New garmin product 1040edge, 840, 540

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pushpush

by pushpush

Still a bit of a dumpster fire. Stability for me has improved but usability has not. Release cadence has also slowed significantly. I've had to disable a number of features to make it liveable, which is unfortunate. I miss audio alerts for some things, but couldnt live with them for ALL the things all the time. I still get pointless and unwanted off-segment alerts but at least I can't hear it beeping incessantly. I miss climbpro, but I dont miss it constantly blowing up Live Segments when I want them most. Syncing is still hit and miss unless you force it manually. Just stupid things that Garmin should have worked out by now.

There's not a better alternative at the moment, so I'm sticking it out. Something I'm sure Garmin are all too aware of.

njleach

by njleach

My 840 solar has largely been problem-free. The only issue I've experienced thus far has been the WiFi sync not working, so after every ride i'm having to use the Garmin Connect app on the phone to sync, which seems to take a LONG time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joesch

by joesch

Have the initial usability issues with the 540 highlighted by Ray at DCR been addressed?
I would like to replace my 2016 Edge 520 unit and upgrade to the 540 as I am fine with buttons as long as they work. Personally, for my use case, I see no sports feature that would justify 100+EUR more.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

So far, the only issue I have had with my 840 has been operator error. Sure wish my Varia Vision worked with this. I hate having to put an old 820 in my back pocket.

One thing I can say, the 820 does not keep a good record of the speed. It seems that the 840 has a much better way to see the GPS satellites while under the trees. Much more consistant. The 820 drops a good 10mph or more in the shade.

jadedaid

by jadedaid

So I am having no end of issues with my 1040 solar.

About half of my rides do not sync with strava, necessitating a download of the file from connect or the device itself.

The activity itself may not load in connect and the fit file from the device is empty, resulting in a lost ride.

Courses that I download through third party apps (like RideWithGPS) and then open in connect usually don't send to the device even when I manually prompt it. They appear in the Connect app courses list.

Has anyone else had similar issues and been able to resolve them? I have their watches and they have been phenomenal, never having any issues with syncing either with connect or third party apps like strava.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

The Garmin devices can only store like 100 courses. So you need to delete them periodically.

RDY

by RDY

Anyone know how to disable nag prompts to stay in zone during workouts? They obscure important data.