New garmin product 1040edge, 840, 540

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bmrk

by bmrk

Spinnekop wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 11:38 am
bmrk wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 10:23 am
Spinnekop wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 9:36 am
bmrk wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 7:24 am

Faster at what? Half a second when switching pages?
Semantics........
The question was "is it faster?"
The answer is "yes"

I enjoy it being faster. I don't care about the reason why it is faster. It just is.

Everyone is hammering about "same hardware" but no one is appreciating or calculating the SW developer that sat there for hours making it BETTER.
And to me..........530 vs 540 software.........HUGE improvement.
Really? So no processor upgrades but restricted software changes that make it seems faster that could likely be released to the 530 as well (same hardware) and we should appreciate the mismanagement of time of software development teams?

Apple and Microsoft at some point made their operating systems seem faster by opening the applications earlier before they where fully loaded. Users had the impression that the systems where faster but the applications where useable under the same amount of time of the previous OS version.

There is no actual sw update despite minor optimizations to make it seem more responsive. It would make sense if thew frequency of inteaction with the device is high but i am occupied riding the bike and only care about being presented with the information rather than messing with the device.
Sure.
Tell you what. You do you. I'll do me. I am enjoying the 840 to the max. In fact, the past week I have added 400km to mine.
You stay on your 530 and enjoy that.

Very easy though. You don't like the product or the way a company does their business model....fine. Don't buy it.
How cool is that.

Let's move on to the actual discussion.......
Don't be dismissive. If you can't specify, quantify nor qualify your point don't force it on people with different opinions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

Didn't DCR compared x40 with x30, and X40 is (much) faster? Also Fxking Garmin won't update x30 to the new system/sw/fw as x40

tomtom

by tomtom

Spinnekop wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 11:38 am
bmrk wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 10:23 am
Spinnekop wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 9:36 am
bmrk wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 7:24 am

Faster at what? Half a second when switching pages?
Semantics........
The question was "is it faster?"
The answer is "yes"

I enjoy it being faster. I don't care about the reason why it is faster. It just is.

Everyone is hammering about "same hardware" but no one is appreciating or calculating the SW developer that sat there for hours making it BETTER.
And to me..........530 vs 540 software.........HUGE improvement.
Really? So no processor upgrades but restricted software changes that make it seems faster that could likely be released to the 530 as well (same hardware) and we should appreciate the mismanagement of time of software development teams?

Apple and Microsoft at some point made their operating systems seem faster by opening the applications earlier before they where fully loaded. Users had the impression that the systems where faster but the applications where useable under the same amount of time of the previous OS version.

There is no actual sw update despite minor optimizations to make it seem more responsive. It would make sense if thew frequency of inteaction with the device is high but i am occupied riding the bike and only care about being presented with the information rather than messing with the device.
Sure.
Tell you what. You do you. I'll do me. I am enjoying the 840 to the max. In fact, the past week I have added 400km to mine.
You stay on your 530 and enjoy that.

Very easy though. You don't like the product or the way a company does their business model....fine. Don't buy it.
How cool is that.

Let's move on to the actual discussion.......
+1 :thumbup: !
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

nunokas

by nunokas

Yes let's move on to the actual discussion... It's more stable and bug free than 1040 at launching?

parajba

by parajba

I have a 4 year old Bolt v1 with a crap battery, it lasts around 7h on a full charge. I value the screen readability, compact size and battery life. Maps too, but I use it mostly for racing during the spring and summer and for training during the autumn and winter, with some new routes every now and then.

One million dollar question, but has anybody moved across from a bolt v1 to a let's say 540?

k33z

by k33z

Nothing will beat Wahoo in terms of screen readability. I went from Wahoo Roam to Hammerhead Karoo 2 and now to Garmin.

I actually HATE Garmin in terms of UI, but they made a good step in the right direction with the x40 series. Screen readability is less good on Garmin compared to Wahoo, but much better then Hammerhead Karoo 2 (many people praise that screen, I actually hated it in sunlight).

Battery life is amazing on x40 Garmin units.

In the end I kind of appreciate the x40 Garmin that I now have. I feel it is a shitty product (feels like something from the stone age), but all the units are a compromise and at the moment the x40 Garmins seem like the best one for me.

