New garmin product 1040edge, 840, 540

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tonytony

by Tonytony

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:41 pm
BigBoyND wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:04 am
Tonytony wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 7:37 am
When my navigation is on, I sometimes get a wrong pop-up when I need to make a turn. Most of the time it's a random turn somewhere else in the route. Someone has the same problem?
This is the only problem I've got with my edge 530, apart from that it's really good. Long battery life (20h with navigation), fast enough,...
I've had this happen, rarely. I think it can happen where I drop points when building routes in Strava. Hasn't happened in a while so maybe it's been fixed with an update.
I think this typically occurs due to errors with the base map when a route is created. I have seen this on routes I mapped with RideWithGps in which I am clicking along the roads with the mouse and the segments appear to be a contininous line but actually includes a small jog or detour due to an erroneous road junction/intersection on the base map.
I usually make my routes with garmin connect and I select the 'popularity trend' for mapping the route, maybe the 'follow routes' can solve the issue. Last month I did some routes from the strava map builder and so far no probs.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

It's live on the Garmin site. Solar charging is the only difference between the 2 models correct?
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

usr

by usr

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:21 am
It's live on the Garmin site. Solar charging is the only difference between the 2 models correct?
Frame color, and apparently the solar comes with a bundled silicone shell in case you don't like that frame color (but if you refuse the premium expense, your cheapness will be there for everybody to see, because neither the plain one nor the bundle list the shell)

Edit: no, apparently solar also gets more flash memory, up to 64g from 32. Might actually be a meaningful difference for those who purchase topo maps

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

usr wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:25 am
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:21 am
your cheapness will be there for everybody to see
Damnit Garmin, I know what you're doing.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Treptay

by Treptay

The 1040 looks nice, but too expensive. If the 540 and varia light get usb-c, I would be interested to buy them in the next year or two

kode54

by kode54

I can't believe the cost! overall form factor is same...with large bezel and clunky shape.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Treptay wrote:The 1040 looks nice, but too expensive. If the 540 and varia light get usb-c, I would be interested to buy them in the next year or two
I’d definitely still be using a varia if they required a super exotic proprietary cable. I don’t ever ride without it.
I may understand not wanting to have twenty different cables lying the drawer but I do not think using a tiny miniusb to usb c adapter is a huge sacrifice for the varias benefit. .

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Man, the 3 cycling computer makers now all have decerning features that I really like, but in the end, I kinda have to stick with the Bolt V2.
I really like the many little features like fueling reminders, pacing, altitude acclimatization etc. That Garmin has.
The climbing feature on both Garmin and Hammerhead is significantly superior to that thing on the Wahoo.
But I just can't justify putting 65g of extra weight on my bike for these gimmicks, when I otherwise spend top dollar to shed a few grams here and there.
A sub 85g 840, with all the same features, just smaller screen and less battery life would be perfect for me.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

usr

by usr

kode54 wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:11 pm
I can't believe the cost!
Yeah, compared to the rest of the bike market, it's almost absurdly cheap. Exactly the same price as 1030 plus and 1030 on introduction, that was five years ago!

usr

by usr

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:59 am
A sub 85g 840, with all the same features, just smaller screen and less battery life would be perfect for me.
My speculative prediction is that there won't be a 540 without a touchscreen, too much hassle (read: development cost) to make the otherwise identical software work with buttons alone. So in order to offer something in that price range that isn't artificially crippled, a 530 successor (540 or perhaps named different?) might just skip on screen and battery, so all the features of the 1040 in 130 size.

Treptay

by Treptay

usr wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:51 am
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:59 am
My speculative prediction is that there won't be a 540 without a touchscreen, too much hassle (read: development cost) to make the otherwise identical software work with buttons alone. So in order to offer something in that price range that isn't artificially crippled, a 530 successor (540 or perhaps named different?) might just skip on screen and battery, so all the features of the 1040 in 130 size.
As long as it has buttons additionally to control evrything during the ride, that would be fine. However, what would then be the difference between 540 and 840 ?

usr

by usr

Treptay wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:07 am
As long as it has buttons additionally to control evrything during the ride, that would be fine. However, what would then be the difference between 540 and 840 ?
Same as the difference between 1040 and 840 (and between 1030/830): size and battery runtime, obviously. (and a huge gap in price, but that has been true at least since the 530 and likely also long before)

They don't even combine buttons and touch for the top of the line 1040, which I was actually hoping for (5x: buttons, 8x: touch, 10x: both would kind of make sense I think), you certainly couldn't expect that for a device offered at half the price.

Treptay

by Treptay

usr wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:14 am
Treptay wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:07 am
Same as the difference between 1040 and 840 (and between 1030/830): size and battery runtime, obviously. (and a huge gap in price, but that has been true at least since the 530 and likely also long before)

They don't even combine buttons and touch for the top of the line 1040, which I was actually hoping for (5x: buttons, 8x: touch, 10x: both would kind of make sense I think), you certainly couldn't expect that for a device offered at half the price.
I thought the 530 and 830 had the same size and same battery life, only difference beeing the touchscreen? I don't see why they would change that with the 840 and 540.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

usr

by usr

The reason why I suspect a change is that their software development would me much easier if they could simply assume that every device the software runs on has a touch screen and not ask themselves, at every corner, "ok, now how do we get this to work on the 530?" That's a cost that would only make sense economically if they sold the one with the buttons at a premium. But the 530 was the lowest margin offering in that generation.

DCR mentions some hints given by Garmin employees that nothing of the new UI seen on the 1040 will appear on any x30ies, this would be consistent with "we removed the part that dealt with the button-only nature of the 530"

Yeah, they might repeat the "530 is the 830 just with buttons instead of a touchscreen and much cheaper because five is a lower number than eight", but I wouldn't be surprised at all if instead they returned to the size difference of the 800/500 and 810/510 era. Perhaps also some minor crippling software side, but that would seriously weaken its position against bolt2, I wouldn't expect that. A software-crippled 840 wouldn't be a 540, it would be an 840 explore.