New garmin product 1040edge, 840, 540

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Yoln

by Yoln

Just received an email from R&A cycles announcing pre orders of the new Edge 1040, so that's confirmed

Anybody has heard anything about a potential 840 and 540 coming alongside?

https://www.racycles.com/product/detail/25479
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

Highly doubt the 840/540 will be updated at least for another year or two since that's how they did the xx30 updates. The 830/530 were only released in 2019, while the 1030 was in 2017. 4-5 year product cycle with a refresh (like the Plus models) seems about right.

Yoln

by Yoln

But maybe a 530/830 plus

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Why you posted a new thread?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165534
The original title is kinda flawed I admit though.

JayDee81

by JayDee81

Cemicar wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 1:47 am
Why you posted a new thread?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165534
The original title is kinda flawed I admit though.
That thread started as a pure speculation/question about the new range. This one started after we have evidence of 1040 coming and it also has a way better name so I am voting for continuing in this thread.

Yoln

by Yoln

Doesn't seem like a ton of new capabilities in the edge 1040 except solar, I actually don't see anything new...

Also copied the description as I was anticipating this was a mistake on R&A cycles side (the link I posted yesterday is now down...)

Edge 1040 $599.99
(up to 35 hours; 70 hours in power save)
The Edge 1040 can last up to 70 hours in battery saver mode and 35 hours with demanding usage.
solar:

Edge 1040 Solar $749.99
(up to 35 hours; 100 hours in solar mode)
With solar charging, the Edge 1040 can last up to 100 hours in solar battery saver mode and 45 hours with demanding usage
everything else seems the same:
EDGE 1040 SOLAR CYCLING COMPUTER INFORMATION

The Garmin Edge is back once again with a new and improved design as the Edge 1040. This is the Solar version which draws from the sun to drastically increase battery life. It is Garmin’s first GPS computer to use solar technology and multi-band GNSS technology to ride longer and get proper coverage in changing environments. With solar charging, the Edge 1040 can last up to 100 hours in solar battery saver mode and 45 hours with demanding usage. This world class system features processing time that is faster than ever along with improved screen resolution and touch responsiveness. Whether you are a road cyclist or a trail rider, this computer will improve your ride and help you go faster every time out.

In addition to its technical advances, the Garmin Edge 1040 will serve as your personal training companion, pushing for calculated improvements on every ride. The computer will gather data on the rider’s ability such as weekly training loads and recovery time to suggest personalized workouts on every ride. That information creates the perfect workout to help an individual rider progress in terms of performance every time they hit the road or trail. These personalized workouts easily sync from your Garmin Connect App to your Edge 1040. The workouts can also be altered to fit your liking through this app and can work with sensors to identify strengths and weaknesses. The Training Peaks and Trainer Road apps are also compatible with this computer and allow for seamless syncing.

As always, the Garmin Edge 1040 includes a world class navigation system. There is a “pause navigation” feature which allows for some extra freedom to veer off course. Rather than automatically rerouting, it will hold your place until you decide to get back on your original route. Of course, the rerouting option is still there, and the Edge will provide multiple options of where to rejoin the original route. For the rider who likes to plan ahead on Strava, Komoot, and other apps, the Edge 1040 includes third party integration to automatically sync to Garmin Connect and the computer itself. With the Live Track course sharing feature, other riders can follow along with your route with ease from a smartphone or Garmin unit.

Features like the Climb Pro will help riders monitor their efficiency, leading to faster times than ever on routes. Climb Pro shows exactly how much distance is left in a climb and the gradient of the remaining terrain. This helps riders know exactly how much energy to put into each pedal stroke to avoid too much fatigue or avoid going to slow. A Power Guide feature also helps you manage your efforts and decide how much effort you can afford to use.

The Garmin Edge 1040 is just as good for trail riders and road cyclists. As every mountain bike rider knows, the trails are extremely unpredictable and nearly impossible to memorize. Garmin offers a Mountain Bike Dynamics feature which keeps track of every detail from distance to the amount of jumps the rider encounters. Grit measurements essentially rate how difficult a course was while flow measurements show a rider how well they navigated it. This gives trail riders something to strive for and a way to measure their improvement like never before. The Garmin Edge 1040 Solar keeps you riding all day.

