Wahoo computers just don't have anything to compete with CIQ so are a non starter for Xert. I've owned the 500, 510, 820 before this and they've all been fine except the 820 which was woefully underpowered and quickly ditched for the 830. The buttons on my 500 wore out so I have prefered touch screens ever since, and the 830's touchscreen is fantastic as long as you don't put a screen protector over it. I don't think I'll be rushing to buy an 840 because the 830 does everything I need very well.

calicyclist

by calicyclist

I have been consdiering getting a 1040 to use with my new bike. I was most recently using a Wahoo Roamv1 prior to the crash I had in January. I have two main concerns about Garmin that I have read varying reports about online and I was looking to hear feedback from the crew here and haven't seen a ton of discussion about them in this thread.

1) Gradient Lag. There are dozens of pages in the Garmin Support forums of people complaining about totally unacceptable gradient display lags in the neighborhood of 20-30s. At one point a beta came out that a lot of people claimed addressed it and then several weeks later everyone said it came back. So for the people using 1040s - do you not have gradient as an active field on your screen? Is it not important to you? Or are you not seeing this specific lag which so many are complaining about?

2) Touchscreen in rain or sweaty conditions. DCRainmaker seemed to state that this wasn't an issue in his mostly glowing review of the product but I have seen other reviews in a variety of places where people said the units started changing pages on their own in the rain and just generally it was hard to control them when they were super sweaty. How is this working out for the 1040 owners here?

Thanks!
Argonaut RM3 | Pivot Trail 429

RDY

by RDY

calicyclist wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:42 pm
I have been consdiering getting a 1040 to use with my new bike. I was most recently using a Wahoo Roamv1 prior to the crash I had in January. I have two main concerns about Garmin that I have read varying reports about online and I was looking to hear feedback from the crew here and haven't seen a ton of discussion about them in this thread.

1) Gradient Lag. There are dozens of pages in the Garmin Support forums of people complaining about totally unacceptable gradient display lags in the neighborhood of 20-30s. At one point a beta came out that a lot of people claimed addressed it and then several weeks later everyone said it came back. So for the people using 1040s - do you not have gradient as an active field on your screen? Is it not important to you? Or are you not seeing this specific lag which so many are complaining about?

2) Touchscreen in rain or sweaty conditions. DCRainmaker seemed to state that this wasn't an issue in his mostly glowing review of the product but I have seen other reviews in a variety of places where people said the units started changing pages on their own in the rain and just generally it was hard to control them when they were super sweaty. How is this working out for the 1040 owners here?

Thanks!
Wahoo gradient lag (everything lag) is much worse in my experience. Though it's still not good on Garmin - just less shit than Wahoo and Karoo 2. If this is important to you, you might want to look at something cheaper from IGPSport or Bryton, both have little gradient lag in my experience, even if they do have other issues.

Never had those touchscreen issues on the 830.

nickf

by nickf

calicyclist wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:42 pm

Thanks!
My 1030 set on medium sensitivity would start ghosting and changing data screens when wet or sweat on. When I lived in Florida and would just lock the touch screen. The 1040 is much better, whether it's software or maybe a different digitizer for dealing with sweat and rain. If really saturated and trying to control the screen, yes even the 1040 can act up or not recognize a swipe.

jlok

by jlok

bobones wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:02 pm
I'm also very happy with the Garmin products I own (several pairs of Vector 3 pedals, Varia radar and front light, Neo 2 ...) and the support I get from Garmin UK. I've had an 830 for over 4 years and it's been more or less perfect for my needs. It suddently stopped working a couple of months ago, but after a quick call to Garmin support, they sent me out a free replacement even though the warrany had long expired. I use ConnectIQ apps for training with Xert, download routes from RideWithGPS and recording Varia car detections in my fit file. Wahoo computers just don't have anything to compete with CIQ so are a non starter for Xert. I've owned the 500, 510, 820 before this and they've all been fine except the 820 which was woefully underpowered and quickly ditched for the 830. The buttons on my 500 wore out so I have prefered touch screens ever since, and the 830's touchscreen is fantastic as long as you don't put a screen protector over it. I don't think I'll be rushing to buy an 840 because the 830 does everything I need very well.
The Xert app and datafields plus great hardware design are why I stayed on Garmin, and yet didn't work out of the gate on 1040... I won't buy Garmin devices until after at least 1 year since (beta) product release.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

kervelo

by kervelo

Butcher wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:13 pm
So, why to people put up with Garmin? Probably because most of us do not have the problems that some people have.
Another reason is that switching to another product would most likely just bring different type of problems. Also, the ecosystem lock-in is a big factor: if you have uploaded your workouts to some platform for years or even decades, switching to some other ecosystem is not something you are willing to do every time a new bike computer is released by a Garmin competitor.

I don't have any real problems with my Garmin computers and pedals, but I am also very careful not to be the first to install their updates etc.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I've had fewer problems with my various Garmins than I had with my ELEMNT Bolt. I look forward to seeing real competition in this space...maybe from the Karoo 3, but Wahoo is not the answer.

Especially now that the entire company is on life support and their firmware devs have been seemingly laid off.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:13 am

Especially now that the entire company is on life support and their firmware devs have been seemingly laid off.
Where did you hear/read about that ?

My Bolt v1 has been great, and still prefer it to Garmin, but can see it'll need replacing soon.

So is Wahoo looking a bit sick due to the Trainer market issues or ?

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

TobinHatesYou wrote:I've had fewer problems with my various Garmins than I had with my ELEMNT Bolt. I look forward to seeing real competition in this space...maybe from the Karoo 3, but Wahoo is not the answer.

Where did you hear about the devs being laid off?

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:03 am
Where did you hear about the devs being laid off?

Basso Diamante eps 12
https://road.cc/content/news/strava-and ... rce-297885

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

They couldn't continue to operate without some kind of firmware development capability. But it is possible they were all laid off ... they might have chosen to outsource it all. Which, frankly, could only improve things. The Bolt V2 has been an absolute shitshow.