Do look forward to Karoo 3, might then jump back to Hammerhead.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

parajba wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 5:39 am
I have a 4 year old Bolt v1 with a crap battery, it lasts around 7h on a full charge. I value the screen readability, compact size and battery life. Maps too, but I use it mostly for racing during the spring and summer and for training during the autumn and winter, with some new routes every now and then.

One million dollar question, but has anybody moved across from a bolt v1 to a let's say 540?
I'm in the same boat with my Bolt v2. I'm torn between the Bolt v2 or completely jumping to the Garmin world.

parajba

by parajba

Thanks both, I would exclude the Karoos as too big. It's either the Bolt v2 or Edge 540, I don't like the touchscreen so the 840 is a no no. I do feel that the UI and screen of the Garmin is not as good as the Bolt v2, and that the only advantage of the Edge is the battery life. I might get the Bolt v2 one of these days and be done with it. What's a realistic battery life with routing on?

jayjay

by jayjay

parajba wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:42 am
Thanks both, I would exclude the Karoos as too big. It's either the Bolt v2 or Edge 540, I don't like the touchscreen so the 840 is a no no. I do feel that the UI and screen of the Garmin is not as good as the Bolt v2, and that the only advantage of the Edge is the battery life. I might get the Bolt v2 one of these days and be done with it. What's a realistic battery life with routing on?
The Edge 840 has buttons AND the touchscreen.

m3bas

by m3bas

Have had a couple of rides on the 840, coming from the 830.
Positives- set up data screens from the app
-New font style seems better
-Climbpro- undecided here, I live in a hilly area so its constantly coming up, will change to large climbs only and see how it goes. Also can't read the distance to go details without my glasses as its very small font
-buttons are great as I used to find changing the screen impossible in the rain
-intro screen as some useful data but nothing you can't see in the app anyway

Negatives- its bigger but screen same size!
-heavier
-cost

Overall, slightly better but I definitely wouldn't bother if you have an 830 for the cost.

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

Bolt V2 seems good but the start time is soooo slow. Battery life is also another negative.

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

I've just received my E840 yesterday. Initial thoughts compared to E830

- USB-C port cover is much flimsier than on E830, does not seem to hold well in place. They should have gone with deeper rubber gasket to allow better sealing

- The unit itself feels a bit bulkier than E830 due to larger bezel around the screen. I liked how E830 was stretched out with narrow bezeles

- UI feels faster, but looks to be optimized for bigger screen like E1040. On E830 I never had a feeling that I don't have enough screen space

- Side buttons. Need to get used to them, because some of UI functionality looks to heavily rely on them. I don't know if it's good or bad, but mid-ride it may require extra effort to get to some menus compared to E830

Will need to test it on a road, but those are my initial impressions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robeambro

by robeambro

Hi all, a stupid question.. Do solar-powered units last longer? I mean in terms of lifecycle. I'm in the market for a new head unit after my 6 year old Bolt v1 is seeing its battery life get way too low, and i intend to keep its replacement for as long as possible.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

[quote=robeambro post_id=1810221 time=1686657470 user_id=73957]
Hi all, a stupid question.. Do solar-powered units last longer? I mean in terms of lifecycle. I'm in the market for a new head unit after my 6 year old Bolt v1 is seeing its battery life get way too low, and i intend to keep its replacement for as long as possible.
[/quote]

Not sure if the solar lasts longer. A six year old computer is way behind in technology. I did just replace my 4 year old Garmin 530 with a 540 Edge. Didn't do solar since the benefit is almost non-existant. If it takes Garmin 4 to 5 years to come out with the 550 and its revolutionary verses evoltionary I'm in!

robeambro

by robeambro

Juanmoretime wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:15 pm
robeambro wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:57 pm
Not sure if the solar lasts longer. A six year old computer is way behind in technology. I did just replace my 4 year old Garmin 530 with a 540 Edge. Didn't do solar since the benefit is almost non-existant. If it takes Garmin 4 to 5 years to come out with the 550 and its revolutionary verses evoltionary I'm in!
Yeah I appreciate a old computer may be behind in technology but I don't particularly care about latest tech when it comes to head units - I just want to understand whether there's a unit (be it solar or not, be it Garmin or not) which can be expected, when bought today, to have a longer lifespan than its competitors. If solar doesn't add lifespan for whatever reason then I will gladly look at the 530 instead.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com