### SPECIFICATIONS
INCLUDED Edge 1040, flush out-front mount, standard mount, tether, USB-A to USB-C cable, documentation
DIMENSIONS 2.3 x 4.6 x 0.8 inches (58 x 114 x 19mm); 3.5” color display
DISPLAY RESOLUTION 282 x 470 pixels
WEIGHT 4.4oz (126 grams)
BATTERY Rechargeable lithium-ion (up to 35 hours; 100 hours in solar mode)
WATER RATING IPX7 (withstand 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes)
MEMORY 32GB
CONNECTIVITY Bluetooth, ANT+, WiFi, Varia Remote, Shimano Di2 Integration, Smart Trainer Control

alanyu

by alanyu

The MTK Muli-band GPS should be in principle much better than the previous sony single-band GPS. The issue of frequent losing GPS under shadow is annoying.
What I want to see is the improvement of the gradient. It's super laggy on 530/830/1030plus, way slower than previous models and their competitors.

Yoln

by Yoln

I would already appreciate if they fixed climberPro so that when I take a detour it doesn't totally mess it up.

At the moment, if on a ride I have a climb at mile 10 and add .5 mile to grab a coffee, the climb will "start" on the 540 when I'm already .5 miles into the climb. That's super annoying

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

It's high time we had a new mid size cycle computer to replace the Garmin 530 and Wahoo Bolt, both showing their age.
I wish Apple or someone with some clout would make one.
Then it would be reliable and not buggy, with maybe some real innovation, like colour hi-def screens, built in camera, speech recognition, etc.
Maybe it's just me, but the current crop (I use Wahoo Bolt) are just a bit 'meh'.....

thirdsun

by thirdsun

cyclespeed wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:39 pm
It's high time we had a new mid size cycle computer to replace the Garmin 530 and Wahoo Bolt, both showing their age.
Then it would be reliable and not buggy, with maybe some real innovation, like colour hi-def screens, built in camera, speech recognition, etc.
Maybe it's just me, but the current crop (I use Wahoo Bolt) are just a bit 'meh'.....
The Bolt was just upgraded. If you want something more progressive and closer to a smartphone there's also the Hammerhead Karoo 2.

I think your feature wishlist clashes with the requirement of good battery life. Also, I like Apple a lot but judging by their watch they will never consider ANT+ as connectivity option. It's not a product category that fits Apple anyway. Way too specific without any mainstream appeal.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Niether the Bolt nor the 530 are that old. I imagine since it just had a refresh, it will be at least 2-3 years before we see a Bolt refresh. We might see a new "540" in 2023 or 2024 but I doubt it before then, and I doubt you'll see anything revolutionary on either of them even when new models come out. It's a pretty small market when you comare it to cell phones and to be honest - simple devices seems to work pretty well. Heck the Bolt was black and white up until the last year and it was competitive.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Cemicar

by Cemicar

JayDee81 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:02 am
That thread started as a pure speculation/question about the new range. This one started after we have evidence of 1040 coming and it also has a way better name so I am voting for continuing in this thread.
I have zero problem with this thread, unless somebody bumps an old one and we have multiple threads with the same topic at once (but I suspect which is many members here rather like...).

Also don't forget about a possible 140. It may even come earlier than 540/840.

EDIT: I TOLD YOU SO!
Attachments
why we shouldn't have multiple threads
why we shouldn't have multiple threads
Last edited by Cemicar on Sat May 28, 2022 7:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

justonwo

by justonwo

cyclespeed wrote:
Agree with you. Still can't understand how Garmin maintains its market share with buggy firmware and underwhelming hardware.
2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 AXS Red (Enve SES 3.4 Disc, Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

Retired: 2014 S-Works Roubaix
2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Job specific hardware really isn’t Apple’s game these days. They want to make products/services for the occasional exerciser not someone who is training in a serial fashion. Now they aren’t opposed with integration and tying-in to their services like the the Find My platform and the rest of iCloud…

Just imagine if eTap shifters showed up on Find My.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

thirdsun wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:32 pm
cyclespeed wrote:
The Bolt was just upgraded. If you want something more progressive and closer to a smartphone there's also the Hammerhead Karoo 2.

I think your feature wishlist clashes with the requirement of good battery life. Also, I like Apple a lot but judging by their watch they will never consider ANT+ as connectivity option. It's not a product category that fits Apple anyway. Way too specific without any mainstream appeal.
I hear Shimano just stopped Hammerhead using Di2 data, so they're out for me as I love to see my gear position on screen, (probably a big aero watt saver, (I can explain!!)) and the screen changing top button on the shifters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com